The Long Road Back

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
You know what you're doing. The hardest part is trying to do what you were doing pre baby and with that original knee and doing it now. Finding the hours in the day are tough, especially with your kind of schedule. I've found out I have to get out during lunch, otherwise im boned for sure the rest of the day. Especially with the guilt trip; hate leaving little dude at home to go pedal a bicycle. Right now it just feels weird.

xc62701

Well feeling sick and being totally drained of energy hasn't helped the last few days. But on the upside the weekend is looking good and I hope to get some decent ride time in. Looking to ride today, fri, sat, and sun and put 8 hours in over the next few days.

xc62701

On the bike side of things I'm trying to get my bike situation all figured out for the upcoming season. I've decided to get away from at least one maybe two of my bikes as it doesn't make sense to have duplicate rides on my garage. I'll have my Cannondale FSI up for sale soon and then my Scalpel may be next. If I do that I need a FS race bike. That means a Giant at this point. I rode the 27.5 anthem advanced 1 at the Jungle Jam last year and it's the closest bike I've ever felt to my scalpel. That may be the ticket for this upcoming season but I'm tentative about moving away from the 29'er.

I've been reading some rumors of a possible new Giant 29'er FS race bike but it's getting close to the upcoming season and I'd think something would be released by now. I've gotta get that figured out shortly and get those other bikes up for sale soon if so.

The Kalmyk

I believe in the Pareto Theory. So a few influential folks decided to go in the direction of 650b and also decided "27.5" was easier to market for multiple reasons. That said, I want one but not having differentiated products available is a no no, imo. Give a bike that can run both I'm happy.

Since I know you've sacrificed to be an elite local racer, it is safe to assume you have a profound understanding of what you want in a race bike. Could you elaborate more on your statement of the Anthem being the closest to your Scalpel?

xc62701

I believe in the Pareto Theory. So a few influential folks decided to go in the direction of 650b and also decided "27.5" was easier to market for multiple reasons. That said, I want one but not having differentiated products available is a no no, imo. Give a bike that can run both I'm happy.

Since I know you've sacrificed to be an elite local racer, it is safe to assume you have a profound understanding of what you want in a race bike. Could you elaborate more on your statement of the Anthem being the closest to your Scalpel?

I would say it's the geometry, fit and handling characteristics. I tried to ignore the fact that it was a 27.5 and just ride it like my scalpel. The handling was spot on, the lack of pedal bob was great, and the fit felt a lot like my scalpel. Other bikes when I've rode them just felt off but this bike felt very similar. The smaller wheels didn't seem to hang up anywhere and rolled along like I was on the 29'er. I'm jungle there's plenty of places to have clearance and tracking issues and this bike performed well and even the elongated from travel felt right at home to someone that honestly would prefer to go back to 80mm of travel.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
not to start a 29/27.5 argument here, but i think a place like jungle is not the end all be all place to test a straight race bike. we at least agree that jungle is unlike any other place to ride. i still think a 27.5 bike with 120mm up front would be a great do everything bike, so i'm just as curious as you are, just afraid to really commit to it. plus, bikes are expensive :p

i would be curious if you would feel the same at a place like the lewis morris race loop where the tracking/clearance is not an issue and i would have to think the 29 wheel would be the one to pick.

xc62701

not to start a 29/27.5 argument here, but i think a place like jungle is not the end all be all place to test a straight race bike. we at least agree that jungle is unlike any other place to ride. i still think a 27.5 bike with 120mm up front would be a great do everything bike, so i'm just as curious as you are, just afraid to really commit to it. plus, bikes are expensive :p

i would be curious if you would feel the same at a place like the lewis morris race loop where the tracking/clearance is not an issue and i would have to think the 29 wheel would be the one to pick.

I think you're right that's why I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I wish they had a 29" option and I'd be all over it. Especially considering all of the endurance races I think that's really the way to go. At this point I still LOVE my scalpel, just the lefty keeps letting me down. I really want to be done with that headache all together and get back to a more reliable fork. The cannondale geometry works well for me too but if the bike doesn't work the geometry doesn't matter. So my main options now are Giant, SantaCruz or Salsa and the Giant seems to be the raciest option I have.

As a side note I have been planning to upgrade my Lynskey hardtail as I know that is a solid bike. I would still like a nice light FS for my collection.

xc62701

This weekend was a great one for riding. Thank goodness I felt well enough to get out and take advantage of it. Since Tuesday I was flat on my back, but felt progressively better each day. I hit the trainer Thursday night and the rollers Friday. Saturday I hit my usual Patriots Path/Dickerson Mine loop and took it easy and had a blast. Trails were in great shape and I actually broke out the mtb for this one. Holy hell it feels so much quicker and responsive than my fatbike. I've put tons of miles on the Beargrease lately and it's nice to bring out the Lynskey with the lack of snow and great conditions. So why not. For Sunday I was back on the Beargrease for a nice long ride. I started out from the Trade Zone and headed up to KVSP for a loop. Then through Allamuchy to the tunnel of death over to Stephens for a last loop to get close to 4 hours. My group had a few mechanicals or else we would have been over in Deer Park as well. Trails were great and it was nice to ride in the sun yesterday.

On the diet side of things I actually had beer, pizza, ice cream, and meatloaf and still dropped over a pound. I'm down to 181.2 this morning. The goal for the end of the month was 182 so I'm there. More to go before I can consider being light enough to be competitive again. Looking to get to 170 by the end of March. Motivation is still good. Hopeful for the next few months.

xc62701

So here's some more insight on my nutrition intake and goals for the future. I guess what I've been concentrating on has been working. I hit the scale this morning and I'm 178.8. That's probably lower than at any point last year and I'm still going strong, eating clean, and getting my workouts in. I feel great overall. Mostly tired if my little one isn't sleeping which seems to be this week. Twice so far she has been up pretty much all night after 2 am. That makes for a rough day to follow. My goal is 170 by the end of March and at this rate I should be seeing that pretty soon. The best I ever raced at was in the mid 150's(2010/2011). I don't know if I'll be able to get to that anytime soon if ever. That was when I had a lot of time to ride and focus on diet. These days I'm squeezing in what I can and will be more than happy if I can settle in the mid to low 160's. I'll have to see how that pans out. I want to really focus on diet until April 1st which is my first 6 hour race. After that I'll look to keep more consistent fueling and build for races. That way hopefully it will keep my legs going and recovering and not focus so much on cutting calories. If I can cut a few more though the race season and maintain for cross. That would be awesome.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
So here's some more insight on my nutrition intake and goals for the future. I guess what I've been concentrating on has been working. I hit the scale this morning and I'm 178.8. That's probably lower than at any point last year and I'm still going strong, eating clean, and getting my workouts in. I feel great overall. Mostly tired if my little one isn't sleeping which seems to be this week. Twice so far she has been up pretty much all night after 2 am. That makes for a rough day to follow. My goal is 170 by the end of March and at this rate I should be seeing that pretty soon. The best I ever raced at was in the mid 150's(2010/2011). I don't know if I'll be able to get to that anytime soon if ever. That was when I had a lot of time to ride and focus on diet. These days I'm squeezing in what I can and will be more than happy if I can settle in the mid to low 160's. I'll have to see how that pans out. I want to really focus on diet until April 1st which is my first 6 hour race. After that I'll look to keep more consistent fueling and build for races. That way hopefully it will keep my legs going and recovering and not focus so much on cutting calories. If I can cut a few more though the race season and maintain for cross. That would be awesome.
I was at 196 beginning of last season and went up to 215 by xmas. I rode a ton but ate a ton and a half I guess. I am 208 currently. Hoping to be down to 185 at some point in 2017. Booze free til easter at the earliest and gave up anything that tastes good. 2 hours a day 4 days a week in the gym plus a ride day should hopefully help with that...#shortrackiscoming

xc62701

I was at 196 beginning of last season and went up to 215 by xmas. I rode a ton but ate a ton and a half I guess. I am 208 currently. Hoping to be down to 185 at some point in 2017. Booze free til easter at the earliest and gave up anything that tastes good. 2 hours a day 4 days a week in the gym plus a ride day should hopefully help with that...#shortrackiscoming

Wow that's a lot of gym time. I can't handle the gym that much. I have been doing body weight exercises at home 1-2 days a week for an hour tops. That's been good for strength workouts. I'm still riding 5-6 days a week and really just focusing on my intake now to see how my body responds.

xc62701

I had to do a fitness test last night after getting home at 9, being up since 1:30 am, with little to no food in the previous 5 hours and feeling like I was gonna drop before the test. I got through 8 minutes of VO2 max and wanted to fall off the trainer. The work/coaching/training schedule is hectic right now but I'm hoping it'll pay off in the long run. I'm looking at my weight progress and realizing that if I keep focused on my goals that I should see my end of March weight in the next week or two. It's promising.

xc62701

Man, 8 min fitness test on the trainer? Thats GOT to be harder than any 101 mile race.
Lol...
I would rather have done. 100 miler for sure. At this point in the year I haven't even thought about going that hard outside...never mind on a trainer. I despise the trainer.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i remember that first fitness test in the winter, i dont think i was able to complete it the first time because i almost puked... like my body was rejecting the notion of pedaling that hard again :p

xc62701

i remember that first fitness test in the winter, i dont think i was able to complete it the first time because i almost puked... like my body was rejecting the notion of pedaling that hard again :p
Exactly. I almost talked myself out of it 10 times but figured I'd at least start it.

xc62701

What's a fitness

test ? Lol. Is this a hobby still? J/K . I do way more geeky bike stuff two years later than I ever thought I would.
Isn't it crazy? And if you're at a race and you aren't on the edge of vommitting then you're not having fun.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Isn't it crazy? And if you're at a race and you aren't on the edge of vommitting then you're not having fun.
I feel like my HR has said I should vomit(206 at mooch for my first mtb race). But I never get that feeling. I have almost pissed my pants and or had the metal taste in my mouth but the only time I have ever even upheaved on a ride was when I tried using Beet Elite as a normal ride drink and not a pre shot. That was nasty. BTW are you doing Snowball's chance?

Top Bottom