The Heckle Report

TOWN HALL WEEKEND PREVIEW

Super short preview. Not much to say but I'm predicted 11th and am basically praying to hold on for top 15, but there are some fast dudes behind me. One thing that's a bummer is cross result points tend to pay shit to A race *scrub zone* dudes. My example isn't the best but I scored 330 points for my barely on the lead lap UCI race last Saturday at Nittany and the winner of the 3/4 scored 309. As I understand USAC points do a better job of reflecting class differences in point generation but no promoter uses USAC points that I know of for staging.

Of course this really only matters for the KMC 2/3 and for trying to "beat" my prediction. I'm holding on to some low 'B' and 'SS' scores which has me point doped in this new class. I'll be dropping a 270 tomorrow and really would like to score something sub 300 for next Saturday but that's going to be a tough ticket down these ways.

upload_2016-9-23_9-14-3.png

In other news I rebuilt the bike I was given as my pit bike. It will be serving double duty as pit bike / training bike and is set up as a double. Shown here with the single most important tool I own, THE DAG.

IMG_5992.JPG

The 'A' bike is set up 1x now with an XT RD w/ tinpin adapter and Wolftooth dropstop ring. I'm going to do my openers on that bike to make sure it's good to go for tomorrow!

ALSO
I made an index in the first post of this thread linking to each race recap over the last 2 seasons in addition to a few other posts of interest. This is mostly for me but hell, now everything is organized! Going through page by page and recap by recap was enlightening. I saw a lot of stuff that worked great, and some stuff which was a tap out "lets get this done" post. It seems like post quality is directly related to my stoke/energy level both before and after the races. The good stuff I thought about during that day. I'll see if I can spice things up a bit this year.

mirin' that 200's cross score

so many "normal human" big dogs at that race, seems like some good competition for sure.

along with your thread updates, can you share your best heckles at each event? appreciate it.

i organized all my things too, so much easier to search and LOL at things from 2009.

KMC front row call-up fort he 2/3 race was super helpful for me last year..such a big field. Also a bunch of Elite Juniors not quite old enough to race UCI so the starts are hottt and sketchy. The kid who won on day 1 was like 17.

Masters 35+ is pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for crossresults points so racing in mixed with Masters will help lower the average of the group. Tough field by my personal crystal ball says 7th place for you. Good luck. Make sure you've got the gearing for the hill.

KMC front row call-up fort he 2/3 race was super helpful for me last year..such a big field. Also a bunch of Elite Juniors not quite old enough to race UCI so the starts are hottt and sketchy. The kid who won on day 1 was like 17.

Masters 35+ is pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for crossresults points so racing in mixed with Masters will help lower the average of the group. Tough field by my personal crystal ball says 7th place for you. Good luck. Make sure you've got the gearing for the hill.
Is 40-32 going to be enough you think? Ergh, I knew I should have left that bike a double for the weekend. Though I do have a second bike that's still a double.

40-32 is slightly lower than 36-28 if I used the Sheldon Brown converter-ma-gig correctly...
40-32=2.5
36-28=2.6

Is 40-32 going to be enough you think? Ergh, I knew I should have left that bike a double for the weekend. Though I do have a second bike that's still a double.

That should be plenty. It's been a few years since I did that race but I think I was on a 42 front with at most 28 on the back. It sucked but I never had to run.

Are you planning to keep the 40t on for the season? I keep trying to figure out whether i need to put on a 42t or if 40t is enough (11/32 or 11/28 out back). First year on a 1x for me since 2010

That should be plenty. It's been a few years since I did that race but I think I was on a 42 front with at most 28 on the back. It sucked but I never had to run.

Are you planning to keep the 40t on for the season? I keep trying to figure out whether i need to put on a 42t or if 40t is enough (11/32 or 11/28 out back). First year on a 1x for me since 2010

First year 1x for me ever. Matt has been running the 40T and it seems to have been plenty for Riverfront (flat/fast) and Nittany (also flat/fast). I feel like an 11-30 might be money but that's just by thought. I spent most of my time in the 44 last year and dealt fine with an 11- 28 though it's hard to exactly recall when and on what courses I used the little ring to bail myself out.

My original plan was to have an 11-28 and 11-32 handy. I've always had two cassettes anyway.

Oh man, so many feels. This is when the new term for suck was born right?

No, that was Nittany the following year when he was hanging in the pit with @graveyardman67.

Admit it, you love the gloves I'm wearing. I mean that's like Lou-level baller. The only thing more awesome would be if I had my bowling ball in hand.

No, that was Nittany the following year when he was hanging in the pit with @graveyardman67.

Admit it, you love the gloves I'm wearing. I mean that's like Lou-level baller. The only thing more awesome would be if I had my bowling ball in hand.
NITTANY 2013!

Also, I've never noticed the gloves. Now I cant NOT LOOK AT THE GLOVES.

Town Hall CX - Bethlehem PA
YO! I'm too stoked to type the set up so here's the sauce up front. I finished 4th in the 1/2/3 and not only kicked the shit out of race predictor but also bested the @Delish predictor (arguably a more relevant race predictor).

THE LEAD UP
Openerz! For real this year. Not just me BSing with Zach making stupid (yet still amusing to me) insta-vidz. My damn PM wouldn't sync with my Garmin which always leads to me getting agrivated for no reason. Openerz were uneventful. No one called me any names.

Friday was date night with Maureen, we deferred our midweek pizza date due to all the bonus hours required from a first year teacher in her first month of teaching. Destination: Village Trattoria in Summit for 'za -> Magic Fountain for 'scream. I "sure know how to nutrition." The Trat makes a calamari pizza which happens to be my favorite bite size food baked on top of my favorite hand held food. It's not there every time but praise the baby Jesus because THIS DAY IT WAS. Also got a mean g'ma slice.

IMG_5995.JPG

Small cookies and cream with sprinkles, of course. Pretty good sprinkles but the yellow is a little undersaturated. If the yellow had a little more pop I'd say there were an A-, but we'll settle for a B+
IMG_5997.JPG

Saturday morning was a little more hectic than I normally like my mornings. I had to swap wheels and set up my brakes to the narrower rims on top of packing my bag. Totally fucked up and left was too early and I think ended up getting to the venue around 10am for a 2:30 race. HAH

B-Fast 1, 2 and 2.5. #2 was a Ham egg and cheese on an english muffin. Guess what concoction is in #1.
IMG_5999.JPG

IMG_6004.JPG

My bladder is a bit of an asshole. Or, perhaps I'm an asshole for drinking 2 coffees and a ton of water then sitting in a car. I'm timed to almost pee myself 3 miles before the PA welcoming center on 78. Luckily I won't be headed that way for a race the rest of the year so I can't push my luck any more then the last 3 times this week and last.

Let me set the stage a little while I set the stage. Generally feeling pretty drained after last weekend's trampling. Music mood is full album vs. shuffle and I settle on Sufjan Stevens' album Carrie & Lowell which is borderline miserably depressing. No percussion but very soft and beautiful. Totally woed me out enough to calm the nerves generated from Nittany. Second was Grizzly Bear's Veckatimest. Another mellower vibe but more powerful full sound. G-bear rules.

So - arrive 10ish. First time to the venue. Live music? Rad! Heard 3 different versions of 7 nation army. My favorite was the one done by a trio of girls with the singing part played on sax. Excellent arrangement.
IMG_6006.JPG

Grab my number and change. Damn.. That disappointing look when the drapes..
IMG_6007.JPG

Don't match the carpet.
IMG_6008.JPG

The good news is it was 65 and cloudy and I packed my skin suit.

I probably did 7-8 pre-ride laps. Tooled around a bunch during the races, caught up with a few buddies. Saw @jShort for a hot sec right after he finished. Homie was NOT stoked on the hill. This race was mostly a PA/Philly scene but I knew a few peeps. #1 dood was Sean Burger. Another one of those people I met in year 1 that set the stoke stage for the rest of my CX run to date. Sean just got his Cat 1 road upgrade after missing a month for an appendicitis. YO!

OH! I LOST MY PHONE! I finished a lap or 2, bummed around and went to check the time - GONE. Not in the car... BUT REG! It was there. And in 1 piece. Must have ejected from my pocket while hitting the barriers. So lucky, thanks for being a generally solid honest community CX!

The course was really rad. So much fun! The laps seemed to be really short. An uphill start, a couple corners, chicane in front of the stage, ditch dip, over the mini logs, up the gravel climb - stay in the center, the deep stuff is slow. Fast right, tough left, really work the speed and entry angle to make the best of it. Right left right complex strung in a row then up hill part one ~300 watts just turning over the cranks a moment of relief then part 2 over a couple 4x4 railroad ties. Right left right FAST downhill - don't brake! GAH i have to. FAST open right hander - work that line trust your tires stay off those brakes! so hard! maybe just a little? High line on the off camber, scrub speed before the corner - 180 right hander through a dip and gravel on the exit. 180 left NO BRAKES, open 90 right downhill to up 180 right. Scrub speed and coast dat U - took time to dial that one. Quick hard uphill effort open left, 180 U turn into the barriers - major disadvantage on the drive side. Awkward at best. Quick remount, another 180 U turn to the right. Much faster corner then the previous, more grass, more traction wider entry/exit. MOAR SPEED!!! Quick hard effort, open left to tight left - no brakes get dat lean on! transfer weight open right - pass the pits Fast 180 U left, U right, trust those tires. Open left to tricky off camber long left 180. Scrub speed early, outside to high inside line carries the most speed with control. open right chokes down between the trees tough open 180 left U, hard to make the best of it. Outside to outside - push the tape if you need to. Open right - 180 U right brake LATE pushing outside of the brake ruts, coast the U push the tape outside on the exit if you need. Open left choking down to a 90 left, fast no brakes. DON'T RECOVER - POWER down hill, open right, tight but fast left, brake late thread the line between the two divots, loose left, QUICK weight transfer - FORCE that front end to the inside over the dirt mound aim at the traveled line in the dirt/gravel patch - KEEP THAT POWER ON - start the turn in the gravel - surf the bike and trust it will catch in the grass, FAST open 90 right, brake early 90 right, quick 180 left no brakes - carry that speed, wide 180 U right, tempo effort to the tree corner, quick fast Left-right combo. TOUGH Open right 180 U - down then back up a bank. Brake HARD, stay left force the bike back up the right and exit aiming at the stake on the inside left. Such a tough corner - just scrub the speed way more then you think you should and you can accelerate up the hill instead of doing something like jamming yourself into a stake or blowing tape. Fast right off camber - tough to do brakeless - scrub speed early. Quick effort uphill fast left - slight right onto gravel - pick a rut and eyes on the exit. Loose left corner - easy does it - don't crash here. Rutty corner complex to TOUGH right over mixed surface and gravel in the exit, loose left open right to start/finish.

~7:00 laps at race pace.

Man, in the words of @Delish this course was a lesson in free watts. So many 180 U turns all about carrying that speed. Also a lesson in bury yourself uphill.

Staged 2nd row went out somewhere in the middle. Missed the split with @mbruno 's group. Made a couple passes and all of a sudden Sean passes me. I hop on his wheel and stay there for half the race. I watch his line on the 180 where you need to dump all of your speed and ride left - right he was going to quick and had to do a lot of bike fighting to make it work at all- I coach him on my line from behind. Next lap dude ace's it and thanks me. Maybe I'm doing this racing thing wrong?

IMG_6024.JPG

We trade spots a few times and are trying to work together to reel in Matt's group. Sean digs for a lap trying to really drop me and makes space which I reel back in the 2nd half of the lap.
IMG_6022.JPG

Feeling really good. What?! I come around Sean and put in an effort, he's falling back a little and I notice I'm catching Matt's group. The last 3 laps they go from 3 on a train to slowly breaking apart. Or course Matt is totally shattering these two other dudes. I catch the first guy and put an effort in passing him up the gravel on the last lap. I pass the second dude as he's running shouldering his bike JUST after the gravel climb.

DOUBLEE!!!!!

G rides my wheel up the hill and I put in a 110% effort. We hit the second part and he's coming up on my right. In a total accidental act I bobbled the second 4x4 and pinched him off before he could more then half wheel me. I apologize as that's really not how I wanted to race him and decide I better just try and bury myself to keep him behind me.

The shouldering dude is riding again and I can hear a derailleur in his spokes. Ouch. We come through the final cornering complex and G is on my wheel, I come a little wide and wiggly into the spring but put my head down and force out every last watt I have.

6th says mom? 4th says Matt B - 4TH SAYS RESULTS!

WWWHHHAAATTTTTT!!!?!?!?!?

IMG_6023.JPG

Met Moe, @rsinger814, and Keb at the Oktoberfest in chester. More on that last. For now, I'm gonna surf some stoke and ingest some more of that 2300 cal ride from today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/723659706

Current vibes - Broken Social Scene S/T - mellow but up and rad autumn energy.

EDIT:
Strava Lap Times
6:54
6:59
6:55
7:06
7:07
7:07
7:04
6:54

Last edited:
KMC WEEKEND PREVIEW
DAMN! I feel like I got a full on bitch slap from the seasons. Not in a bad way, but Autumn totally stepped in this week yelled "HELLO, YES? THIS IS AUTUMN!" then sucker punched me square in the nose.

Totally under dressed for my ride last night. It was a knee/arm warmer kinda day and homeslice was totally dressed for August. I did bring my rain shell which helped, until it was too warm 5 minutes in.

Also got completely light fucked. Forgot my blinkies and was doing hill repeats on school house at 7:00PM. With the overcast and tree coverage it was basically midnight. Luckily I rode patriots path back to town. I've been driving to Morristown or Madison 1-2 times a week to ride. Schoolhouse is the only 5+ minute climb and I can be on the bike 20 minutes sooner.

Generally pumped about the weather, I just need to remember to dress right and PACK MY DAMN LIGHTS!

ONWARD TO KMC!!!
This weekend is gonna be LITTTTTTTTTT! Packing up the Subie and heading up to Putnam CT with @rsinger814 for two excellent days of racing at KMC a.k.a. not providence providence, a.k.a. The race formally known as providence a.k.a. Divine not providence.

SATURDAY 2/3 RACE PREDICTOR

Currently holding on to my 3rd row call up. I believe the points are in for Midnight Ride of CX so fingers crossed I'll still hold on to that one.
upload_2016-9-29_12-49-14.png

SUNDAY UCI ELITE
What? I don't, how, where.. Oh Jesus Christ.
upload_2016-9-29_12-51-44.png

and a few more really fucking fast dudes lead us to...
upload_2016-9-29_12-52-10.png

of 66 racers.

Sunday will be staged by UCI points and then random lottery. There is a chance I could get another golden ticket, though again, it would be horribly wasted on me. Here's maybe not getting lapped by JPOW!

OH! And Sunday's race is at 6:30PM UNDER THE LIGHTS.

The biggest struggle is going to be managing my entire day leading up to a 6:30PM start. Food, pre-riding, meandering. I CAN'T SIT STILL.

SUNDAY UCI ELITE
View attachment 41668
and a few more really fucking fast dudes lead us to...
View attachment 41669
of 66 racers.

Sunday will be staged by UCI points and then random lottery. There is a chance I could get another golden ticket, though again, it would be horribly wasted on me. Here's maybe not getting lapped by JPOW!

OH! And Sunday's race is at 6:30PM UNDER THE LIGHTS.

The biggest struggle is going to be managing my entire day leading up to a 6:30PM start. Food, pre-riding, meandering. I CAN'T SIT STILL.
kvpaw.gif

Your like legit!! Good luck dude.

Back
Top Bottom