The Heckle Report

GLOUCESTAH - 2016 UCI Elite
Ouch. Today hurts. Really really bad. Send new legs, a masseuse and a Temperpedic mattress.

This weekend was pretty amazing despite it's hardships.

FRIDAY!
I changed at work into my kit and did my openers from the lot. This week was done off road, I haven't handled on grass in a while. HRM wouldn't connect. Dead battery? Can't be. Just replaced that maybe 6 months ago. Drove up to Morristown, supplied up at Marty's and hit Longfellows for a tuna sub. MISS LONGFELLOWS!
IMG_6125.JPG

#raceweight
IMG_6124.JPG

Drove up to Mendon, MA to crash at my buddy's place. Ended up being 4:30 to there. Met his new dog named Doug. Doug is a rescue and former racing greyhound. Doug has an ass. Doug's ass might be bigger than mine. Have you ever seen a dog with glutes? Friday was a first for me.

Saturday morning was oatmeal and coffee chills with Jack, Amanda and Doug the dog. I had peanut butter, almonds and pear in my oatmeal. Don't know how I felt about the pear.

Another 1:30 to Gloucester with an arrival at 11:00AM. Crew was there and camp was set. Matt scooped a primo location somehow right at the top corner across from the finish line officials. The crossing was right next to us to the infield/fair area.

Nutrition. I... need to think about getting my shit on the rails a little better. I've been getting cocky. Eating everything. Nothing good. Back a couple years ago the sausage guy sold out by the time I was done racing. Last year I decided I would get one 3 hours before and would eat half before my race and half after. This year I planned to do the same. Around 12:30 I happily paid my $7 and received my sausage. Peppers, onions brown mustard, great hoagie roll.

I'm in full kit. Not skinsuit but bib, jersey and euro-shell. I suddenly become immensely self conscious because I think someone is going to see me eating a sausage pre race and judge me. So I do the only logical thing - I hide in the bushes by the podium gazebo and eat my secret sausage sandwich. Possibly a new low point of my life.

IMG_6127.JPG

But god damn was it delicious. I was relieved when Matt showed up 30 minutes later with his own sausage sandwich. He said "I saw Durrin eating one." Totally justified my indulgence.

Actually got a pretty decent call up. 44/73 - midpack-ish - 5th row.
IMG_6126.JPG

Pre-rode a bunch. The course changes so damn fast at Stage Fort. By the time it was elite race time every single corner was blown out and a dusty mess. I should say every corner was either loose dust, marbles, or marbles on dust. Rough conditions, not my strong suit.

I line up feeling pretty good, nervous but my head is totally in the game. GO! I make a strong sprint and slot in in the mid 20's. SIIICK! Pace is hot but I'm riding with a strong group and barely getting passed. I find Matt and we ride together for basically the first half of the race. I was mostly only struggling on the tight grass infield and this one left right dust acorn corner which has been the bane of my existence for 4 years now. Power is there, legs are on, HR is, well who actually knows, probably through the roof but NO HRM. Maybe I was actually just dead.

IMG_6393.JPG

I had a group of 4 or 5 friends in the beer garden. Every time through was NUTS! SO LOUD, SO MUCH SUPPORT, so much love! On my 5th lap I was sitting strong in about 28 or 29. Through the dusty beer garden off cambers I took a shit line, grabbed too much brake and washed out. I rolled, grabbed my bike by the seat stay as it bounced off the ground, spun, kept forward momentum and only lost 1 spot and 5 bike lengths to Matt. BUT MY HOOD WAS TURNED IN, and my shifting was off. Praise the baby jesus, I was only one straight away from the pit.

I get in and Cesar has Matt's bike in hand, he makes quick moves and has mine out in just a few seconds. I drop my A bike on the rack and rip out on the B. I do all of my training on the B so I felt right at home, but damn was that front brake an on-off switch! Almost killed myself in a few corners. I go out with vengeance and am fighting to get spots back. Maybe a little too hard.

Second time by the pit that lap Cesar called that my A bike is already fixed. I wanted back on the A. I do my first fell speed bike handoff. DIRTY SIDE BABY! I get a cheer for the goofy foot bike swap and get back on the gas. Feels good to be back on the A-bike rocket ship.

IMG_6394.JPG

With 3 to go I start tasting sausage. O god. Shouldn't have eaten the whole thing. Half was the magic ticket I think.

Also totally realize the race isn't any slower 15 spots back from where I was. It's the same fucking pace, and I burned a ton of matches leaving the pit with the dial turned to 11. I come through and see 2 to go. I start thinking about tomorrow and how well I rode the first half of the race. I think I can either fight to stay lead lap or take it easy and get pulled, recover and hit it hard again tomorrow. I take that 2 to go lap easier and am only riding to hold my position.

That last half lap I'm listening to the announcers calling the front of the race. Curtis White is off the front and it sounds like he's riding a spot I was just on. I turn a 180 and see him two straights behind me. WOAH MAN! Okay. Gonna get pulled. Cool. I'm done.

I hit the s/f pavment climb and the UCI official yells "GO FASTER!!!" as I come by. Funny, that's not a "you're done."

The metal fencing is LINED with fans waiting to see the finish. There is a row of photographers out just passed the finish. I come through with a stupid fake post up, high 5 a photographer and again, NO ONE TELLS ME TO STOP. 8 seconds or so behind me the race ends for the winner and I go out for one last lap!

As everyone is running to the s/f my friends are running back to the beer garden. Lap 9 is a total tempo lap and I enjoy yelling at everyone and everything on and around course. One last time through the ghost town beer garden with only my crew screaming like maniacs and a post up for the lead lap Lanterne Rouge - 45th/68

Lap times
7:49
7:12
7:20
7:24
7:47
7:34
7:41
7:59
8:14

Despite the data my moving time was 1:08:57, not 1:02
https://www.strava.com/activities/745798890

I was actually super high energy post race despite the crash and having pitted twice. I was riding really well for half the race which is huge progress from Nittany and KMC where moved backwards faster then the French in WWII. Very happy, and stoke is HIGH!

Dinner got a little silly... Supreme 3 way roast beef and small fry.
IMG_6148.JPG

Actually, I'm fine with dinner. It's dessert that actually got silly. This small was probably 1/2 a pint, but damn was it good.
IMG_6150.JPG

Crashed at Gloucester Inn by the Sea with Matt and Clio. I was on the air mattress, horrible, horrible sleep.

Saturday rool'd. My friends rool, grateful for the amazing support from my team and feeling lucky I get to do this bike racing thing. Stay tuned for a similar but different story about Sunday.

Last edited:
which is huge progress from Nittany and KMC where moved backwards faster then the French in WWII.
if you want to get better, you need to be a little more realistic about yourself and your performance...French in WWII fast? come now. Lets say British at Dunkirk.

Man you do look pro though.

A few people texted me in the past 24hrs to tell me about how my buddy adam craig was out there spanking everyone while riding wheelies?

Man, you eat like a garbage truck.

it's almost like your begging to get beat up for it.

Love the closet sausage lover part of the story the best... HAHA

The best thing about being pulled before the last lap (other than that feeling of being put out of your misery) is having THE BEST vantage point to watch the leaders sprint out the finish. Almost as good as making the lead lap. Chapeau!

GLOUCESTAH - 2016 UCI Elite - Sunday by the Sea
Such bad sleep. I think I'm going to try and find an egg crate for my air mattress. Haven't adjusted to well to it yet. I think a little plushness might help the feelings on my kneecaps.

I 'slept in' (read laid on my air mattress) until 9 and then had a most primo breakfast at Zeke's Place. The 20 minute wait was totally worth it. We team blanketed and watched the road worlds finish on Matt's phone. The staff brought out coffee too!
IMG_6355.JPG

I had the #3 - Chocolate chip pancakes, 2 eggs scrambled, bacon, and home fries. SO GOOD. If in Gloucester/Rockport have breakfast at Zeke's Place.

IMG_6360.JPG

We got to the venue around 11ish and started the routines. My bikes were in order until about 1:45 when Matt stole the baby limus wheels off my B bike for his A. I couldn't find another back wheel so I decided I would just use Clio's pit bike. LAY-Z.

Lunch was some Lebanese Vegi flat bread thing. Tasty but way over priced at $11. After sausage-pocalypse I was looking for something more mild, though the sauce had a strong flavor to it that I tasted for a while. Woof. I wanted pizza but the pizza vendor wasn't there.

Oh man, I had at least 4 coffees on Sunday, maybe 5. Including this Atomic Roasters nitro cold brew. This was a A+ 10/10 cup of java. And totally looked like a beer.

IMG_6368.JPG

I was rolling deep Sunday. The original core group of LDBCX/Theorem Racing guys all were present. Luke, Ty, Andrew V, Chris, Andrew T and a few bike coop dudes, Timmy, Jason + Alex were all out. AND THEN ZACH, Dan and Mandi showed just before race time too! Haven't seen Zach in a month so it was really really really great to get to spend some time with him and have him yelling at me. He just got back on the bike this last week, planning on late season party comeback of sorts.

WARM UP!
What warm up? Matt was debating starting and took my trainer skewer with his wheels and I was having the "what's the point woes." 8th row call up of 9 +2 in the 10th. Basically last row. Ugh. Finally dragged my ass out of the tent and rode the road for 15 including my super secret climb that I used last year. I got back down to staging and hopped into the parade of really fast dudes riding a giant parking lot circle. I slotted in behind Sam O'Keefe and made a comment "I'm going to ride behind you now because I'll never be this close to you during a race." He laughed and dropped back and we chatted for a few lot laps. I told him I felt like a guppy swimming in a school of sharks. Also warranted a chuckle.

That's really how I felt Sunday. I was feeling tired. Not ready to fight. A far way from the stoke wave I rode in on Saturday. No JPow or Hyde but JPow got totally blasted the day before so who cares where he was.

GGGGOOOOO!
I was seriously surprised when I started moving forward right after the whistle. It's not like cat 3 or 4/5 where you stand with your foot down waiting for the people ahead of you to go. EVERYONE moves forward like they are tied to one another. So impressive. Everyone is trying to move up. And there I am. Just kind of barely existing at the back. The sprint was uphill and LONG before the first corner. I look back before setting up and there is only 3 guys behind me. I make a few moves in the first 2 corners which get me up a bunch of spots and mentally turn on for some hard efforts right after that. RACE TIME.

IMG_6396.JPG

Sunday hurt. It always hurt but hurting out of the right head space makes it extra difficult. I rode with Andrew "dropper post" Lints for 3 laps along with a couple other dudes and he seemingly pretty out of shape. He would crush the tech and recover the straights and even grass corners. I told him to ride the run up stairs lap 3 and he said, "I dunno man, I didn't do it preriding!" To which I said "You got it!" Home-dawg did it and got the crowd by the top screamin! I yelled back "I taught him that!" As I ran with my bike and he pedaled away. I was actually planning on passing him right after that until he put 8 bikes on me.

IMG_6404.JPG

I kept moving up where I could but was also getting passed by other riders. Every lap through the beer garden was NUTZ! My friends were going BAZURK for me as I suffered through the scrub zone. It really kept me going every time through.

IMG_6400.JPG

Why yes, I was in my MTBNJ Sunday's best.^^^

I came through for bell lap riding near two other guys. I was struggling through some of the blown out corners but I really needed to beat these guys. Jacob's words of "win your group," were echoing in my head. I made my passes before the beer garden and stayed on the attack. I was having no problem sprinting out of corners, it was like that energy was there but the V02 efforts were killing me as opposed to saturday where I felt great in my mid-high tier zone. I really put in big dents in the quick ups.

I've noticed I'm still losing ground on run ups, specifically I'm not mounting and getting on the power fast enough. Something to work on but I was losing wheels on that and fighting too hard to chase after almost every lap at 2 different spots. At least I look put together?

IMG_6402.JPG

I finished alone with the 6 shooter post up as my friends went nuts at the side. I rode that high for a minute but then joined the pile of agony with the rest of the scrub zone.

So much dust, so much suffering. Shout out to Eric Baumann who took all of the un watermarked photos of me!
IMG_6405.JPG

I was a bit of a disaster for a few but with a little help from my friends I packed up my gear and managed to change. We headed over to a brew pub across the harbor for family dinner. All of the core 2013 original LDBCX/Theorem crew which were all heavily responsible for the shit show party jammer that was my hook of a first CX season were at this table. If I were to get this crew and the MTBNJCX gang in one spot my fucking world might explode. ~Stoke overload~
IMG_6399.JPG

Who likes fried fish?!!? I do.
IMG_6391.JPG

Left at 6:58, got home 11:27PM, hit the pillow 11:58 - 6:00AM alarm. Hangover is gone today, way better then KMC weekend.

good read, scary how strong you have gotten. whats funny is based on the photos you do not look emaciated anymore!

Man, I had a hard time getting past that coffee. I'm going to start bringing cold brew to races. :popcorn:

you're a big star in the first minute of this video so far:

Cameos by @keithgarrison and Andrew R of Jalapeno/Vonhof fame (is he on the board?)

Nicely captures the mayhem that is the srub zone of a massive UCI field. There's a palpable feeling one has in these races when one is near the back of the pack that your are not so much racing towards something as you are fleeing from something, like a bear or a tiger or a velociraptor.

YEAH, UNTIL I DUSTED HIM AT THE STAIRS! lol...

Fun fact, apparently you aren't supposed to race with a camera in UCI. Dudes snuck them in and put them on once in the grid this weekend.
I thought they changed the camera rules this past year?
Either way, you look very pro.

Back
Top Bottom