The Joy of Mountain Biking

random:

i just saw this and, with stewart just a few days a way, it hit a little close to home:

Last year it was far too easy for me to get into the start gate and just stop caring. Why? I don’t know. Maybe I’m just not that competitive. Maybe I am super competitive and not caring was the only way I could live with my results.
-- https://www.sydschulz.com/mountain-biking/how-to-give-a-sht

ouch. ok... maybe i should start tapping into some inner anger and frustration for my stewart race.

now i'm fucking confused.

do i need to give a fuck? or give less fucks? is there a sorta giving a fuck option? what the fuck should i do?

Maybe it’s like those “Give a Penny / Take a Penny” deals.... you know....but with F#cks. ;)

As long as we get at least one reference to “Fuckity fuck fuck” every couple a weeks...I’m good.

***Writing in the first person because I can only speak for myself.

I only have so many fucks to give before it's counter productive and only so much time to give fucks out. The biggest fuck I give a fuck about is time with my loved ones. I don't let my fucking ego trick me into believing I will be here tomorrow. So this is the mindset I take on which in turn helps me in deciding how much I will give a fuck about other aspects of my life.

https://waitbutwhy.com/2015/12/the-tail-end.html

Last edited:
now i'm fucking confused.

do i need to give a fuck? or give less fucks? is there a sorta giving a fuck option? what the fuck should i do?
Confusing you was the fucking point. Also, you usually don't give a fuck, so why start giving fucks now?

It's okay to say fuck, as long as it's in this thread only. Right?

Confusing you was the fucking point. Also, you usually don't give a fuck, so why start giving fucks now?

It's okay to say fuck, as long as it's in this thread only. Right?

well... i usually don't give a fuck... but maybe a fuck should be given once in a while when appropriate... like at a race... i don't want to abuse the fucks... or waste the fucks... or overdose on the fucks... but maybe well curated fuck is a good thing.

and yes. it's okay to say fuck as long as it's in this thread.

man... this is going downhill quickly.

Who gives a fuck which way it goes? It is going, and that is what matters.
(see i didn't give a fuck, and gave a fuck in the same thought.)

btw: using fuck when it is a noun is fine.

Lets get back to the question, could this be signs of race burn out? It's your first full year and you're training lots this time around. Maybe dial it back a bit till you get the race mojo back.

Toyotas have 1000x better auto trans than Hondas, good choice unless it's manual?
Kuats make great gifts, got a hitch yet?

Would have been 100x better if it was offered in a manual. Honestly though, since it's what we use for longer trips, the automatic isn't that bad.

I can't say if the current Honda trans is bad compared to the Toyota, I thought the only bad automatic transmissions were those ones on the Accords 10 years ago. The fact that the CR-V had a CVT automatic and a Turbo engine turned me off to them. The good thing about this being the last year of this style of Rav4 is that it's tried and proven.

my aunt has an accord w/ the cvt (2014 iirc) and its given her nothing but trouble . . . i wouldnt buy a CVT if there was any other alternative

@qclabrat i don't think i'm burned out already? (warning: what follows here is just a rambling of thoughts i've attempted to piece into some sort of coherent explanation)

H2H races are pretty spread out so it's not like i'm doing a race every weekend. i did do that richmond race in there and i'll be doing some other races (like GGG, mountain man and some cross) but those are also spread out for me. and since cross isn't where my heart is, if i miss one it doesn't really bother me too much. (although i think steve just gasped)

i have been doing trainer road. i did two of the training plans over the winter and i hop on every so often now when i get home late or the weather's crappy. but i don't consider it really training. i watch some tv, sweat a little and come up with a clever strava name for the ride when it's done.

i don't think my overall fitness is that great. i think my riding has improved where i think (for the most part anyway) i'm getting better at picking lines and tackling techy trails and all that. but, i can't sustain a decent output of energy for a long period of time... or rather a consistent output of energy. i can stop and catch my breath on a casual ride and be ok to go again... but that doesn't really work in a race.

so maybe it's just frustration? not getting podium doesn't bother me. it's nice but, seriously, it's not like i get cash and stuff out of it. i am frustrated that i don't feel my racing has improved even though i think my riding has improved. but! racing isn't a priority for me either. i want to be a better rider not necessarily a better racer. and there is the factor that i don't always feel like i'm racing. it's easy to lose sight of whoever's in front of me very easily in a MTB race... even if they're literally a hundred feet in front. with cross last year, i did get that competition feeling because i could always see someone and try to catch them.

there is also just the plain fact that i've been really worn out this year and it has nothing to do with biking. i'm tired and don't sleep well and i'm exhausted when i wake up and i just feel like i'm running on half a battery. and, as i've mentioned over on norm's blog, NJ Transit has sucked balls majorly lately with canceling trains and changing schedules and just making that part of life a little more irritating. i took some random days off this week and it felt really good to just not have to deal with life stuff. i need to remember to do that more often. i have two vacations planned coming up: kingdom trails in july and then my usual two weeks off in august which can be a smorgasbord of traveling locations.

i don't know if any of this is even an answer. maybe it just poses more questions.

So I owe you guys two race recaps (which will be short) and a kingdom trails wrap up (which might be longer)... They'll be coming hopefully later today/tomorrow as I recover from the Monday after a vacation email backlog. You might also get some NJ Transit bashing thrown in for good measure because they fucking cancelled my train this morning. But, hey, they're sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Fuckers.

So I owe you guys two race recaps (which will be short) and a kingdom trails wrap up (which might be longer)... They'll be coming hopefully later today/tomorrow as I recover from the Monday after a vacation email backlog. You might also get some NJ Transit bashing thrown in for good measure because they fucking cancelled my train this morning. But, hey, they're sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Fuckers.
Fucking A

Back
Top Bottom