The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Is it possible to calibrate my Cycleops Magnis without Rouvy, Traiiner Road or Zwift? Would be nice to do this before intervals without needing to sign on anywhere.

Robin

With @gtluke on Zwift and experiencing so many technological difficulties, I wouldn't be surprised if he comes up with/writes some sort of his own VR biking program!!!!

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Does zwift really not have audio support for shit talking to your friends?
How is this program so bad but so popular. It's like Strava's glaring missing features. Roadies must love shit that only half works that include absurd monthly payments. They must all lease Volkswagens too ;)

Absurd monthly payments? How much are you paying? I think I pay like $15/month. That's nothing. If you're comparing it to other online gaming, that's probably the problem there - there are a lot more fat, cheese-doodled dusted gamers "questing" against dragons in some pre-industrial fantasy land than there are people willing to sweat on a trainer to support lower payments in online gaming. I think for what it is (a way to ride indoors and offset the crushing boredom of staring at a blank wall while you turn the hamster wheel), you get plenty for what you pay.

But if the current offering isn't up to par with what you think something like this should be minimally, I suppose you could always design your own massive multi-user online visual training app with all the bells and whistles and sell it at a price that isn't so absurd, right?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
oh and wife wouldn't stop complaining about uncomfortable road bike, so I put my only mountain bike with QR on.
But it has maxxis tires so...
i-fx4G9Ws-XL.jpg

I popped all the zits, guess I have to buy a new tire even though it's like brand new other than falling apart.

Then it's actually too big to fit on the trainer, it rubs. So I put my road wheel on it.
i-cXxmQcf-XL.jpg

Anyone have a spare 10spd cassette of any kind and a smallish tire that'll fit on a crest? I have a spare wheel but no smaller tires or cassette. I cross tire would work or probably any mtb tire around 2.0. The ignitor just barely was rubbing.
Don't run a knobby tire on a trainer? That shit will smoke through in 30 minutes. Can you not keep the road wheel on there? Preferably with a trainer specific tire?

I have some cheappo cross tires you can have, and maybe some 1.9-2.0 29" tires too.

gtluke

The Moped
Absurd monthly payments? How much are you paying? I think I pay like $15/month. That's nothing. If you're comparing it to other online gaming, that's probably the problem there - there are a lot more fat, cheese-doodled dusted gamers "questing" against dragons in some pre-industrial fantasy land than there are people willing to sweat on a trainer to support lower payments in online gaming. I think for what it is (a way to ride indoors and offset the crushing boredom of staring at a blank wall while you turn the hamster wheel), you get plenty for what you pay.

But if the current offering isn't up to par with what you think something like this should be minimally, I suppose you could always design your own massive multi-user online visual training app with all the bells and whistles and sell it at a price that isn't so absurd, right?

sorry, you're way off.
zwift:
doesn't support the world's most popular computer
doesn't support audio

popular console networks are $10 a month to PLAY ALL GAMES online.
even second life is $10 a month, AND SUPPORTS AUDIO AND ANDROID

for $15 a month zwift should be processing the 3d graphics on THEIR side and streaming the video to me so it works seamlessly across any device capable of displaying video. Any TV or computer system. For $15 a month they should have a xbox style visualizer to count your cadence and determine which way you want to turn by your handlebars.

Sorry, it's way overpriced. They are raking in the money by charging you $15 a month to play a game with worse functionality than Doom.

gtluke

The Moped
That's pretty cool, but it would get pretty nasty with sweat.

zwift: android isn't powerful enough to run our shit 2d environment with no audio support. But I can play real 3d immersive games on it with a $15 headset. They need real developers.

gtluke

The Moped
I also have my trainer in front of the XBox setup. Sometimes I just play XBox.

yerp, that's my solution now. just use Rouvy/Cycleops which has actual programmers and continue doing what I've been doing all year and watching TV.
Have you watched Dark yet? It's really good.

Rouvy works fine
Need more batteries for my 2nd cadence sensor, died last night.
Smart trainer, multiple ant+ sensors, video, no problem on my phone. Good developers.

Screenshot_20180125-084216_Rouvy.jpg

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
when do we see the video
I did this once....Roller blade wheels on my cycleops rollers, then I built a frame out of wood. I think it worked good, not great...I could stand a little easier, etc. But in the end, I dont use the trainer enough to have a dedicated spot in my house for it and riding out in my garage wasnt motivating me. If you do have a good spot where you can just lever everything set up and you really prefer rollers over a trainer, id say its a worthwhile project. Now I just set the trainer up in my living room when I use it

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Sorry, it's way overpriced. They are raking in the money by charging you $15 a month to play a game with worse functionality than Doom.

I disagree. But it's probably fair to say that what I am buying is very different than what you are buying here. I'm not looking for a rich online experience or anything like that. You may be right from a tech point of view in all the things you say they should be doing. But those aren't things I care about, and they're certainly not what I'm paying for. I'm paying for the fact that it's a way to use a trainer that doesn't suck and gives me a good workout. And I'd argue that there are a lot more people using Zwift who think like I do on this one than think like you do. And if it's fair to say that our two different perspectives on what we should get for our money define distinct groups of users, me representing one and you the other, I'd probably say that Zwift isn't made for you - it's made for me.

So, like I said, if you think this is inadequate for what you are looking for, develop your own. And don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to be antagonistic in saying that. You may be recognizing an under-served part of the market here. Personally, I doubt it -- I think the expense to create what you are talking about is unnecessary given your audience (it's still cyclists we're talking about here - we want to suffer first and foremost. Whether that suffering takes place in a limited virtual universe or one so richly developed that it becomes almost indistinguishable from reality, it's still the suffering part we are after.) But who knows? There may be an audience. I'll bet when the guys first started developing Zwift as it is, there were many purists who didn't understand why it was better than just reaching down and turning the knob on their fluid trainer to make it harder. I think to reach a level that you are talking about would be prohibitively expensive and would require a charge a lot higher than $15/month given the upper limit on how many users you could draw in - at least initially. But if you could do all that development and convince enough users to abandon what they have now for the step up you are offering without going broke, your idea would probably eventually put Zwift on the trash heap of history. But that seems to me like a really long road to hoe and for most of us, Zwift is good enough now that we wouldn't feel any need to jump ship to help your bridge to solvency on an idea like that. The best bet for anyone thinking like you are would probably be to develop just the additional functionality and try selling it to Zwift to tack on to their existing platform.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@gtluke try The Sufferfest. if you can, on Windows. You get a 1 week free trial. Have a bucket near by.

Something @1speed touched on, is that the gaming ecosystems have the numbers to make pricing lower. How many XBox live accounts are there, vs, Zwift. Also, Zwift is/was a start up. Microsoft is the definition of the Evil Fucking Empire. (I know zero about what it takes to program anything) Economies of scale....

Seriously though...... The Sufferfest. Do it.

I may have an old 10sp 12-27 cassette lying around FWIW.

Top Bottom