the journey of the boar in years 2013 - ......

liong71er

Summer is here,..
20180502_124144-1.jpg

liong71er

Despite weather forecast for Sunday I didn't cave in and went anyway according to my hearts desired,a desire to roam into the unknown territory and possibly of pursuing happiness in doing so...or just amused my self in the process during this trips.

At around 5:45am
Still drizzle and foggy at dawn a little chill as it has to be in every morning in spring time
Rode on CR 507 northbound towards Suffern,NY
Stopped by at local Dunkin Donuts to get breakfast there,
Proceed next to Town of Monroe by riding on NY 17 Northbound got splashing by untoughtfull motorist I get drenched by it wich i'm already is from riding in light rain
I felt angered but also funny at the moment

By the time I get to Monroe I think it was around 9am maybe?
Kept on going to the next destination
Stewart State Forest is within 15 or 18 miles from monroe,my regular route is taking backroads around that areas a quite rural roads
Lots of downed tress in Stewart SP
At New Rd trees down at every 50ft or so also I noticed few in the trails,was going to ride the trails but seeing many downed trees I canceled that.

Next is town of Walden where there's a large Correctional facilities there,right on the route I took to get onto the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail trailhead
Took this trail to New paltz then to kingston
It is almost 25 miles long from Walden to kingston..I think it's around noon time now when I arrived in kingston
Arriving in kingston,
Making stop at Stewart gas station to get some supply before head into unknown territory,next town is Woodstock
The last time I was here,it was 10yrs ago also on my biking ride

Almost 6pm now and i'm about 2 miles outside the main st of Woodstock
And I have ride over 100 miles already need to find a campgrounds
Luckily,there's two nearby campgrounds within 2 miles so I go to Rip Van Winkle campgrounds instead of KOA
Before,I go to campgrounds and rest for the days,I stopped by nearby fancy restaurant to grab dinner cost me $60 including tips
The most expensive foods I have ever paid,usually I just spent $5-$6
But it was worthy the prices and services

At the campsite paid $40
Take shower,do laundry and sleep
Hit the hay by the time the sound of all the birds stop making noises..and woke up the next day by the sound they making noises again,at around 5ish am

Second days on Monday
Finishing packing up tents and ready to leave the campsite at 5:45am
No breakfast, altho I still have leftover from my fancy dinner yesterday in my backpack not feeling hungry or thirsty so I moving onto the grand of destination
To climb Platte Clove Rd or known as Devil's kitchen from its foothill in west Saugerties
From campsite to here about 2 miles
So,I started to climb
And stopped to take pictures
Enjoyin the Vista views is grand and fresh with all the young leaves the colorswas so vividly green and with the sunlight penetrating in between leaves it even more brighter and so fresh..
But,if you driving
Don't get distracted by its or you could ended up at the below those steep edge
Me,..I just stopping a lot and having tons of fun enjoying my morning ride
After climbing to the top wich is only 2 miles long and the remaining miles of Platte clove Rd only about 5 miles rolling downhill all the way to route 16 in Hunter where there's a well known ski resort is.

I then continue onto my next list of places I like to visit,..the elm ridge wild Forest MTB trail in Windham or somewhere around that areas,..I took rural rolling hills route to get to the trailhead,this trailhead is on peck Rd not a popular trailhead as their counterpart trailhead at route 23 where there's huge parking lot next to highway and more open compared to where i'm at right now
It's a little bit secluded from roads with few houses nearby about half mile down the road..at the lots there's one parked whitecap with tons of decals sticking on the body a true outdoorsman statement

Soon after,..I think time is around almost daytime now,so I started pedaling this yellow trail I didn't see any tires track on the wet ground yet,then there's blue trail and eventually I started to saw tires mark on red trail,..my plan is to hit the outer loop to get onto the other side of this Ridge wich is the main trailhead located on route 23

Trail..not techy not Smoothly like 6 miles
A little bit rocky,mixed of dirt and loos rock
Very fun and flowy very well thought out course designed and we'll maintenance
Most important it is well marked and they put all information at every trails intersection such as maps and trail marker post,.altho I think they could built more miles in that forest,over 10 miles of trails as for now I believe,..so if you guys have heard about this trails and curious give it a try I think it's worth the drive,..don't do like I do tho
Coz i'm poor I don't have house or car I only have bicycles.
So,if you like technical features trails don't bother to come,but it's ok if you insist
Overall,this trails is for all skill levels
Either you're just begginers and wanted to improve your skill then this place is the right trail,but don't literally take my words for it

Time to go home now..
It is now,1:30 pm
I'm at mileage 45 and I still have another 54 miles to go,..
From here,I took this route 23 then 32 to kingston from kingston took the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail to new palzt from here to Poughkeepsie and get on train ride back to city,train leaves at 7:54pm
Finally arrived home by 12:12am

Liong
20180520_105408.jpg
20180520_140756.jpg
20180520_201530.jpg
20180521_065525.jpg
20180521_091301.jpg
20180521_112235.jpg
20180521_112641.jpg
20180521_110857.jpg
20180521_121453.jpg
20180521_135945.jpg

Last edited:

The Kalmyk

Liong- my friend will board you up in Woodstock next time you plan on a trip keep that in mind. He has a few lodges you can rest your head.

Top Bottom