The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
It's just not in my DNA. My bike is also 4ft from my wood burning stove. So it's probably 90deg+ where I'm sitting.
I also uncontrollably shiver if it's under like 60 degrees. ha

no sweat/cold at higher temps, this is interesting in combo with the raynauds. def a genetic/hereditary thing.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Using a Cycleops magnus I am having slippage issues when on steep grades on ZWIFT. I have a cycleops trainer tire. Sort of frustrating. Any tips or tricks?

gtluke

The Moped
Using a Cycleops magnus I am having slippage issues when on steep grades on ZWIFT. I have a cycleops trainer tire. Sort of frustrating. Any tips or tricks?
My trainer slips a lot too. Play with the tire pressure and tension of the wheelie thing.
In theory less pressure and more tension should get you better tire to wheelie traction.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, like @gtluke says, it's gonna be some combination of the two. Unfortunately, you're experiencing what drove the initial push into wheel off trainers like Lemond's and the Cycleops Silencer. They're bigger and harder to deal with underfoot, but when you're pushing big watts or low gears, the interface is solid. Which does nothing for your problem. I'll do some looking around. As always, check the dcrainmaker review of the Magnus, and the comment section. Ray often follows up there on stuff like this.

CrankAddictRich

My trainer slips a lot too. Play with the tire pressure and tension of the wheelie thing.
In theory less pressure and more tension should get you better tire to wheelie traction.

Do you guys have the roller clamped tight enough? The cycleops trainers have a almost like a clutch system, you tighten the knob and then once it gets tight enough, it won't tighten any further and almost does this click/slip thing... similar to like child safety lids on medicine. I know when I first started on a trainer, I was getting slippage, because I didn't know I had to tighten it until get reaches that point.

gtluke

The Moped
Do you guys have the roller clamped tight enough? The cycleops trainers have a almost like a clutch system, you tighten the knob and then once it gets tight enough, it won't tighten any further and almost does this click/slip thing... similar to like child safety lids on medicine. I know when I first started on a trainer, I was getting slippage, because I didn't know I had to tighten it until get reaches that point.
yeah mine has that. If I push it in hard I can bypass the clutch and get more tension on the tire. I have to do that, and then add more air to the tire to get it tight enough. I'm going to experiment this week with less tire pressure. I have my normal 80ish PSI in the tires but I'm wondering if at like 60psi and more clutch pressure it would grip better. The added friction gets calibrated out right? I think...

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
yeah mine has that. If I push it in hard I can bypass the clutch and get more tension on the tire. I have to do that, and then add more air to the tire to get it tight enough. I'm going to experiment this week with less tire pressure. I have my normal 80ish PSI in the tires but I'm wondering if at like 60psi and more clutch pressure it would grip better. The added friction gets calibrated out right? I think...
I have tried most of this. Mine has the clitch and you are lucky to get one extra click. I may upgrade to a direct drive next year.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Google spin down test. I was Googling around for a smart trainer and was just reading something somewhere where you should get 8-16 seconds of spin down after 10 minutes of warm up under proper tension and pressure or something of the sort.

Otherwise, you're putting down too much power. Ride outside, as you say!

gtluke

The Moped
It’s only really noticeable on a couple climbs when you get up to 12-15% grade.
Same. I actually have learned to be smoother on the bike as a result.
I ride every bike like it's a SS and have terrible form. This whole indoor thing is teaching me to pedal like I should. Nice and smooth to not waste power on wheel slippage.

CrankAddictRich

I think the problem might be too low pressure in the tire. Are you using an actual trainer tire? I've always run the pressure on my trainer tire pretty high. I'm guessing that running the low pressure is allowing air to move, within the tire and is introducing slippage between the tire and drum.

gtluke

The Moped
I think the problem might be too low pressure in the tire. Are you using an actual trainer tire? I've always run the pressure on my trainer tire pretty high. I'm guessing that running the low pressure is allowing air to move, within the tire and is introducing slippage between the tire and drum.
Hmm but high pressure would mean less surface area touching the drum.
I'm using a regular road tire.
I'll experiment. I'm using 80-90psi now. I'll see if 60 is better or worse next time I use it.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Regular road tire. Regular road pressure. 23c Conti4000s (from before I went tubeless). right around 100psi. zero issues for since I got the trainer in 2011.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Regular road tire. Regular road pressure. 23c Conti4000s (from before I went tubeless). right around 100psi. zero issues for since I got the trainer in 2011.

I assume you're on the dumb trainer path like me? This isn't an issue for dumb trainers so much as it is for the smart trainers when the resistance goes super high.

The thing I always realize when I put the bike on the trainer is that road tires are pretty non-uniform. That's not going to help.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I assume you're on the dumb trainer path like me? This isn't an issue for dumb trainers so much as it is for the smart trainers when the resistance goes super high.

The thing I always realize when I put the bike on the trainer is that road tires are pretty non-uniform. That's not going to help.
Yeah... Kurt Kinetic Road Machine... Dumb as a box of rocks.... I have the stock wheel with an old road tire and a 11-25 cassette just for the trainer. I've gone thru a few tires, not many. Still have a few non-tubeless sitting around waiting to meet their maker. Didn't think about the smaht trainers causing a problem until yo mentioned it.

trener1

Try running your tire at 120 PSI. that might fix the issue.
I know that back in the day Computrainer recommended pumping up the tires around 120.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Try running your tire at 120 PSI. that might fix the issue.
I know that back in the day Computrainer recommended pumping up the tires around 120.

i had some sort of weird deja vu moment. sorry :D

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah... Kurt Kinetic Road Machine... Dumb as a box of rocks.... I have the stock wheel with an old road tire and a 11-25 cassette just for the trainer. I've gone thru a few tires, not many. Still have a few non-tubeless sitting around waiting to meet their maker. Didn't think about the smaht trainers causing a problem until yo mentioned it.
Does nobody use trainer specific tires!?

I bought a blue, Tacx tire for my dumb trainer a while ago. Of course I've used it one time. Will be looking for a not-dumb trainer in the next few months to actually use it on.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does nobody use trainer specific tires!?

I bought a blue, Tacx tire for my dumb trainer a while ago. Of course I've used it one time. Will be looking for a not-dumb trainer in the next few months to actually use it on.
Dumb trainers don't know the difference.. :rolleyes:

Besides, my setup is in the basement, so noise isn't really a concern, especially when I have the external speaker going....

Top Bottom