The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Listen, It's ok. We live in a digital world. There is no shame in riding inside, "connected", in front of a screen, on a trainer, maybe a spin bike you bought second hand, maybe one of those peloton bikes you cashed in your 401k for (Or maybe sold a half bitcoin for before it tanked). Whatever your current situation is, you have decided that you enjoy the convenience of setting up shop inside. At least till it warms up enough... because then you must only ride your bike outside!! or maybe not, and then you begin realize, you enjoy the indoor life.

And if you think riding inside is stupid, pointless, for the weak, that's fine...different strokes different folks. But keep your negativity out of this area. This is a happy place and respect that.

I have been living an indoor life for a few years now. (I feel like i'm coming out of the closet here. ). It started with getting in the workouts which my coach prescribed, and getting them in every time. This meant, as soon as it started getting too dark or too cold i asked him to give me strictly indoor workouts during the week, and then be outside on the weekends. I may have different goals, but my motivation is 80% racing inspired. I am pretty competitive so i hate to miss a workout. But just like everyone else, i went down this rabbit hole with improving my fitness in mind. And its just so damn convenient.

I admit, I am in the minority when it comes to Zwift. I tried it once, but i couldn't quite figure out the nest way to incorporate my prescribed workouts. I'm not saying i'll never do it, but i'm pretty content as is, just executing the workouts.

My setup was was my roadbike (Now i switched to MTB) on a TACX Vortex smart trainer, with a tablet I have to control the "smart" part of the trainer, and another screen which i watch shows on. (As for shows, Ive watched the entire Game of Thrones, Narcos, Stranger things, Jessica Jones... the netflix and amazon prime list goes on and on. )
I have a fan right in front of me, a sweat towel, and a water bottle.

So please, feel free to discuss your indoor experiences, tips, questions, post your setup, share your Zwift user names... organize group rides if you want... tis the season, and this is the spot to do so.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I welded little ball bearings on the bottom of my rollers and made a metal frame that it sits in to do full on standing sprints , it's still incredibly sketchy but fun as hell

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I welded little ball bearings on the bottom of my rollers and made a metal frame that it sits in to do full on standing sprints , it's still incredibly sketchy but fun as hell
Pics or it's a lie. ;)

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I train indoors for your reasoning @jShort . #3 is on the way and this works. I have a cycleops magnus with maybe 2000 miles on it in which only 250 or so are zwift. I zwift for my z2 rides but haven’t actually done a zwift “race” yet. If I didn’t have a coach I probably would. If you want to see a Zwift dude that has never ridden a road bike outdoors but absolutely kills it inside @Dairyman is your guy!

AL.

Does more trail maintenance than you, without a he
So this winter i decided to go back to winter trainer rides.
i enjoy the trainer more then riding if its under 45 degrees.After working all day in the cold the last thing i want to do is ride in it.
I have a my road bike with a trainer tire setup to a cycleops classic fluid trainer.
Heart rate monitor reading out on my garmin.All setup in my bedroom in front of
a 55 inch tv usually watching netflix.
On the table next to me i have a water bottle,towel,fan and a packed bowl
Mary j and netflix i usually have no problem putting in 1hr.All about comfort!!
I also never zwift or post on trainer rides on strava.
So i have rode rollers but never owned a set.Been thinking of switching over anyone
have some thoughts?

szymon

I was thinking of doing zwift but for me time goes by quicker with headphones listening to music and watching a cross race on youtube. While I'm not a fan of riding indoors it has it's place in the winter, it's a lot easier doing a specific workout like keeping just below threshold for 60mins in the basement around 60 degrees then outside around freezing.

YouRang87

I wish somehow someone invented “smart” rollers. I only use rollers but wish I could zwift 3 months a year on them.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have been having problems finding something I really enjoy on TV when indoors. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, PBS, and of course YouTube. And I can't for the life of me find anything that really does it for me.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I watch old Top Gear and Grand Tour episodes. They make me laugh and make the time go by quicker.

gtluke

The Moped
I have been having problems finding something I really enjoy on TV when indoors. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, PBS, and of course YouTube. And I can't for the life of me find anything that really does it for me.

Dark on Netflix. Bonus points if you watch without subtitles.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When I raced I used to do a ton of trainer riding, in terms of time pedaling it was incredibly efficient to build fitness and strength in relatively short duration sessions over not such a long time frame either. I never really minded (or currently mind) doing the indoor workouts. I used (and still use) just a "dumb" fluid trainer, although the smart ones are definitely on a shopping list at some point. Never did Zwift or any of those things, in the beginning I used do a bunch of the CTS dvd's etc. Now I throw on YouTube on TV and find MTB XC races, then filter for longer time periods (option of greater than 20min iirc). And there are a few guys that record all of their XC races in California and Texas, and I like doing my workouts following along their races. Its all POV obviously, but the scenery and tactics keeps my interest. Plus, most of the races I ride to are 1-2 hours in length so works for me. YMMV

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Last year I badly broke my leg. My choices were to sit around and eat or ride the trainer and commit to a Zwift ride a few days a week.

It was crucial for my recovery and mental health.

It's not the real thing, but the Wahoo Kickr paired with Zwift is pretty motivating thing.

Doubt I'll race anytime soon, but this is a great recovery and training tool.

Can't say enough how satisfied our cutomers have been with the Kickr.

Robin

When I was training for racing I was motivated to ride indoors. I have a Cyxleops fluid trainer and rollers. I've used my road bike and CX bike...both with power meters. I can't watch TV when doing a hard workout. Too distracting so I pump music with heavy beats into my ears. I had my workouts on my Garmin so it was easy to follow. If it was a short recovery ride then maybe I'd watch TV.

I spent two months straight on the trainer this summer/fall when I was injured. At the time I still had hopes of getting in part of CX season so I hit it hard. It helped me keep my sanity but also burned me out.

I tried Zwift. It wasn't for me. I just couldn't get into the VR. I've also used Sufferfest which I prefer over Zwift.

Right now I find it extremely difficult to get back on a trainer for more than an hour. Maybe that will change. I'd much rather bang out a 10k on the treadmill. But I'm not training/racing or have any race goals other than fitness to strive for.

Last edited:

The Squirrel

Cyclops fluid 2. I just watch CX races on youtube and do my Trainerroad workouts. It's been impossible to sit on my trainer for more than 30 minutes recently as I've developed a Sciatic nerve issue. I think my saddle is aggravating it.

I don't mind riding in the cold, it's just the mental game I have to play with myself before I actually go outside and ride. I lose this battle often.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
For several years I've had the same setup.
Road bike with spare wheel on a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine trainer. TrainerRoad software running on my iPad or laptop pairs with Garmin Speed/Cadence sensor and HRM.
I've been using The Sufferfest workouts since they were downloads only. They're stored on the laptop hard drive, and when I open TrainerRoad and select one of the 'fest workouts, it loads the video and automatically syncs it all up. I think I have about 15 of them. They recently built their own app, which is basically TrainerRoad and their workouts merged into one. Haven't used the app.

If I'm doing one of the thousands of TrainerRoad workouts, that do not have video, I'll use my iPad and throw on a CX or MTB race video on YouTube up on a 32" tv.

For the Sufferfest workouts, I have a Bluetooth speaker for the tunes. TrainerRoad I just use my phone and ear buds.

This setup has worked well. There are built in training plans in TrainerRoad for all disciplines and time constraints, and I have a few of the paid Sufferfest plans, which is where my weekly CX drills came from.

Tried Zwift once when it was still free and in Beta, was cool, but you really need a Kickr or other smart trainer.
TrainerRoad automatically syncs to Strava.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have a cycleops power something...power beam? cant remember....Somebody won it at martys rep night and sold it to me for good price. I just use the Rouvey app with it which has some good workouts and makes it pretty easy.

in terms of time pedaling it was incredibly efficient to build fitness and strength in relatively short duration sessions over not such a long time frame either.
Totally agree...if I can get into it mentally...The trainer is a better workout on a day like today where the trails are snow covered. That said...Doing 250w for an hour on the trainer is HARD for me...Doing it on my road bike outside...Maybe the very bottom edge of tempo.

I tried Zwift. It wasn't for me. I just couldn't get into the VR. I've also used Sufferfest which I prefer over Zwift.

I did give zwift a try for the free week of whatever they give you....Im mind blown how people get into...Its literally the worst video game ever invented by humans,....Its makes pong look like GTA. Btw...if you turn zwift into GTA...that would be a hit game...We should do this.

JDurk

Have my Cyclops Fluid 2 setup in the detached garage. Follow the CTS Time Crunched Cyclist plan. Create the workouts using Garmin Connect and upload to 510, speed/cadence sensor with HRM. Just music in my ears, looking out the garage window, no TV or video. Workout are usually around 60-75min, with nothing over 90. Since it's in the detached garage, still need to fully kit up like I'm riding outside. Do this on weekday mornings or evenings and get proper rides on the weekends.

Speaking of video, do not watch Jackass while riding rollers.

Top Bottom