The Heckle Report

soulchild

Couldn't help myself. Even has a pre-insane Charlie Sheen.:D

TheWraithPoster-580.jpg

Nicely done. I think I posted this in the 'movies Pearl should see thread'.

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
I wish I saw more steel out racing cross.

It makes sense to me as a cross bike material.

Seems to be a lot more than road at least, which is reasonably understandable in that application.

The Heckler

Races 9 & 10 - Rapha Super Cross Gloucester

Gloucester is the kickoff to Holy Week. What's Holy Week?? Holy week is two back to back weekends of UCI cyclocross racing 100 miles apart. It draws all of the big pros and swarms of racers and spectators from across New England and beyond. The Wednesday between also features a local race called Night Weasels. Yes, it is under the lights, and yes, I'm driving back to MA tomorrow to race it.

Gloucester takes place at Stage Fort Park which is right on the water. From almost anywhere on the course you can see the harbor. The beer garden butts up against a 5 stair set which is the most energetic spot on the course. As the day goes on more and more people collect, drink and cheer.

If the course was not on the water I honestly wouldn't find it too amazing. I would say it is an average course. Both days featured three stair sets, fast straight away barriers. Saturday also included a ride-able sand pit. As far as elevation there is a long gravel road false flat and a sprint-able mild climb on the finish line straight. The course makers did a good job minimizing rest areas. My heart was basically red lined the whole race with minimal time to recover without bleeding positions.

Conditions were very hot and very very dry both days. A cool ocean breeze helped while off the bike actually making the shade too cool.

Saturday:
Cross points put my call-up at 32 - 4th row. At the whistle I hit my pedal and ripped up the sprint hill. I gained a little and went into the course around 20 or so. I had a very strong first lap and a half and was sitting comfy somewhere mid teens when the flat happened. I'm still not sure if I pinched or punctured but damn what this race.

I slowed up and stayed on the bike 1/3 of the lap to the pit riding my Chinese plastic rim. I threw in my extra wheel on and ripped back into the field. During this time Zach passed me along with about every nemesis I have at the moment. I went from a relatively comfy pace to a cocked head teeth grinding pace. I rode my face off the remaining 3 laps and managed to make my way back to 30th/129. Two spots ahead of where I started and about 15 back from where I flatted for an all Cat 3 field.

Something unique to this race is that they actually emailed results about 20 minutes after each race finish complete with full lap splits. My 2nd lap flat cost me 1 minute over my slowest lap. Had I maintained my pace without the flat I could have had a top 20. Not very upset, just reflecting.

Something very special was the appearance of Laughing Dog shop owner - Parker and his family at this race. Parker busts his ass at the small western Mass shop and doesn't get the opportunity often to come and see us race. It was great to have him cheering and to see how stoked he was for the whole team's results.

Post race I skipped the water and instead opted for 3 IPAs back to back to back. I may have gotten a little rowdy for elite races but hey, we had a team tent and I was with all my friends.

I managed to seal my wheel up with Stan's but also found some chipped carbon on the brake track which is not used for braking as I rock the discs! Hopefully it would hold for Sunday.

For dinner my buddies dad cooked up probably 6-8 racks of ribs in his back yard smoker. Man were these good ribs. I had 6 and 3 servings of beans and home made slaw. Mrs. Berry picked the cabbage from her garden that day. Best slaw ever. Oh, also, home made pickles. YUM.

The rest of the night was spent hanging by the fire with the team just chatting about bikes and whatever else. Great end to the day.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cool, sounds like a good start to the weekend. Bummer about the flat but this is racing. Anyone who bats 100% doesn't go to the plate very often.

From the pics, and now your description, this course seems like it's over-hyped a bit. I saw a lot of videos and it seemed like the place was an Oklahoma dust bowl. I did not see much of any grass at all.

The Heckler

From the pics, and now your description, this course seems like it's over-hyped a bit. I saw a lot of videos and it seemed like the place was an Oklahoma dust bowl. I did not see much of any grass at all.

Very little grass. It was drier than last year. The course is made exceptional by the venue and the crowds.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I am surprised more of the cross racers on this site don't head up there, especially some are always saying, "why race unless I can race against the best of my class" type of deal. The larger crowds appeals to me more as there is some excitement happening somewhere. Seeing these NJ recaps pics and there is like 1 person walking there dog and 1 other person not paying attention to the race makes it seem less appealing to want to be a part of it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am surprised more of the cross racers on this site don't head up there, especially some are always saying, "why race unless I can race against the best of my class" type of deal. The larger crowds appeals to me more as there is some excitement happening somewhere. Seeing these NJ recaps pics and there is like 1 person walking there dog and 1 other person not paying attention to the race makes it seem less appealing to want to be a part of it.

I think it's hard to fit every awesome cross race into the schedule. A lot of us do Nittany & Charm, and then you get to the point where you have to ask just how many hotels you want to pay for in the fall. You could drive to Nittany. But those 2 doubles give you excellent competition and are somewhat sorta close. Well Nittany is anyway.

I feel like the crowds at both venues were less than years past. And I think cross in general is getting too big to be fun anymore in some respects. I am repeating myself to some but I think it's getting too serious, and you're going to see less and less heckling and more and more over-serious people. I think Cross Vegas showed us that the big names of cross want it to be all business. And ok, I'm fine with that. But you know, if heckling is frowned upon then it's just not gonna be as fun anymore.

The NJ races are sort of like small impromptu BBQs in the hood. Maybe you see a handful of friends and you race some people you know. And really, the competition is still solid but just not as deep. Roger races in the MAC races as well as at Westwood. It's just that there aren't as many people lining up with him. The Westwood course is very good for cross, but the venue just doesn't bring people in for whatever reason. It's not a popular place to go and hang out all day. Maybe it's the parking lot that is the size of 40 football fields, if not more, that makes it somewhat unappealing.

A lot of people use the NJ races as training for other stuff. So it's like saying that going out to watch Pearl raid KOMs is boring to cheer. Sure, it is, but the guys racing are there for a purpose, and we still get to see each other. Having said that, I agree that guys that are just there for the scene are not going to find a lot of these local races very exciting so they won't show.

Dominique

Team MTBNJ Halter's

It's true that it's more exciting to race with a whole bunch of people but if no one races the (smaller) NJ series, than those races will eventually disappear and then how will we get more people involved in the sport. Local races should be supported by all, not just beginners.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
It's true that it's more exciting to race with a whole bunch of people but if no one races the (smaller) NJ series, than those races will eventually disappear and then how will we get more people involved in the sport. Local races should be supported by all, not just beginners.

This is a good point. Some of the marketing nerds probably have all kinds of numbers on this. If you hear about a race or event and 10 people were there, everyone that reads the recap is like MEH, 10 people doesnt sound fun. Next year it is 50, then 150, then 300 and now everyone like, I need to gets in on that business.

The Heckler

Most of my smaller races have been in New England. For the most part they tend to be a blast. I think there may be a few more local "party teams" up north.

My local NJ small race experiences are actually limited to 2 days of Marty Cross and Bubble Cross, both of which were pretty fun events. Races like HPCX and Whirlybird draw huge and are made fun to be at by the crowds. Leaky faucets helped facilitate that at Whirly but HPCX was the heckle pit at the barrier with dollar bill hand ups.

I'm realizing now I enjoyed both of those races as a spectator because I was contributing to the dollar bill madness and heckling. Hell, I slam dunked a shot block and half my fist into Norm's mouth at MartyX.

My name is The Heckler I guess..

If you want these events to be fun and over the top to spectate you need to step forward and provide the energy. A few seeds of cheer encourage laughter and more cheering.

From the standpoint of the racers being serious it is also up to you to encourage good heckling when it happens. Take the dollars, you need them to replace the broken bits on your bike.

Mountain Bike Mike

Most of my smaller races have been in New England. For the most part they tend to be a blast. I think there may be a few more local "party teams" up north.

My local NJ small race experiences are actually limited to 2 days of Marty Cross and Bubble Cross, both of which were pretty fun events. Races like HPCX and Whirlybird draw huge and are made fun to be at by the crowds. Leaky faucets helped facilitate that at Whirly but HPCX was the heckle pit at the barrier with dollar bill hand ups.

I'm realizing now I enjoyed both of those races as a spectator because I was contributing to the dollar bill madness and heckling. Hell, I slam dunked a shot block and half my fist into Norm's mouth at MartyX.

My name is The Heckler I guess..

If you want these events to be fun and over the top to spectate you need to step forward and provide the energy. A few seeds of cheer encourage laughter and more cheering.

From the standpoint of the racers being serious it is also up to you to encourage good heckling when it happens. Take the dollars, you need them to replace the broken bits on your bike.

"Rerriff" - Blazing Saddles

"Why so serious?"- Joker

Robin

Thank you for screaming my name during both races. Hearing familiar voices and shouts during your race can sometimes make all the difference. I needed that...both days.

Now that I've done bnd local races I can say that the people can make a crappy venue awesome. And an awesome course is always awesome...regardless of who you are racing.

The Heckler

Saturday - RSC Gloucester Day 2

I woke up feeling great. Had an egg and cheese on a bagel and a medium iced coffee and all of a sudden felt preetttyyy awful. Turns out I dont know how to drink anymore. 4 beers hurts now. I'm sure my minimal water intake didn't help.

I got dressed around 9:30 and started pre-riding after every race. I really wanted to make sure my tire was sealed and the rim wasn't going to detonate. Seemed to be fairing better than my body. Countless waters, Gatorade and Scratch bottles started to turn around my body by about 11:30. With the race at 1:15 things were looking up!

I snagged a 4th row call up again and rolled up to the line feeling much better and even more relaxed than the day before. The whistle blew and I stepped on it! The Gloucester sprint is really something else. Orange gates on both sides up a shallow hill with the first corner being a looping asphalt 180 degree. Two guys go down a few lengths ahead at the start of the corner and I navigate around fine. It looked like I was somewhere top 20 again. Good job me.

POWER!!! The course was a little more mellow than the day before but still allowed near zero recovery and still featured 4 times off the bike per lap. at 6 laps that's a whopping 24 times on and off the bike!

I rode strong and clean and lucked out with grabbing wheels up the gravel false flat. My passes were calculated and I ended with a strong sprint dropping 3 guys but not quite catching the one ahead of me. Zachs dad said he counted 18th for me.

Well, got my email and I FINISHED 12/130!!!!!!

I'm very thrilled with that result.

I was entered in a raffle to win 1 of 4 Sram CX1 groups. I didn't.. :(

Zach's family took us out to dinner before we left town, I had a killer platter of fried scallops. SO GOOD.

Beard Report:
So rich, so majestic, much dust holding potential.

Up next: Night Weasels tonight semi under the lights and possibly in the rain! Heading up to Shrewsbury, Mass tonight then to Amherst for "Cross-cation 2014." Get to ride around the Valley and glue up some mud tires!

THEN! Divine Providence this weekend. Cat 2/3 field, wish me luck.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am impressed & entertained by your enthusiasm. Good luck at Providence. Look forward to your recap of the rest of the week/weekend.

The Heckler

One from Sunday.

2013-14 Kit, New bike, up to date beard, dirt teeth.

kfcKbp7l.jpg

Best heckle from Sunday came from a guy who was calling me Hot Topic. How did he know that's where I shop for my cheap silly riding glasses??

The Heckler

Race 11 - The Night Weasels Cometh - Shrewsbury, MA

Day 1 of Crosscation (all I ever wanted). Zach and I left work around lunch and drove north up 84 to Central Mass. Our race was at 6:30 and out ETA had us around 4:00.

Night Weasels is a bit of a Holy Week party at Ski Ward. The venue itself is a tiny ski mountain (but a ski slop non the less). The course climbs up the terrible rutted grass to the top of the course then twists down before climbing half as high on the next slope of bumpy bad grass. Finally you cross into the third slope which is nested in front of the beer garden with barriers just in front and a rideable blank wood stair set.

The weather Wednesday was on and off rain all day. When we got there the ground was already wet and the drizzle was barely holding off. The Cat 5 race went off at 4:30. Man are those little guys so cute. This may only be my second season but I feel light years forward in my skill.

Luke and I enjoying the Cat 5 race in our murdered out team issue eurotherms.

4Po7Hovl.jpg

The Cat 4/5 race went off next with our teammates Luke and Tyler shredding up the course as it started to mist a little harder. Tyler finished 5/93 riding a single speed. Dope.

The rain began to pick up for my 6:30 start. Staging was done my cross results and being as there was no masters field we were lined up with some pretty fast older guys. I was 4th row or so. The opening sprint launches down a loose gravel road before a looping turn which lead up the big slope. I missed my pedal and got pushed to the tape where I struggled to hold my line.

Every lap the course got wetter and wetter as it also got darker and darker. The lead group was so far ahead it was comical. I worked my way up to the point where I had no one left in sight ahead of me and fought to create a gap which I would grow on the climb and loose again on the down hill. I could have gone for the set of Limus' which were in the car but not glued.

I made huge gaps on the barriers every lap. I came in hot and ran an extra few steps and mounted just before the corner. The crowd sounded impressed with my speed. :D

I ended up in 20/101 overall and 14th for the under 40 guys. Kool. A nemesis of mine was one spot ahead and I had no idea because it was so dark.

CUE THE PARTY - as the ladies 1234 race went off I changed then joined the crowd on the patio for some brews and french fries. They had propane head lamps on so we stayed out screaming our faces off for the ladies then the Elite men. Conditions only got sloppier, as did the crowd.

After the race we headed back to Amherst.

Thursday 10/2 - Cross cation day 2
No hangover but I began to feel a cold coming on. A slice of Antonio's avocado quesodilla and honey mustard chicken pizza was brunch followed by a bacon maple Donut from Glazed.

Vacation.

Zach and I took the tandem from Laughing Dog and rode onto campus to visit the bike coop. Two guys we knew were working so we chilled for a few and enjoyed our old closet of a shop. They painted but a lot of the stenciled portraits were masked before hand. Sounds like they were making money again which was great to hear. Made a celebrity repair.

After it was back to the Dog. I glued my Limus tigers onto my X.9 to major tom wheels from last year. Went smooth. Alloy rims glue up a million times easier than carbon.

Dinner was a burger and fries. Vacation. I did some twilight cross trail riding with Tyler. His headlight guided us 5 miles through the completely dark woods to his house. Simple stupid fun.

Friday was a sleep in day. Cold felt worse. Left Amherst coffee in hand for Providence Day 1 to watch Ty rip the SS race. We chilled at the team tent, pre-rode and enjoyed the venue. Tyler did well finishing 18th and beating a bunch of fast dudes.

Also ran Friday was the Madison. This hour long "tag team" race was a blast to watch. On course at the same time were pros like Tim Johnson all the way down to some Cat 3/4 dudes we know. Coed field, some pain faces, but also many smiles.

Providence Days 2 and 3 to come....

Mountain Bike Mike

As I was reading, I was able to put myself in your shoes... I have to say, sounds like a blast and thanks for the Donut, it was delish!

Great Story!

Top Bottom