The interesting LP thread

qclabrat

After make a full Japanese bento lunch for the kids tomorrow. I have no want to retreat to the bike area, so instead here in the "listening" room. Last year I got rid of half of my LPs but still have a few left. So for those who dabble or rooted, share some of yours. Even my older has told me LPs are back! Haven't heard from @The Squirrel in quite a while, but anything he has is probably so much more interesting than my collection. I'll just blindly blog here for the next few months as I comb through my stash.

First, as a David Cassidy tribute

IMG_20171219_191251.jpg

Haha, is there vinyl in there? Those hand me downs from mom and dad must be so worn down. (Pete, I've ridden with you and youre not 100 years old) love that crap, shows how much music really meant in those days. BTW, what's the date on that album. The Partridge one is original from 1971 but missing the Christmas card promo.

I have less vinyl than you might think. I got rid of a bunch a couple of years back. Probably the rarest one was the Lynyrd Skynyrd "Street Survivors" Lp. The one where they're walking in the flames. I cut school early to get it and three days later they go down in the plane crash. The label pulls the Lp's and gives it a new cover. Instant value. I didn't like the record much, so it was mint. Had the tour schedule insert as well.

That said, here's a small taste from the Drey:

DSC01247.JPGDSC01248.JPG

The Joe Jackson was signed during the "Body and Soul" sessions (I was uncredited).

DSC01249.JPGDSC01250.JPG

The Bob Dylan is an ultra-rare Lp set. I think they only pressed about 200. It's what they call "copyright protection"; releasing music that hasn't been heard before, before the 50-year copyright date passes. This ensures the performances stay with the original copyright holder (Bob, in this case).

DSC01251.JPGDSC01252.JPG

The Keynote set is an early completist Lp set of the entire output of Keynote Records.

DSC01253.JPGDSC01254.JPG

Kind of Blue is a very early pressing (1A, 1E for all you vinyl geeks). It's odd in that it's a cut-out (the little hole in the upper right-hand corner), but there's a price tag on the back (Fishkin Bros, Perth Amboy). The hole makes it a promotional copy (not for resale), but the price tag tells me it was paid for. I got this from my uncle. I use it every time I work on this record.

There are quirkier albums at work. I'll take a few images when I can.

1513735931915.png

I'm tripping over boxes of vinyl that took some water damage. 50s through my beloved 80s (no, not Flock of Seagulls!)

PS -
he put on kashmir/physical graffitti - all will be revealed....

Last edited:
Haha, is there vinyl in there? Those hand me downs from mom and dad must be so worn down. (Pete, I've ridden with you and youre not 100 years old) love that crap, shows how much music really meant in those days. BTW, what's the date on that album. The Partridge one is original from 1971 but missing the Christmas card promo.
I don't see a date on it, must be a newer recopy, out of Linden, NJ. Springboard records

I don't see a date on it, must be a newer recopy, out of Linden, NJ. Springboard records
from eBay for what it's worth, but seems accurate
Mistletoe Records/Springboard International Records Inc., Linden, NJ. Exact release date Unknown - Circa mid-1960s. Black vinyl 12 inch 33-1/3 rpm LP with jacket.
GENRE: Cowboy Western/Cowboy Star
NOTES: This LP was first released in 1958. I haven’t found an exact date for this pressing but the jacket has a Zip code address, putting it some time after 1962-63. All the Gene Autry Christmas standards are here (see photos of labels for exact track list) including Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer and Here Comes Santa Claus.

I have less vinyl than you might think. I got rid of a bunch a couple of years back. Probably the rarest one was the Lynyrd Skynyrd "Street Survivors" Lp. The one where they're walking in the flames. I cut school early to get it and three days later they go down in the plane crash. The label pulls the Lp's and gives it a new cover. Instant value. I didn't like the record much, so it was mint. Had the tour schedule insert as well.

That said, here's a small taste from the Drey:

View attachment 60783View attachment 60784

The Joe Jackson was signed during the "Body and Soul" sessions (I was uncredited).

View attachment 60785View attachment 60786

The Bob Dylan is an ultra-rare Lp set. I think they only pressed about 200. It's what they call "copyright protection"; releasing music that hasn't been heard before, before the 50-year copyright date passes. This ensures the performances stay with the original copyright holder (Bob, in this case).

View attachment 60787View attachment 60788

The Keynote set is an early completist Lp set of the entire output of Keynote Records.

View attachment 60789View attachment 60790

Kind of Blue is a very early pressing (1A, 1E for all you vinyl geeks). It's odd in that it's a cut-out (the little hole in the upper right-hand corner), but there's a price tag on the back (Fishkin Bros, Perth Amboy). The hole makes it a promotional copy (not for resale), but the price tag tells me it was paid for. I got this from my uncle. I use it every time I work on this record.

There are quirkier albums at work. I'll take a few images when I can.

I'm guessing the Dylan set is prior to your work?

For those who care, KOB is probably the most discussed album in the world
The 1997 release pretty much blew up the industry, due to the discovery of a faulty track in the original recording.
One day I'm going to try to figure out the differences, though I'm not a terribly sensitive listener.
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/whats-best-kind-of-blue-vinyl.289085/

I may have some Keynote records in 78 format. I'll need to look through them, the covers are a bit dry, so I try no to open them up too much.
But it's good know there was a complete LP release. I'll need to keep a look out
https://www.jazzdisco.org/mercury-r...g-78rpm-500-600-1300-100-series/single-index/

This is the only christmas album I have
i-gfpHpMt-X2.jpg

This is one of the cooler prints I have. Dillinger Escape Plan. They are playing their final shows next week. I never really got into them despite me owning some of their albums, but I can appreciate what they did for music. One of the most pivotal bands of my generation. They brought the theme of music that I like to the masses. I just couldn't get into the replacement singer.
BUT, the singer from dead cross was on Irony is a Dead Scene and I LOVE that album. And they are playing it in it's entirety with Mike Patton of Dead Cross (Fantomas, Faith No More, Mr. Bungle) on the 27th BUT I'LL BE AWAY. Dillinger is from Morris Plains NJ.
The print it super cool, it's marbled
i-4mtTnzd-X2.jpg

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these guys. Instrumental band from Atlanta
The last Mutoid Man show my wife and I went to both my wife and the guitarist Stephen Brodskey (formally of Cave In) were wearing Lazer/Wulf shirts. Half way through the set my wife pointed it out to him and he was jaaaaazzzed about it. We saw Brodskey at the Converge show in Brooklyn last week and I was wearing a Lazer/Wulf shirt and I enjoyed his reaction as he saw the two of us again.

Plus red album
i-vw75WVh-XL.jpg

My wife has literally a thousand rare and weird LP's and 7" that my grandkids one day will throw out ;)

Over the weekend I'll dig around. I have a lot of stuff from my dad (some of which I think my little brother wants to take, so we'll have to divvy it up). I discovered listening to vinyl records in 8th grade and I developed very...eclectic...tastes for someone of that age in 2003-2004. Wore the crap out of this Men At Work album; I'm a weird dude.

Even my older has told me LPs are back!

Us millenials love this crap, man. I have a bunch of new stuff on LP - Vampire Weekend, Sublime, and this AWESOME Jack Johnson live album. He did a live recording with an audience at Third Man (Jack White's place in Nashville) and it's really great. If you're a fan of Jack Johnson, 11/10, must buy.

Jack White always does crazy stuff for Record Store Day, a few years ago they did the "World's Fastest Pressing". Apparently they have a direct-to-acetate setup in the Blue Room and they cut, processed, pressed, and sold it in under 4 hours. They made a pretty funny video with some cool record production footage, too:

I'm guessing the Dylan set is prior to your work?

No, that box was done in 2014. One of the few I didn't do. I've been working on Dylan since the late 80's. The first box set I did was Bootleg 1-3.

Here are a few that were laying around at work. We just sent a bunch back to the library. there will be a truckload of oddballs in 2018:

IMG_1294.jpgIMG_1295.jpgIMG_1296.jpgIMG_1297.jpg

Someone show @gtluke how to work the internets, I can't see any of his photos.

Maybe I'll work up enough motivation to open the record cabinet and post to this thread at some point.

Us millenials love this crap, man. I have a bunch of new stuff on LP - Vampire Weekend, Sublime, and this AWESOME Jack Johnson live album. He did a live recording with an audience at Third Man (Jack White's place in Nashville) and it's really great. If you're a fan of Jack Johnson, 11/10, must buy.

Jack White always does crazy stuff for Record Store Day, a few years ago they did the "World's Fastest Pressing". Apparently they have a direct-to-acetate setup in the Blue Room and they cut, processed, pressed, and sold it in under 4 hours. They made a pretty funny video with some cool record production footage, too:

I really like Jack Johnson as well, going to look out for that album

That Jack White album I'd imagine sounded rather poor. Post production is the real art to making a good recording. Otherwise it sounds like the Rush bootlegs I used to make as a kid. I've posted this before, but it's such a classic

Back
Top Bottom