The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

Put together a low end rocker board (tennis ball version) tonight to try out after reading about them online. Had the spare plywood so figured why not. Quick test and didn't get hurt, so will try for real tomorrow. Gives a bit of side to side rocking motion that feels better than fixed, little more 'on road' like. Wish me luck lol. View attachment 82319
4C9A4E4D-9475-4CFD-AE68-A7023683B0B3.gif

I'm probably going to build one of the tennis ball rockers. I was all about to do one with a hinge or linear bearings, then found out tennis balls seem to be the way to go. Our place is tiny so I'm holding off until I can figure out what dimensions/design works for the current and next trainer.

Let us know how it works out.

Tried it out today. I actually liked it better. I was definitely more comfortable during the ride. Just enough side to side movement to feel a little more real. I think the $7.78 investment for the cheap tennis balls.. I think it was worth it.
Of course my FTP ride only increased by 1 watt...so perhaps it didnt help with that. Think I will continue to tweak it a little. Perhaps add rolling rails so the whole bike will float like that new one being advertised. Hmmm...will need to find some angle iron (alum would be best) and some old inline skates for the wheels, and...

There's a whole Facebook group called Zwift rocker plates with tons of tips and examples on how to make one. I don't have the space to leave it set up or I would have made one already.

I build one, tried it, gave it to Sean. Never built another one.

He tried it, took it off, then never used it again.

Waste of time & effort IMO/IME.

If my time is wasted and my ass doesn't hurt any more than it does now from riding the trainer, I'm OK with that...

My Ass+Trainer=Ugh.

Need some assistance.
With group zwift training rides or races, with my smart trainer my watts don't seem to match up with ride specs. For example, it says to ride 235 watts at 90 rpm, if I ride at 235 watts my rpms are lower than group. I have to ride slight faster RPM and slower watts to stay with group.
Would this be a Zwift resistance setting?? I calibrate the trainer (Tacx Vortex) before the ride.
Thoughts from experienced zwifters??
Neil

Need some assistance.
With group zwift training rides or races, with my smart trainer my watts don't seem to match up with ride specs. For example, it says to ride 235 watts at 90 rpm, if I ride at 235 watts my rpms are lower than group. I have to ride slight faster RPM and slower watts to stay with group.
Would this be a Zwift resistance setting?? I calibrate the trainer (Tacx Vortex) before the ride.
Thoughts from experienced zwifters??
Neil

Dumb question, are you shifting to try to match the power & cadence?

Yes, tried. Few gears. Just cant seem to match. If RPMs are matched then watts are lower, sometimes 5-10watts lower. The difference gets greater as required ride watts go up.

Road bike, tacx trainer tire. 11-32 cassette. Maybe 11-32 gaps too big? Should I find 11-28 with smaller variance between geara?

Getting much more consistent (non drop outs) performance on the Apple TV with all the sensors connected as one BT channel trough the CABle thingy.

I have a dumb question. I have an old mag trainer, HR monitor, and speed/cadence sensor. I tried zwift and didn't like it so I'm just doing regular training plan stuff trying to get so I suck less for next year's riding. My question is how do I run the resistance of the trainer? It has a dial on the side that goes from "min" to "max" and I've just been using it all the way max. Is that the right way to do it?

I have a dumb question. I have an old mag trainer, HR monitor, and speed/cadence sensor. I tried zwift and didn't like it so I'm just doing regular training plan stuff trying to get so I suck less for next year's riding. My question is how do I run the resistance of the trainer? It has a dial on the side that goes from "min" to "max" and I've just been using it all the way max. Is that the right way to do it?

does it go to 11?

Yeah - run it all the way up. other settings are for people who don't really ride.

Back
Top Bottom