The Heckle Report

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
@The Heckler - stupid question, ever wonder how you'd fair if you just said fuck it and tried to see how hard you could go? Just go balls out from the whistle and just keep pushing until you either finish the race or die?
Yeah, uh every race.

kinda

I've only done 5 of these UCI things so far. In summary:

Nittany 1 - so/so start bleed spots like blood letting was in style. Hung 1/2 lap.
Nittany 2 - Solid start, wheel ahead of me lost the train, died trying to reconnect. Fell totally off after 2 laps

KMC - Decent start - was so slow up the run up i moved back a whole group everylap. Forced myself to push up it and legs literally couldn't respond. Hung everywhere else on the course fine for 3/4 of the race until the dark sketchness totally turned me off.

Gloucester 1 - Good start, great 1/2 race smashing, crash, pit, pop, pit, pop, retire to tempo.

Gloucester 2 - 8th row call up, what start, meh.

Basically each one of these races is 'go as hard as you can for as long as you can and hope for the best.' The whole field is so fast that if you don't get to the front there is no chance of riding up to it later. It really is about seeding yourself into the fastest possible group and holding on. People like Jonathan Page can crash, pit, and ride to the podium from DFL (Clevland last weekend). I don't have the power to do that. I make basically just enough to do what I'm doing. I know if I can string together a great start (low 20's) and a good clean race there is no reason I can't finish up in the mid-low 30's. Gloucester 1 was looking really good. I need to create the most possible steady state race for myself for as long as possible.

Back where I am it's also super stop/go. There was a great video in Instagram of the charm city first lap. There was a 180 corner and the front of the field just flows through. Around 15-20 the single line becomes 2, then 3 wide and everyone is late braking and sprinting out. When you're forced to to that 20 times in the first lap fighting to move up every spot it really takes it's toll.

The whole thing is slightly discouraging to deal with mentally. I've never been so under powered for a category and I fear I am kinda reaching the point of diminishing returns training wise. For a working dude I can't ride or recover much more then I am, but there is something kinda exciting about that. At least, exciting and thrilling enough to keep me coming back.

One last note, definitely being forced to push harder for 45th place in UCI then I ever was for 10th in any Cat 3 race.

The Heckler

Hey!!! Looking for some people who would might be interested in working the pits for KÜDÜ this weekend!

Clio is racing at 1:15 and Matt and I are racing at 2:15 both days. If you're going to be standing around anyway and wouldn't mind helping for any of the 6 shifts available please let me know! Your help would be hugely appreciated!!

Payment will be in hugs, profuse amounts of thanktitude and free watts.

There is a slight chance of rain Sunday afternoon but odds are you won't be required to do much more then stand around looking cool holding a carbon bike. You'll probably also get a wristband or lanyard that says 'UCI Pit' or the likes. RAD MERCH!

This would also be a golden chance to hang and chat with Richard Sachs without him having a chance to run away.

Am I making this sound at all enticing?

vlkslvr

Uh. Thats' how every UCI race goes. Seriously. They start soooo fast and don't slow down.

Ummmm - that's how every Cross Race I've done goes. Even in the scrub zone of the 4/5's. LOL

Hey!!! Looking for some people who would might be interested in working the pits for KÜDÜ this weekend!

Am I making this sound at all enticing?

Very enticing! I might be able to help out on Sat but no promises yet - I am racing at 9 and I'll be hanging out afterwards so can likely hang in the pits - maybe a few free watts will stick for Sunday's race.

Last edited:

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@The Heckler - stupid question, ever wonder how you'd fair if you just said fuck it and tried to see how hard you could go? Just go balls out from the whistle and just keep pushing until you either finish the race or die?

You know dam well what happens when you hold the B button down too long

excitebike.gif

The Heckler

HPCX UCI Elite - Saturday
Local internationally sanctioned CX racing birthday bash weekend!

WOO!

I generated zero media this weekend. Luckily @Dominos had the camera! Thank you Allison for supplementing these words with a few really nice shots!

SATURDAY!!

Maureen agreed to come along Saturday. I dragged her out of bed wayyy to early so I could get there wayyy too early to hang out with all of y'all at the MTBNJ team bash tent. yayyyy!

Moe quickly disappeared for one of several walks and I changed, mingles, snacked, pre-rode and enjoyed some excellent weather and company. Holy cow, then two 6' subs showed up. YO!

The rest of KÜDÜ was slated to arrive at 11:30, delayed by a flat tire. At 12:00 I checked my phone and saw a message, and a second later Clio and Matt rode by and holla'd at me. They set up camp and the furthest possible corner of the parking lot.

Some last minute mechanical tasks sent us into a frenzie as we all scrambled to get Clio and her bike to the start for 1:15. She barely made it, and the events had swung my mood from stoked and ready to rip to apathetic or perhaps despondent. Your call.

Stoked my parents and grandma showed up!
IMG_6487.JPG

Half assed a warm up and took the grid for my #43 call up. JOKE TIME!

The joke was USAC. UCI racers first, then call ups for the rest of us. They made it halfway before someone realized the were calling up by last name, not 'random number.' Homie had the wrong list in his hands. They got us all in the grid then moved the front row up 30 feet and re-called us. Either way I was starting in the back.

I got myself into fight mode. Lined up second from the right fence.

GO!

The brutal uphill start hurt as bad as I remember it. Matt chopped my lane just to be a dick (which he admitted to after) then rode away to the right after a runway opened up. I stayed steady up the right. Near the grass transition people were letting off to slot in. I stayed on the sprint and jam mashed myself into the inside and made up A TON of spots!

Man, legs felt primo. @Delish told me to hammer every climb as there would be plenty of free watt down hills to recover. This has been the plan for a few weeks now so I've been getting used to the efforts. With 2 big hill efforts a lap and several other power sections this race was going to tear my legs off.

If only I was a free watt guru.

IMG_6488.JPG

For a couple laps I switched off with Craig of Crossasaurus Awesome. I would sprint him and gap, then he would catch and pass on the DH. Second time through the barriers I hit the bump coming into the corner while grabbing too much brake and washed out. I only lost 1 spot, no harm no foul, bike was fine.

Start of the 3rd lap I was getting tired of the trade off game and pushed my limits on full attack at the S/F hill. He said "see ya soon!" I said "yeah, probably.." I passed Sam O'Keefe. Sick what??

The move stuck and I spent the rest of the race chasing and passing and attacking and gapping.

I wonder how much better I would be doing if I could corner like Craig. I had actually made the joke that we should match my legs to his handling skills. He chuckled and agreed.

Coming by the MTBNJ tent was a treat everylap. Really enjoyed @UtahJoe telling me Adam Craig was closing in on me as well as the general cheers, heckles and overall noise!

IMG_6486.JPG

My mouth was pure cotton from lap 1. Talk about misery for an hour and 7 minutes.

Into the last lap I had 1 or 2 guys on my tail, I saw Matt E on the side of the course as I turned on the the S/F hill to start my bell lap and he called out that I was in 19th.

Time to boogey. I turned my fastest lap of the day and stayed away from the dudes behind me. Took my momentum up the hill saw @seanrunnette for a moment then rolled back down into Maureen's arms. D E D ded.

Ouch. Matt's counting was off by one, BUT I STILL FINISHED 20th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With that I earned my first UCI payday, a whopping 27 bones! If I play my cards right that could be two records.

ALSO! With that I earned 1 PRO CX point and will actually be ranked nationally. Top 90 riders of the USAC Pro CX point standings qualify for nationals, unfortunately I need another 10 points to scrape into that top 90. My name will be at the bottom of the list but still on the list, and for that I'm incredibly proud of this result!

Lap Times
7:31
7:23
7:28
7:31
7:33
7:27
7:28
7:32
7:20

It happened.
https://www.strava.com/activities/759737167

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
that is sweet man. you're really doing it man
and that last photo is photogenic AF. like you aren't even racing.

QUESTION!
So 12 races into the season, what is your opinion on canti/disc?

Last edited:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
It's been a while since I've been able to exercise my voice at that volume, so thank you for giving me a reason.

You looked super solid, young man.

The Heckler

QUESTION!
So 12 races into the season, what is your opinion on canti/disc?
Cantis are still totally fine. When I doubled at Marty's I ripped the SSCX Allcity Natureboy for the first time, the TRP Spyres definitely have more power. I'm talking order of magnitude more power. KMC was still the big telling weekend, full mud, no issues. none.

Those lap times tho.

I can't imagine dropping a minute per lap from my average then doubling the length of the race.

Holy shit. Good race.

And I'm sitting here thinking the same shit about Adam Craig!
6:59
6:35
6:44
6:49
6:54
6:54
6:57
6:59
7:06

What. The. Fuck.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cantis are still totally fine. When I doubled at Marty's I ripped the SSCX Allcity Natureboy for the first time, the TRP Spyres definitely have more power. I'm talking order of magnitude more power. KMC was still the big telling weekend, full mud, no issues. none.

Yes, but you were feeling up mine pretty good.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was saying "AT YOUR SLOW ASS PACE, ADAM WILL BE LAPPING YOU 8 TIMES BEFORE THIS IS OVER"

You looked good out there son, I was impressed....I mean im not going to deny that every time Adam craig drifted over that off camber turn...we were all like

raw

I did get to speak briefly with Mrs. The Heckler....I think she would be a great guest for the podcast.

Top Bottom