The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well done. There's a lot to keep track of with all this tech. When you race, as per @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST's recommendation, turn ERG mode off if Zwift doesn't do that automatically. The races and group rides are a great way to stay engaged. Too much spinning around with no goal in mind can get boooooooooring.

-Is there actual "erg" mode available for races? I would think erg mode wouldn't work as it's resistance based. Going up/down hills, etc. Workouts I can see erg mode being available as that's wattage based.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor

Ha, that’s funny. Sadly, I’m only doing this indoor thing so I can make it through a real ride. Riding, real riding, (other than DH) hadn’t been all that much fun for me for over a year now. I don’t need to be fast, just want to have energy to enjoy what riding I DO get to do.... pathetic? Yes. But. It’s where I am and this MAY help or at least slow down the rate congealment. How’s that for a image. :oops:

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
-Is there actual "erg" mode available for races? I would think erg mode wouldn't work as it's resistance based. Going up/down hills, etc. Workouts I can see erg mode being available as that's wattage based.

"erg" mode is availbe for group rides. The zwift-wizards adjust the difficulty based on your FTP and everyone stays together. The "hills" are just there in theory but they don't affect your power output when you're on one of these types of group rides or a power-based workout.

rick81721

Lothar
Ha, that’s funny. Sadly, I’m only doing this indoor thing so I can make it through a real ride. Riding, real riding, (other than DH) hadn’t been all that much fun for me for over a year now. I don’t need to be fast, just want to have energy to enjoy what riding I DO get to do.... pathetic? Yes. But. It’s where I am and this MAY help or at least slow down the rate congealment. How’s that for a image. :oops:

Yeah I know your story. Seriously, if I were stuck in stinkin NJ all winter I'd spring for a wahoo kicker and set up my own fake riding station, because let's be honest, really cold weather riding blows.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Yeah I know your story. Seriously, if I were stuck in stinkin NJ all winter I'd spring for a wahoo kicker and set up my own fake riding station, because let's be honest, really cold weather riding blows.
At least with “The Climb” I get to go up-n-down on my ride.....no more putting in quarters in the horse-ee ride in front of Woolworth’s for me. ;)

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
You bought the Wahoo Climb?!!! Awesome. Is it giving you the happies?

It’s like any new toy........

Observations:

1) It’s too small to make a good clothes rack.
2) it’s noisy and s little clunky if you manually cycle it but in actual use it’s pretty smooth and you can’t hear it over the wheezing... or maybe that’s just me.
3) there’s a slight lag on small rollers, but there’s a lag on the kickr too (I use the Apple TV for Zwift) soooo.
4) it allows me to think of trainer residence as something other than a permanent headwind.

qclabrat

Observations:

2) it’s noisy and s little clunky if you manually cycle it but in actual use it’s pretty smooth and you can’t hear it over the wheezing... or maybe that’s just me.
3) there’s a slight lag on small rollers, but there’s a lag on the kickr too (I use the Apple TV for Zwift) soooo.
4) it allows me to think of trainer residence as something other than a permanent headwind.
rockinghorse.jpg

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Juggernaut some other videos i watch to pass the time are also on youtube -- if you search something.like mtbtraining videos
There are some races, but also just dudes videoing training rides (mostly from europe actually). I tend to focus better on my indoor rides if i feel like im riding a trail somewherr as opposed to watching the news or a tv show...but i also dont hate it like.some do

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor

Observations:

Follow up: more “User Error” last night. Doing the FTP builder training plan and Foundations was on the calendar. That starts with a 10 min warmup before starting the 4min effort followed by 2 min recovery cycle (rinse repeat)... well what I didn’t realize that ERG mode can be sabotaged by having the climb in active mode. Erg also gets fubard if you you’re careless when putzing around with the companion app. Long story short my 10 min warmup ended up being a 30+ min warmup with some throw away intervals toss’d in for shits and giggles.....apparently I’m both a Nube AND a Noob. :oops:

@Norm what desk did you end up getting?

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Well, I'm here. Didn't think I would, but yup.

Team peezy bought a kickr snap, I bought zwift, did one ride to see what it was all about in the storm, then I woke up at 6am on a Saturday with family in town to do a 7am virtual bike race. I got DQ'd since I didn't use a HRM. wtf?

I totally get this whole thing now, and it's a great option and makes time go by fast. The ERG mode for intervals is amazing.

Now, questions for dudes/dudettes with power meters outside:

How off is your power from your device outside to your kickr? I haven't calibrated it, which may be all my problem is since I just opened it, bolted it up and started swifting. I really don't want to do a 20m FTP test to figure out what it should be, and I have never done one either. I ran my Garmin as well as using zwift to record the race, and I came up with these numbers:

Zwift Power Numbers:
Avg Power: 277
Weighted Avg Power: 279
Max: 679

Stages Power Numbers:
NP: 243
Avg: 229
Max: 608

I was getting after it too, avg 186 HR, Max of 200. It was a solid 30:36 of pedaling.

The Zwift numbers make sense, I have done a 20m at 277 effort outdoors, and the Stages just seems to be reading much, much lower.

Which is digits be right? Is the Stages picking up the subtle difference with the small hills in ERG mode? I have read that people use their own power to control the smart trainer instead of the Kickr power, but now I wonder if I'd be getting a bad number from it.

I'm going to try a spin down test next time I attempt to ride it, but if anyone has any other ideas or thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Team peezy bought a kickr snap, I bought zwift, did one ride to see what it was all about in the storm, then I woke up at 6am on a Saturday with family in town to do a 7am virtual bike race. I got DQ'd since I didn't use a HRM. wtf?

I totally get this whole thing now, and it's a great option and makes time go by fast. The ERG mode for intervals is amazing.

How off is your power from your device outside to your kickr? I haven't calibrated it, which may be all my problem is since I just opened it, bolted it up and started swifting. I really don't want to do a 20m FTP test to figure out what it should be, and I have never done one either. I ran my Garmin as well as using zwift to record the race, and I came up with these numbers:

Zwift Power Numbers:

Stages Power Numbers:

I was getting after it too, avg 186 HR, Max of 200. It was a solid 30:36 of pedaling.

The Zwift numbers make sense, I have done a 20m at 277 effort outdoors, and the Stages just seems to be reading much, much lower.

Which is digits be right? Is the Stages picking up the subtle difference with the small hills in ERG mode? I have read that people use their own power to control the smart trainer instead of the Kickr power, but now I wonder if I'd be getting a bad number from it.

I'm going to try a spin down test next time I attempt to ride it, but if anyone has any other ideas or thoughts, I'd love to hear them.
My first kickr read 10% higher than my bike power units. Eventually wahoo made some firmware updates and it got worked out. I have mine set to use bike power instead so now it doesn’t really matter what the kickr thinks. If you want to win zwift races use the higher one. If you want a better workout use the lower one. If you care about comparing indoor and outdoor efforts use the one you use outside.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
My first kickr read 10% higher than my bike power units. Eventually wahoo made some firmware updates and it got worked out. I have mine set to use bike power instead so now it doesn’t really matter what the kickr thinks. If you want to win zwift races use the higher one. If you want a better workout use the lower one. If you care about comparing indoor and outdoor efforts use the one you use outside.

but you saying that the stages is still 100% correct regardless of what the trainer/zwift/kickr power is saying, correct?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Haha - ask @UtahJoe what his Stages says. Mine has read inordinately high before also.

My Kickr seems fine. It started to drift down once so I did the spin-down thing and it seemed better. But all things considered, I can hold far higher power outside as compared to inside.

Do the spin down, see what happens. Then just race a bunch. If it says you are stronger than you are, who cares? Race the Bs then As. There's always someone stronger. Just try to catch them.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

Zwift Power Numbers:

Stages Power Numbers:

tenor.gif

Top Bottom