The Long Road Back

I'm already looking ahead to caffeintated cx and hoping their course is similar to what they had a few years ago. If it's similar they had a great tough "mtb" type section in the back that's a little awkward and super fun. The rest of the course was fast and twisty but I love the more technical bits. Honestly I'm surprised I did so well at Hippo as that is a pure horsepower course as there wasn't much technical. The harder courses play to my advantage. I know it's a hike to get down there but I'm trying to bring the family with me and make an overnight out of it since it's my anniversary weekend and there's tons of nice NJ wineries in that region that we could explore on Sunday. The wife and I haven't done the winery thing much lately and this is a great opportunity for that.

Awesome job out there Ryan! 5th and 2nd, you kinda have to do the whole series now to see it all the way through.
Caffeinated is a really fun course. Worth the drive.

Awesome job out there Ryan! 5th and 2nd, you kinda have to do the whole series now to see it all the way through.
Caffeinated is a really fun course. Worth the drive.

Thanks man! Yea that's what I'm thinking. I did pretty well in the series for the B's many years ago. I think it's time to complete this series and see where that gets me. I'm super psyched about caffeinated as I did it a few years ago and the mtb bits in the back of the course are FUN. I'm looking forward to it. The wife not so much...

Not good - lets leave it at that as I don't want to barf all over your thread,, I'll include the deetz in my recap

Good meeting you and that was a fantastic hole shot!

I saw some of the description of the tape issue in another thread. Sorry it wen't bad for ya.

The holeshot was pretty amazing. I surprised the hell out of myself.

I'm looking forward to this upcoming weekend as it's my anniversary and also caffeinated CX. It'll be busy but hopefully it all goes as planned.

For the race I'm getting psyched as my weight is coming back down - hopefully close to the high 160's by race morning. I'll be eating clean and hitting my workouts to get to the weekend in the best form I can. I feel like I'm getting the hang of this cross thing more and more each week. It's so hard to switch over from endurance racing to these short super intense efforts. My legs are feeling good and I'm recovering better from my mid week workouts.

Did you see the race map for caffeinated?!?!?! I'm psyched for a hard course. Barriers, logs, stairs, some wooded trail, a runup, and SAND! I love the more technical courses and this one seems right up my alley. I can't wait!!!

That sand is 100% ridable **EDIT - when wet**.... The steps should be no problem either, if memory serves.... Have you been there before?

Last edited:
That sand is 100% ridable **EDIT - when wet**.... The steps should be no problem either, if memory serves.... Have you been there before?
I have been there before but a few years ago. I remember the whole course being rideable and the mtb section where you ride up the steps being pretty entertaining and fun. I can't wait to get back there and see what they have put together.

Last year... Not a great start, but I actually won that one....

Looking at the map quickly, probably pretty similar, although it will be bone dry this year.

Last night was a great reprieve from the cx work as I got out and did a nice 2 hour mtb in the Tourne and Splitrock. Some fast flowy riding and some great tech riding in splitrock(at night) was very much enjoyed. It's great to link up the surrounding parks by me. Each one isn't that expansive but with a little pavement between it makes for a longer and more enjoyable ride.

My legs felt good last night. I did hit some hard sections and punched it really hard a few times and I'm feeling good. Today will be an easier spin, Friday some short intervals to prep for Saturday, and then it's on for Caffeinated on Saturday. I'm going through the race bike and pit bike tonight to make sure it's all set for the weekend.

My diet has been spot on and I'm dropping some weight again. I was hoping to drop a few pounds for these upcoming races and so far it's working. It looks like I'll be 3-4 lbs lighter for this race than for hippo. That'll help for sure when hitting the elevation and accelerating out of corners. Why worry about a lighter bike when you can make a lighter you with way less $$$.

Last year... Not a great start, but I actually won that one....

Looking at the map quickly, probably pretty similar, although it will be bone dry this year.

I finally got to sit down and watch the entire video. That course is awesome. I hope they keep it mostly the same. I love any course that actually has other features besides winding through a field. I understand you have to make the best of what you have but there's only so much you can do with grass. Caffeinated has so much more!

Nice passing on the stairs/runup. Make passes work everywhere!!!

I finally got to sit down and watch the entire video. That course is awesome. I hope they keep it mostly the same. I love any course that actually has other features besides winding through a field. I understand you have to make the best of what you have but there's only so much you can do with grass. Caffeinated has so much more!

Nice passing on the stairs/runup. Make passes work everywhere!!!
Agreed. These guys use everything they have at the venue, and do it well.
Ride them stairs! I think lap one was the only lap I didn't ride that run up. Great to watch your progression this year. See you Saturday

Agreed. These guys use everything they have at the venue, and do it well.
Ride them stairs! I think lap one was the only lap I didn't ride that run up. Great to watch your progression this year. See you Saturday

Yes I remember riding the stairs last time I was there. When I did the course too they made the runup just after a 180 so there was no way to ride it. The way it was last year in your video I could see riding up. I'll check it all out saturday and let it rip and see what happens.

upload_2017-10-5_11-46-16.png

So far so good! Updated overall standings.

Back
Top Bottom