The interesting LP thread

Denon at work, HK (belt) at home. At work, speed accuracy is just as important, if not more-so, than the issues a direct drive present. If we ever have to do disc transfers we have a custom Rockport, which is one of the most over-engineered devices (audio related or not) I have ever seen in my entire life.

I have a Thorens TD 166Mkii that I bought when I was a teen. I procrastinated for years on selling it on Ebay as prices went up. Now I plan on setting it back up once my son goes away to school next year and I can actually listen to music again. Apparently these are very upgradeable and every part is available online for restoration.

I can take it from this:

td166_mk2_03.jpg

To this:

td2.jpg

I have a Thorens TD 166Mkii that I bought when I was a teen. I procrastinated for years on selling it on Ebay as prices went up. Now I plan on setting it back up once my son goes away to school next year and I can actually listen to music again. Apparently these are very upgradeable and every part is available online for restoration.

I can take it from this:

View attachment 60891

To this:

View attachment 60892

wow, you must have been born to a wealthy family or lots of paper routes as a kid (mine was a really bad Sony from Macy's and an all plastic Dual)
Have read so much of DIY upgrades on the Thorens, they look like fun to mess with.
Here's something interesting if you are interested in upgrading the tonearm
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/thorens-td-166-mkii-with-sme-tone-arm

wow, you must have been born to a wealthy family or lots of paper routes as a kid (mine was a really bad Sony from Macy's and an all plastic Dual)
Have read so much of DIY upgrades on the Thorens, they look like fun to mess with.
Here's something interesting if you are interested in upgrading the tonearm
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/thorens-td-166-mkii-with-sme-tone-arm

My father was very into audio. I built (assembled) my first real stereo with him checking all my soldering when I was 13. All Dynaco seperates, but not tubed. I still have all his old tubed Dynaco amps that are worth bucks considering what they cost in the 70's as a kit.

I didn't think my turntable was as cool as my friends since it could only play one album and you had to manually place the tone-arm on and off.

My father was very into audio. I built (assembled) my first real stereo with him checking all my soldering when I was 13. All Dynaco seperates, but not tubed. I still have all his old tubed Dynaco amps that are worth bucks considering what they cost in the 70's as a kit.

I didn't think my turntable was as cool as my friends since it could only play one album and you had to manually place the tone-arm on and off.
I built (assembled) a bunch of Heathkits when I was a kid. My Hafler 220 I built from a kit. Still works sounds great 35 yrs later.

I have a bunch of Hafler in our spare bedroom because my wife and son demanded easier to use audio equipment that had remote controls.
Thats some good stuff, Hafler is Dynaco. Pretty sure it was headquartered in Pennsauken NJ. Too bad the high end stuff has to have the inconvenience of getting up out of the "listening position"

I built (assembled) a bunch of Heathkits when I was a kid. My Hafler 220 I built from a kit. Still works sounds great 35 yrs later.
More than half of the kids today have no clue how to use tools and such. Not many know the difference between a Phillips or flat head screwdriver

More than half of the kids today have no clue how to use tools and such. Not many know the difference between a Phillips or flat head screwdriver
They sure know how to order lunch on the cell phone.... but thats a different topic. LOL

Holy shit, I was sitting around playing some Dunsmuir records and I found a secret message in every song. GPS coordinates. They all are exact coordinates of a volcano. I THINK I'm the first one to notice this. How many people have all four 7" albums and know what GPS coordinates are, and then found the secret?

Screenshot 2017-12-23 20.23.02.pngScreenshot 2017-12-23 20.23.02.png

Holy shit, I was sitting around playing some Dunsmuir records and I found a secret message in every song. GPS coordinates. They all are exact coordinates of a volcano. I THINK I'm the first one to notice this. How many people have all four 7" albums and know what GPS coordinates are, and then found the secret?

View attachment 60943View attachment 60943
Please explain, watching Beautiful Mind at the moment. Are you nuts?

Please explain, watching Beautiful Mind at the moment. Are you nuts?

I felt like I was nuts for a minute. The first one I saw was 158deg and I thought maybe it was a temperature for the record press or something. And I have no idea what the other engraving is. And there is a 3rd on each that just says "SAFE"

i-sbKdQFH-XL.jpg

i-95QVzB6-XL.jpg

The other number is just a model number. There are 4 records, each contains:
HOR-001-A
HOR-001-B
HOR-002-A
HOR-002-B
HOR-003-A
HOR-003-B
HOR-004-A
HOR-004-B

Back