The Heckle Report

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dude.... Mixed emotions here after reading this..... Bummed to hear about the DNS at HPCX and the end of the 2017 season... However, many positives here, and I believe that long term, the benefit will out weigh missing a few races. Clearing house like this is very draining, and doesn't mix well with racing, especially as the weather changes and prepping for/recovering from races becomes more challenging. Getting the student loans paid off, and hitting Ctrl Alt Dlt on everything else will set you up for a better path forward. Having to get all the small projects done, and enjoying it is good too.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
As you get older, responsibilities increase, you feel more outside pressure, and life has a way of throwing curve balls and other obstacles at you. I don't know if things will get easier. They may not.
This is a learning experience for sure. Think about what you could have done differently to maintain though all the shit you're dealing with. I've asked myself that same question after tough times and the answers I came up with usually resonate and help push through challenging times.
But, sometimes, there is no answer other than taking a break.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
or move back in with my parents. Woof.
This is not a bad thing. Put "the rent" somewhere safe and you'll be way ahead and looking at buying a house next year. One step backwards, two steps forward.

It's almost thanksgiving anyway, you made it pretty far into the season for the normal folks!

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My silver lining as been that I’ve really been enjoying the handyman work.
You're adulting! It sucks.
I'm trying to force a huge mess of a house with two addl' adults in it into the same small hole I've called my life for the past ten years. It ain't fitting. Bikes went away this year for me too. As well as smiling.
Seems like you've held onto the important stuff :)
Congrats on making the call.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
hooray life!

i had to move back home with my tail between my legs at one point in my 20s. it happens. do what you are doing - keep busy. its true what they say about idle hands.

as for the pain - good for you taking a break. keep going and you're gonna set up a pavlonian response in your head when it comes to bikes. burnout and pain sucks. is it your IT bands? i read back and didn't see exactly where the pain is.

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
As you get older, responsibilities increase, you feel more outside pressure, and life has a way of throwing curve balls and other obstacles at you. I don't know if things will get easier. They may not.
This is a learning experience for sure. Think about what you could have done differently to maintain though all the shit you're dealing with. I've asked myself that same question after tough times and the answers I came up with usually resonate and help push through challenging times.
But, sometimes, there is no answer other than taking a break.
I think the big influences are

1. The last minute move. It went from January to Thanks giving to 11/4 to last Thursday in the span of 4 weeks. I decided on Thursday the previous sunday when I got back from DCCX. This was more or less out of my hands. I could have been proactive earlier in the summer when they got engaged but had other life shit going on and naive me thought I was unobtrusive income.

2. My body. Aches and pains are 100% attributed to me not stretching or rolling or taking enough care of myself. I rode a lot this year, got fit AF and didn't take care of myself. All on me. My B.

3. Results. This would be a non-issue if 1 or 2 weren't on the table. It's never been about doing well. I've always loved racing whether I was in the front 1/4 or back 1/4 of a race. Racing up front is enjoyable in a different way than getting spit out the back of a UCI race, point being i still usually find satisfaction in both.

They all kinda feed each other. What a nasty cycle.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I had back issues that started a little over a year ago and got really bad around late April of this year. It turned out I had a couple of herniated discs. I got treatment for them in May and have been pretty solid ever since, despite not being able to fit my yoga classes in due to changes in the studio's schedule. Stretching is a really good idea, but you might want to get checked out first because stretching if there is some actual injury could make it worse.

One thing to be aware of, though, if you do find you need treatments: make sure you check your health coverage before doing anything that involves an element of pain management. My payer (NJ BCBS) just changed their coverage levels and because of that, if I were to get those same back treatments today, I wouldn't be covered for the anesthesia. That's kind of ridiculous because the procedure itself involves threading a very large needle into a very specific spot in your spinal column and if you can't be knocked out while getting it, you're pretty likely to move from the excruciating pain (I've had a needle stuck in my back without being knocked out before and it is really painful.) But it's not covered anymore because the payer is trying to incent doctors to do these procedures in their own offices since it's much cheaper for the payer from a total medical outlay perspective that way (no OR fees, no post-op care, etc.) They're even paying the doctors a lot more if it's done in the office vs. in an outpatient surgery center. So, anyway, just something to be aware of if your back issues turn out to be something bigger than flexibility concerns.

Mountain Bike Mike

These old farts are throwing a ton of wisdom at ya... Go hike a mountain and ponder on that shit.

Virtual brohug

When you decide to dust off the MTB, hit me up. I have some time off and plan on riding up north. A place like Jungle or something.

Last edited:

Mountain Bike Mike

I had back issues that started a little over a year ago and got really bad around late April of this year. It turned out I had a couple of herniated discs. I got treatment for them in May and have been pretty solid ever since, despite not being able to fit my yoga classes in due to changes in the studio's schedule. Stretching is a really good idea, but you might want to get checked out first because stretching if there is some actual injury could make it worse.

One thing to be aware of, though, if you do find you need treatments: make sure you check your health coverage before doing anything that involves an element of pain management. My payer (NJ BCBS) just changed their coverage levels and because of that, if I were to get those same back treatments today, I wouldn't be covered for the anesthesia. That's kind of ridiculous because the procedure itself involves threading a very large needle into a very specific spot in your spinal column and if you can't be knocked out while getting it, you're pretty likely to move from the excruciating pain (I've had a needle stuck in my back without being knocked out before and it is really painful.) But it's not covered anymore because the payer is trying to incent doctors to do these procedures in their own offices since it's much cheaper for the payer from a total medical outlay perspective that way (no OR fees, no post-op care, etc.) They're even paying the doctors a lot more if it's done in the office vs. in an outpatient surgery center. So, anyway, just something to be aware of if your back issues turn out to be something bigger than flexibility concerns.

Lesson learned from the Great 1 Speed... Ride suspension and gears or you’ll pay for it in medical expenses.... and become a health benefits guru as a side affect

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Best of luck moving forward @The Heckler. I just started a new job myself and am still in search for a balance. I hope it comes sooner than later. Fortunately, every ride for me is a fun ride as I am extremely non-competitive. Sometimes there are just more important things that you have to get in check and find your life rhythm first. Hope to see you at a group ride, because riding for fun > other rides.

A place like Jungle or something.
In!

chuprinko

Also dont overlook the impact of stress. Life changes and stress can really have some odd impacts to the mind and body.
Even in decent health, stress has the tendency to tighten and lock up my back. Things to be cognesent of.

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
How to SSCX
p/b SLYFOX CX

1. Leave the group racing for 3rd for $ handup.
IMG_8141.JPG

2. Fist bump @rsinger814 .
IMG_8143.JPG

3. Identify and take cookie hand up.
IMG_8140.JPG

4. Podium.
IMG_8142.JPG

But really Sly Fox was hella tight. SUPER FUN course and an atmosphere that was truly alive. I thought "at least I won't have to die on Mayerson's pro line," then I showed up and rode the death chute. WOO WEE! Offcampber bumpy muddy DH. Great feature.

I've been almost entirely off the bike for 3 weeks leading up to this race. Definitely no hard efforts since HPCX. It hurt the lungs a lot. Of course it was only 3 laps at around 26(ish) minutes.

OH, wayyyyyyyyyyy over geared. 40-18 (lol) Brought my crit gear to a MTB race.

Ty flatted out of our group in 3rd, and then the other guy hit the pipe at the bottom of the downhill a bit in front of me. I hadn't yet caught him after I stopped on the run up and only saw him on the ground after I was by.

Did I mention how sketch the DH was?

Next up!??!

Prooobbbbably done with CX for the year. Possibly the schooley's mountain challenge this sunday if I get my saddle back on the MTB and find my cold weather gear!

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You should do either Westwood or Solstice. There's no reason you can't show up and race and enjoy either of those two. Westwood especially as it's not really far at all.

-Steve

Mountain Bike Mike

I’m happy to see you back to the usual shenanigans...

I’ve learned from your pursuits that UCI stuff is amazingly honorable and difficult and soul sucking.

Top Bottom