the journey of the boar in years 2013 - ......

ramblings in brooklyn

my mind was telling me this morning at 3 am "hey,wake and ride your bike for another 100 miles,but my body say,..shut the fuck up mind.and let me go back to sleep"

so,..back to sleep i was and woke up at 6am,rode out from apartment at 6:30 and back again before 3 pm.and ride thru snow for about 20minutes before reaching my apartment door.

"sometimes we have to let our mind and body rest"liong

12-26-12

70 miles

http://app.strava.com/activities/34075867

WTF?
uploadfromtaptalk1356635491041.jpg
:) Nice work Liong!

i'm so beyond stoked that you're doing this...can't even put it in words.

the last person that we had on the board that rode and chronicled their truly epic rides was Sean (Anrothar). sadly for us, he's living the good life in AK now.

anyway, THANK YOU!!! this is truly a treat.

ps- i moved your thread to here.

concerning drop bars at 6mr

you'd be surprised ;)

that bike has been under more than one person there....

----

Liong, great vid! love the 'other person' count of about 4....

the de facto b&w with splash of color - brake lights, road center lines, occasional signs - looks processed, but isn't. well done.

i'm so beyond stoked that you're doing this...can't even put it in words.

the last person that we had on the board that rode and chronicled their truly epic rides was Sean (Anrothar). sadly for us, he's living the good life in AK now.

anyway, THANK YOU!!! this is truly a treat.

ps- i moved your thread to here.

thank you, jake!!
you'ved make my day..even happier.

sean OTOH he is the master of epic adventure rider (a jedi adventurer)
i can't even dare compare with him.:)
hopefully others will follow doing like what he did...

you'd be surprised ;)

awesome stuff here, thanks for a bit a freshness

saw one two yrs ago!

concerning drop bars at 6mr

that bike has been under more than one person there....

----

Liong, great vid! love the 'other person' count of about 4....

the de facto b&w with splash of color - brake lights, road center lines, occasional signs - looks processed, but isn't. well done.

thank you,fidodie!
actually there were about 10 others group of roadies yesterday,but i didn't record it.and group of 20ish geese.and a runner wearing short.

"the super strong gusty wind,blow me back several feet back and almost knock me down"

Despite warning from the news yesterday night regarding the weather condition on sunday.the elementt of nature was too strong todays,wind gust was up to 40mph and temperature in 30ish but with the windy condition the real feel was around 20ish.another thing that cyclist or runner nor motorist should paying attention was the roads surface.

early days snow storm leaving roads condition hide unseen hazard.unlike new jersey part the city itself was spared from the storm.in areas like,williamburgh,brooklyn,queens,and flushing was nothing like folks seeing in new jersey esp north jersey.

meanwhile,..altho these weather wrath was nothing compare to the strenght spirit of NYers and new jerseyan,the hardcore athlete wannabe and sportman and woman alike are still can be seen actively doing their regimen training.

"a bussisness as usual" are the motto for todays despite the odd weather these last few days.

12-30-12
71 miles
http://app.strava.com/activities/34849843

some pics along the route:

DSCN2716_zpsadf19def.jpg

an old colony history sign nearby bogota

DSCN2717_zpsbe78b8c1.jpg

englewood clift

DSCN2719_zpsee2b29ab.jpg

norwegian cruise

DSCN2721_zpsffd7cf29.jpg

a graffiti in kenmare st and mott st

DSCN2739_zps0e933081.jpg

a graffiti in morningside ave and 119th st

DSCN2726_zps2bba8a91.jpg

the unisphere in flushing meadow park

DSCN2745_zpsff02d0c4.jpg

fiery red fire reflections

Last edited:
the last days of 2012 rides.

todays rides was unplaned,but i felt in good mood for a century so,.why not?
i was running a little bit late todays coz i have to wait for my home boss to get ready.roads up north from my apartment was really nice and the plowman done a very good job clearing those snow.start from clifton then i make my way up TOS from oakland then onto route 511 in ringwood from here continueing on long meadow rd and i really enjoying the scenery and the quiteness of surounding area there.after reaching 17a bombing down onto route 106 heading east towards seven lakes drive.then start climb the whole way up to perkins drive a.k.a bear mountain summit.there was nobody up there for awhile not until a hikers come up and he also a cyclist.

FYI for those of you planing to ride up to perkins dr, from any direction the roads was clear from recent snow storm,so..it's good to go.
keep in mind that,.must prepared to bring extra water or foods.coz all the vending machine around those areas are closed every winter season.

after resting for a while i continued using the same way i get up there.
stoping for a minutes at a pizza have a quick bite and downed a coke.from here non stop all the way home,and have a big spagheti sauce clam with mussel and chicken wing and a coke.

thats will do it for a day....

12-31-12
100 miles
http://app.strava.com/activities/35027049

and the pics..

DSCN2754.jpg

lake kawanauke

DSCN2765.jpg

"the sun won't shine on ski resort"

DSCN2767.jpg

"a stream and water runs around the rocks that blanketed with snow"

DSCN2782.jpg

it's all snow white

DSCN2785.jpg

this is my favorite dwarf pine tree the one and only that grow on top of the perkins drive at the edge of clif.

"i threat every day with joy,hope,happiness,excitement,cautious,respect,fullfilment,sometimes day dreaming,and offcouse everyday is birthday or xmas or new year nor any others ordinary day.there's always a chance for the next day to feel the same as yesterday over and over again until i no longer can live in it" liong

Last edited:
"i threat every day with joy,hope,happiness,excitement,cautious,respect,fullfilment,sometimes day dreaming,and offcouse everyday is birthday or xmas or new year nor any others ordinary day.there's always a chance for the next day to feel the same as yesterday over and over again until i no longer can live in it" liong

LOVE this

yes, very nice way to live each day. I ride those northern roads on your loop often. They never stop to please me, even on a cloudy day they seem beautiful. Good ride to jump start your winter.

1-13-13

1-13-13
http://app.strava.com/activities/37485507
20hrs and 150miles

That's bad number combine for chinese peoples,it does a bad cause on the day i doing this long rides.
it's all begin with thick heavily densely FOG when at 1:30 am i started out riding from my crib.the heavy fog follow with thin fine drizzle some of them shape round,some are like thin long fine needle (i can see it from my front light blinky)
this fog was eveloped from saturday evening until monday morning,around tri-state areas on sunday becoming more heavily on earliest morning even the powerfull/magnificent solar couldn't break it.

however,this fog become phenomenon to my taste rather than just ordinary weather event.it's unique and mistery behind every sreen that this fog cover make me wanted to discovered but kinda fear whats hide behind,under,above,on top of it it was "the twilight zone" zona.
now,imagine yourselft get stranded in the middle of nowhere and suddenly this heavily fog was there and you're surrounded by darkness and you can't hear nothing other than your own breath an fear breath...
and i was exactly at that moment,except that i was standing in the middle of highway 23 not far from outside bloomingdale town.

i was in that highway alone,with all my blinky lights off and just stand there for good 10 minutes.the feeling of being in the dark and cold and the smell of fog also the dizzle that land on your face is the experience of the days that i would never forget.
man,it was totally completely dark i can't even see my own finger.
and then suddenly fear thought coming at corner of my mind,what if the reaper suddenly show up?
i quickly turn on all my lights again and not long few cars come racing from behind,..phew.

the highway 23 has wide shoulder (ranging from 10ft to 20 ft) right from where it became 2 separated median al the way to wayne from somewhere around vernon.
but from high point towards the city from mile marker 54 to 28 it has shoulder in most part (but only 3ft-4ft) and no shoulder at all in few part.
i'ved rode on this highway many times before,so..i knew quite well about it.
there's only one particularly town that doesn't maintain the roads conditions
it has no shoulder and no sidewalk,i think somewhere around junction CR 519.

if there's no shoulder i use this tactics.
i rode a little bit more into the center of the roads stay there until i heard hevicles coming but not make them inpatient by beeping me.i'm immediately move inside and after they passed me i wave to appreciated them.
this will let others vehicles behind them acknowledge me so give them alert.
seem works for me all the times.this can only employ on single lane not double lane.
but,most important.is how i act or behave when riding on busy highway.
i don't look nervous by swerving around not steadily,instead i'm making them sure i know what i'm doing and riding with steadily in straigt line.

finally made to the top of monument in high point state park.
park were still close not until 8am i was there at 7am.
can't see the monument completely blanket with thick heavy fog.
but also the tempt was drop few degree..
yesterday was strugle for me,i have to make alot stop to adjust my layer clothing.before every climb i take off few layers and before descend i have to put more layers.
and don't remember how many times i must do this,more than million i supposed.

DSC_0001-5.jpg

monument should be on the right but it is now gone..

about this rides...
the real reason behind it wasn't about collecting points for dave's contest.
always wanted to checking out hawk's nest and town of hancock.
these 97 route from port jervist is one of beautifull scenery roads.
the route goes along side delaware river,all the way up to hancock.
but,i guess i underestimated the elevation.
this roads has nice shoulder and millions ups and downs not to mention winding roads.
all of sudden i was on the clift and the minutes later i was leveled with the river side and the next i'm at the top again next to the giant outcroping rocks.

DSC_0008-3.jpg

hawk's nest lookout

sad,.many abandoned houses along the riverside.the only visible thing was the outdoors sport for tourist activity seasonal industry.now,..it's now so quite, but not so in next few month.
i spend quite long at one of the lookout in hawk's nest,then hop on my bike again rode ups and downs towards town of barryville.
have lunch here then x-ing the bridge into sohola,PA for a brief.
5miles before reaching port jervist,the rear tire decided to loose few pouds.
actually not few but whole contents.
found a nice and safe spot for changing her diapers.

DSC_0037.jpg

emergency bike stand

met nice jersey couple at the hawk's nest lookout and helping them taking pics (at qiuick check in vernon we met again after 3hrs different)
ate some soup and have a nice chat with an older gents in his late 60s
i assume he must be local red neck.we talk about the overcast weather and such.half hrs later i excuse myself and continueing my journey.
back on highway 23 again,..
good thing is the tempt was warm but still drizzle wet.and fog gone a little bit less than 12hrs ago.

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

oh,.forgot to mention, that i have mechanical failure while climbing towards high point.had to stop right before half mile to the highest point,such a bummer.then walk to the top to fix the chainguide.
my chainguide loose it screw.so,.i took it off and put them back in my pannier.
so,.i have two badluck in one day on 1-13-13 (bad numbers)
but,.after i post this stories,i will definetely got good numbers from dave.:)

from quickcheck,i rode non-stop for about 5hrs to clifton.

"it is not the weather that keep me away from riding,but it is my weak mentality of laziness and too much of comfy that is i'm afraid of" liong

Back
Top Bottom