The interesting LP thread

Someone show @gtluke how to work the internets, I can't see any of his photos.

Maybe I'll work up enough motivation to open the record cabinet and post to this thread at some point.
Ditto. Perhaps Luke has been partially banned e.g. no media.

So what's the upside to modern records? I get that it's nice to have the tactile feel, but if it was recorded in the last 10, 20 years isn't it going from digital to record and there will be loss?

There's definitely something lost by swiping on a screen to play your music, but for actual audio I wonder what the benefit is over a CD?

So what's the upside to modern records? I get that it's nice to have the tactile feel, but if it was recorded in the last 10, 20 years isn't it going from digital to record and there will be loss?

There's definitely something lost by swiping on a screen to play your music, but for actual audio I wonder what the benefit is over a CD?

CDs are dead, there may actually be a time soon when vinyl will outsell them in the near future. My kids have never bought a CD.
I'm not a sound engineer so have nothing to provide on new recordings which start off digital. Haven't been a recording studio for close to 25 years so, I don't even know how it's done anymore. Is Earthquake studios in Scotch Plains still around...

For me, something about the vibrations from a needle transformed into sound is so much more relateable than ones and zeros.

CDs are dead, there may actually be a time soon when vinyl will outsell them in the near future. My kids have never bought a CD.
I'm not a sound engineer so have nothing to provide on new recordings which start off digital. Haven't been a recording studio for close to 25 years so, I don't even know how it's done anymore. Is Earthquake studios in Scotch Plains still around...

For me, something about the vibrations from a needle transformed into sound is so much more relateable than ones and zeros.

I get that. I own one CD if that, and I leave it in my car's CD player in case my phone breaks/reboots/whatever and I lose music for a little while. I don't even have an antenna on my car...

Where's @Squirrel when I need him?

I don't know how to install antennas...

In this country, as CD sales are declining, we're not seeing the growth in vinyl that we had only a couple few years ago. Currently, it's still considered a niche market. In other countries, the proportion of Vinyl/CD/Download/Streaming is dramatically different. It's amazing to see "markets" that have not really embraced streaming yet.

As far as vinyl cut from digital files vs. analog tape there are differences. I won't take everyone down that rabbit hole. That being said, if the digital production is done with care, an excellent Lp can be made from it. Sadly, many of the records made today are done in a way that lends itself to compromise at the cutting lathe, which means an inferior Lp. And forget about pressing, most of the craftsmen of yesteryear are long gone, so the people currently at the plants do not have the same base of knowledge, which means even if it was a good cut, you might be buying a poor piece of vinyl.

With the physics of a needle moving at the speed that it does, on a decreasing radius course (the Lp groove), it's amazing that it sounds as good as it does. But it does sound really good when done well.

Where's all the LP pics? I have this one in the basement

maxresdefault.jpg

Chop Shop steel plate 1991

r chopshop.jpg

Bound by metal strapping wires around a steel plate and wrapped in a tar paper sleeve. weight 4 lbs.
Package limited to 500 copies.

Recordings compiled 1991. Final segments realized by feeding sound materials through the four "speaker constructions" documented in the enclosed booklet and cruel behavior towards several tape recorders. Playback intended for 33rpm. Dedicated to Gen Ken Montgomery and Generator, NYC.

Inserts include a laminated card (10x13cm) with release details and booklet (15x20cm) containing photographs of four speaker constructions.

Screen Printing by Gary Blogett/Red Dog Press
All materials Chop Shop Control 1991

Dag gon it! I was going to post that. I'm not a stone's fan, but it's a cool album cover with the 3d effect. I found mine in the trash, after my neighbors moved in 1968.

Still have it in the collection. As for best album cover.. this was as good as it gets when your 9 yrs old in 1968. My dads LP still sounds good even with some scratches..

Attachments

• cream.jpg
    cream.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 16
What turntables are you guys running? Hope it's not those Realistic modular setups you used while listening to the Wall with the lava lamp...

Back
Top Bottom