The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

Haha - ask @UtahJoe what his Stages says. Mine has read inordinately high before also.

My Kickr seems fine. It started to drift down once so I did the spin-down thing and it seemed better. But all things considered, I can hold far higher power outside as compared to inside.

Do the spin down, see what happens. Then just race a bunch. If it says you are stronger than you are, who cares? Race the Bs then As. There's always someone stronger. Just try to catch them.
Mines the opposite, stages be lower. Which is fine. I did the B race doe

Seriously, I know he’s a beast but I wanted to blow my brains out when I thought he held something like 340w for over 2 hours.

354 watts for 1:45min....After I sent them the file they agreed that something MIGHT be wrong with it and they sent me a brand new one........I did a trainer ride with the new one on monday...181w with the trainer, 254 with the stages/garmin. This was a ride where my ave HR was 103, so not exactly hard lol. Anyway, this hunk of shit will be going back too. Which will make it my 7th stages in 5 years.

Sadly my old PT wheel finally died.

the thing is, they are obviously both wrong, but which one is closest to being righter? I think following the stages is going to make the most sense

the thing is, they are obviously both wrong, but which one is closest to being righter? I think following the stages is going to make the most sense

Who cares? Does it make a difference in your race results?

I'd be more concerned with which is most consistent, even if it is consistently wrong....

I'd be more concerned with which is most consistent, even if it is consistently wrong....
I dont mind the difference in the numbers persay, but the way the stages differs it what really bothers me. Its not constantly different...Having both displays up at the same time, the stages is like is REALLY sensitive to any small spike in torque...So at times the power from the trainer is 25w lower, but other times its 100w lower. So I can use the stages for doing a steady state interval (VERY STEADY STATE), but its complete garbage for anything else

Who cares? Does it make a difference in your race results?
of course not, but shouldn't you follow one to track progress versus bouncing between both, especially with how far they are off in my world?

Other than needing to count to 1 as opposed to 2, I would ask this. Why does it matter?
what, who stole your login information!?

isn't having consistent power numbers valuable, otherwise its just a random number? that flashes on a screen randomly?

isn't having consistent power numbers valuable, otherwise its just a random number? that flashes on a screen randomly?

There are a lot of variable to that question/answer. But for me personally, indoor & outdoor workouts have pretty much different parameters.

There are a lot of variable to that question/answer. But for me personally, indoor & outdoor workouts have pretty much different parameters.

I'm interested to hear what you mean by this, I am the excel opposite, I try to make the indoor and outdoor rides as close to the same as I can, (obviously road) not disagreeing with you, I just want to understand what you mean.

I'm interested to hear what you mean by this, I am the excel opposite, I try to make the indoor and outdoor rides as close to the same as I can, (obviously road) not disagreeing with you, I just want to understand what you mean.
Wind, temperature, humidity, pollen, traffic, pedestrians, other riders, squirrels/wildlife, roadkill, potholes, glass, sand, gravel, intersections, soft tarmac due to heat, chip seal... the list could go on forever.

Wind, temperature, humidity, pollen, traffic, pedestrians, other riders, squirrels/wildlife, roadkill, potholes, glass, sand, gravel, intersections, soft tarmac due to heat, chip seal... the list could go on forever.
Yes all true, but as far as power targets?.

I never really use power outside.

Indoor on the KICKR I do very specific workouts. Like:
X minutes at Y watts with Z recovery
Repeat 3 times then do something else similarly specific.

When I do go on my road bike and actually remember to calibrate my power tap, I find I am putting out higher power, but it's hard to say for sure because there isn't the same structure.

After using power for a while, I feel confident that I could get along fine without it and just go by perceived effort.

But apps and data are fun.

I haven't "trained" in a couple years, but when I was it was very difficult for me to replicate the same power numbers indoors that I was doing outdoors. I have a Powertap hub and a "dumb" trainer, and the perceived effort indoors at an interval at 350W or whatever was (and felt) waaaaayyyy harder to do indoors on the trainer than outdoors on the road. Could be a function of the trainer, some weird tire deflection on the rolling pin on the trainer (maybe I compressed the tire too much type of thing) or whatever. I actually like riding my trainer and doing specific, focused workouts. Couple years ago I tried to do an FTP test and it was soooooo much harder than what I was doing on the road and the Watts were about 20% lower too. Could never reconcile the differences...

I never really use power outside.

Indoor on the KICKR I do very specific workouts. Like:
X minutes at Y watts with Z recovery
Repeat 3 times then do something else similarly specific.

When I do go on my road bike and actually remember to calibrate my power tap, I find I am putting out higher power, but it's hard to say for sure because there isn't the same structure.

After using power for a while, I feel confident that I could get along fine without it and just go by perceived effort.

But apps and data are fun.
I get i... I would feel the same way if i had the same problems, but the fact mine are switched is kind of throwing me for a loop. I can understand and accept thatindoor and outdoor power being that different.

I stated before that I’ve tried the @pooriggy approach and only leave my elapsed time (for eating and drinking) and cadence data screens on my garmin... feels good so far. Had interesting numbers in races.

I think i would fail miserably at perceived effort.

Back
Top Bottom