The Indoor Garden Thread!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
At some point, there is going to be a sub forum for lawn and garden!
Just the perfect thread for a day when i should be outside riding, but doing taxes instead.

What do you have blooming inside your home? Anything interesting or unique? Perhaps just catch-the-eye attractive, or
so hideous it is hard to look away. Post 'em up as they bloom.

I didn't realize how hard it is to take a picture of a single plant without much contrast - guess i could photoshop it.
any tips from the photography people? and yes, i'll probably use the cell phone, but doesn't have to be.

This is a cool lady slipper/orchid. It has been in bloom for 2 months. starting to fade now....
Purchased at Tindra's Taida's Orchids in Bridgewater. They have great prices, but mostly common stuff - every once in awhile
there is something out of the ordinary.

IMG_0135.JPGIMG_0134.JPG

Last edited:

YouRang87

Fidodi I like it! I want to do “Irish moss” ground cover in a section of my yard this year but all the websites won’t ship plants until April/may.

Being impatient as I am I was able to order a heap of seeds, a ton of plastic “cells” and some indoor germination soil and my goal is to get these seeds alive indoors and then plant them outside.

If successful I’ll update with pics!!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Go ride your bike
When you see a spring flowing start picking that watercress as it's perfect now!!!

qclabrat

let's clear the white elephant out of this thread
not this:
1519759528587.png

I was planning a to grow cacti from seed this winter, but lost the pack of seeds. Anyone grow from seed before?
1519759656688.png

Our showcase plants at home are the night blooming cactus, really exquisite flowers but won't be blooming till August
1519759813834.png

The Kalmyk

let's clear the white elephant out of this thread
not this:
View attachment 64444

I was planning a to grow cacti from seed this winter, but lost the pack of seeds. Anyone grow from seed before?
View attachment 64446

Our showcase plants at home are the night blooming cactus, really exquisite flowers but won't be blooming till August
View attachment 64447

@fidodie set the record straight when this on the Clean Start thread. Trust me when I say everyone on this board is overlooking the plant of the future and it’s not pot.

Anyway, let’s keep it Rated G.

qclabrat

This is a cool lady slipper/orchid. It has been in bloom for 2 months. starting to fade now....
Purchased at Tindra's Orchids in Bridgewater. They have great prices, but mostly common stuff - every once in awhile
there is something out of the ordinary.
think you mean Taida Orchids, I drive by it each morning dropping off the kid at Votech
https://www.taidaorchids.com

also if anyone hasn't been to the NY orchid show, it's coming up soon
we try to go every year
https://www.nybg.org/event/the-orchid-show/

but by far the best orchid garden is in Singapore, not to be missed if you end up there
https://www.sbg.org.sg/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=34&Itemid=58

1519763704794.png

olegbabich

Years ago we had three Orchids that did not bloom. The plants were healthy otherwise.

I went to the library and got a book on Orchids. As a last resort the author suggested sitting down and talking to your plants. To let them know that if they did not bloom they were going to be thrown out.

After trying a bunch of stuff, I did have a talk with the plants. Later on that year I threw one away. The other two bloomed every year after that.

Patrick

Staff member
think you mean Taida Orchids, I drive by it each morning dropping off the kid at Votech
https://www.taidaorchids.com

also if anyone hasn't been to the NY orchid show, it's coming up soon
we try to go every year
https://www.nybg.org/event/the-orchid-show/

but by far the best orchid garden is in Singapore, not to be missed if you end up there
https://www.sbg.org.sg/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=34&Itemid=58

View attachment 64453

Longwood Gardens has going now - we might swing by saturday.

Yes, Taida - Tindara is an on-line shop we use.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Here are my fiances succulents and orchid and cactus she's going all in

Attachments

• 20180227_173819.jpg
    20180227_173819.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180227_173801.jpg
    20180227_173801.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180227_174007.jpg
    20180227_174007.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180227_174013.jpg
    20180227_174013.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180227_174004.jpg
    20180227_174004.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180227_174016.jpg
    20180227_174016.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 13

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Holy shit this is what happens when it rains for 2 weeks. What’s next, knitting?

Well, my orchids have bloomed amazingly after some trimming and Miracle grow. I have lemon tree that hasn’t produced in 2 years, so I trimmed the shit out of it back to the nodes and gave it a good talking too like Oleg did, and now it’s got so many blossoms that there is no way this tiny tree can support so many lemons. If only my kids listened like this.

Patrick

Staff member
Holy shit this is what happens when it rains for 2 weeks. What’s next, knitting?

Well, my orchids have bloomed amazingly after some trimming and Miracle grow. I have lemon tree that hasn’t produced in 2 years, so I trimmed the shit out of it back to the nodes and gave it a good talking too like Oleg did, and now it’s got so many blossoms that there is no way this tiny tree can support so many lemons. If only my kids listened like this.

audio or it didn't happen. :D

Been thinking about this topic for awhile - then when that succulent bloomed, i figured it was a sign.

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
i suck at orchid identification - looking at the interwebz, i think this is an oncidium.

When hitting up wegmans, i always peek in the flower section to see if there are any interesting orchids on the shelf.
I think they get them as they near the end of the bloom cycle, and are moved out of offices, or restaurants. we've had
good luck getting them to bloom again. either that or i manage to kill them.

IMG_0143.JPGIMG_0142.JPGIMG_0141.JPG

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ours was blooming around xmas, she has gotten it to bloom several times since she got it (xmasish 2015 iirc)

huffster

This was damn funny! I don't know if its true, but it did cause me to literally LOL. I imagine the other 2 plants whispering to each other: "Holy shit, he really means it. We better produce"

After trying a bunch of stuff, I did have a talk with the plants. Later on that year I threw one away. The other two bloomed every year after that.

rick81721

Lothar
Local air plants - I call them tribbles - they are everywhere in some sections of forest

28434983_1604403999642625_7034681141177090048_n.jpg

Right by here there was bright red fungus growing on a tree - I thought it was paint at first marking the trail. I've never seen anything like this up north

28754606_2020567824681230_4371699536737861632_n.jpg

Top Bottom