The Heckle Report

no Night Weasels?
Not this year :(

They put the kabosh on holey week and I blew out all of my vacay. I have 1/2 day left which I'm taking for KMC SSCX on that Friday. Basically leave work at 11:15, drive, race. Pretty sad that this means for the first time in my CX career NO CROSS-CATION. So, so sad.

Cross-Cation? A reminder of last year's glory.

The other big misses are (probably) Marty Cross (really unstoked to miss), another Charm miss, and Granogue. I only raced Granogue once but I loved the course and did pretty well. Also, RIP Providence, but stoke is high for Thompson Motor Speedway.

@1sh0t1b33r GOING FOR MY 100th RACE THIS YEAR!
Remember, if you have enough quantity, you will statistically get some quality. Is that true? Sure. https://www.crossresults.com/racer/92360
This is missing one day of Nittany from last year and still trying to figure out if I count SSCXWC'13. I finished lead lap, though there are no results other than Adam Craig won.

Last edited:
man, the only two times i beat you were when you were dumb and raced the SS race before the 3 race, and crashed over the barriers of whirlybird ;)

man, the only two times i beat you were when you were dumb and raced the SS race before the 3 race, and crashed over the barriers of whirlybird ;)
Man, I still think about that race and really wonder if I had enough left to hold of Tim Willis that last lap. He's a watt monster though and probably would have eaten me up.

KÜDÜ Camp 2016
This weekend was SO AWESOME.

The team met up in W.Mass for a couple days of CX splendor. My ride time for the weekend was only 4 hours combined by garmin however we were basically on our bikes for double that.

Clio getting the party started.
IMG_5854.JPG

Started Saturday with some yogurt and granola. We met at Little Oven in Easthampton for coffee and breakfast. Had two hot coffees and pastry. We rolled out for Ed's farm (the location of Cycle-Smart cross camp) for skillz. We worked on dismounts, mounts, barriers and shouldering first. Learned a more refined barrier technique:
1. Unclip coasting foot on approach, move pedal to foot arch.
2. Unclip swing foot, bring over bike.
3. Grab top tube with bike side hand
4. Push into top tube and swing yourself into the run. You actually pendulum yo'self which adds momentum.
5. Two steps into the barrier. I found if I took 3 I would noticeably lose momentum.
6 Sprint out of the second and mount.

Also figured out some slop in my mount, I lift my jump leg a lot instead of trailing it. Wastes energy and time getting back to the pedals.

I've also been playing around with mounting from the normal person side of the bike. WHAT?! Yeah. You read that right. It looks bad and feels worse half the time but it's a work in progress. I'm basically to the point where I can block my brain from stutter stepping and get on the saddle but its a hammer from above, not a slide from the side thigh. I want this tool specifically for run ups with a left hand turn and for weird forced dismounts so I don't have to do the 'behind the bike boogy.'

We then headed down into the woods and seshed some technical turns. The C-S crew built some pretty tough lines with mean off cambers, loos loamy soil and tight threading tree switch backs. It was a great bike control shake down.

Me on the off camber. This line was HARD. You come right down a steep hill. Turning into the rut is really tough. You need a lot of brake modulation. I'm starting to get the brake in the drops thing.
IMG_5870.PNG

Headed out for lunch and had a thanksgiving sandwich. Not the best sandwich I've ever had but the chocolate walnut cookie was pretty off the charts especially for being gluten free. No, I'm not making a lifestyle change but I get intrigued when I see something gluten free and it happens to look good.

Outside the lunch spot. Because 'Merica.
IMG_5872.JPG

Back to the farm for more drills after. Ed popped out and chatted for a few. He own's the place and has a vineyard across the street. Sounds like all of the local talent comes to his place all season to train. He was dropping names like Anthony (Clark) and Jeremy (Powers). Rad.

Ride time Saturday was just under 3 hours, but we were at it for 7.
https://www.strava.com/activities/683046033

711 Slushy stop back in Easthampton!! The sun was relentless on Saturday.
"What's cooler than being cool? ICE COLD!"
IMG_5867.JPG

Shower then met at Northamption Cycle where Scott Y gave us a rundown on bike maintenance. All old news for me but the ladies both learned a lot of good stuff to keep the whips dialed all season.

Sushi for dinner then we hit dessert and got everyone's race schedule in one place. Getting so real!!! I had a massive oat cookie walnut chocolate chunk bar thing that was probably 3"x 5"x 1". Happy place.

Sunday was a later meet at 9 at Little Oven again. I had yogurt/'nola at home then stopped at Noho Coffee for an iced coffee and ham and cheese croissant (because they are the best things on earth) then had two hot coffees and a brownie bit at little oven (YUM).

Headed out to Ed's again. I'm a goon, always and forever.
IMG_5873.JPG

Sunday was another really awesome day. Ellen Noble and Scott Smith came out and gave us about 4 hours of instruction. We hit the sand pit across from Ed's talked about run up momentum techniques and loose corning. Had some really fun corner shred sessions in the sand pits. Matt had sandwiches ready for lunch and we chatted about life and racing, race prep, keeping motivated, overcoming some barriers, how to race in the new Cat and all sorts of other stuff.

We then headed down to the Solar farm and ripped a loop down there. We talked about course breakdown and how to think about where to go hard and recover. Then we seshed some log hops. Got pretty confident getting over a 10 inch log, though my technique is a little shaky at that height. Dialed on the 6" stuff.

IMG_5869.PNG

Those two were super nice and amazing resources.

They split to train then the team went down to a swim spot. My shark bite is still healing so I stayed out of the water an threw rocks.

Weekend was a huge success and now I'm beat to hell. All of my non pedaling muscles are dead, right down to the arches of my feet!

STOKED.

Also figured out some slop in my mount, I lift my jump leg a lot instead of trailing it. Wastes energy and time getting back to the pedals.

I've also been playing around with mounting from the normal person side of the bike. WHAT?! Yeah. You read that right. It looks bad and feels worse half the time but it's a work in progress. I'm basically to the point where I can block my brain from stutter stepping and get on the saddle but its a hammer from above, not a slide from the side thigh. I want this tool specifically for run ups with a left hand turn and for weird forced dismounts so I don't have to do the 'behind the bike boogy.'

Killer stuff. always something to be learned. Being an Ambi-mounter has its advantages.

Myerson and the C-S crew loves: 1. Unclip coasting foot on approach, move pedal to foot arch. It's safer but I don't find it necessary. I think it's a relic from the the old step-through days.

How is it going back to Canti's?

Killer stuff. always something to be learned. Being an Ambi-mounter has its advantages.

Myerson and the C-S crew loves: 1. Unclip coasting foot on approach, move pedal to foot arch. It's safer but I don't find it necessary. I think it's a relic from the the old step-through days.

How is it going back to Canti's?
Going back to canti's? You say that as though I didn't start my career on discs!

They are pretty fine, though we did a few simulated starts through the 'expert' woods section and I ran out of hand strength so I ran out of brakes and blew through the technical hairpin.

I dismounted Matt passed me and I ran, fought for a line and re-passed while everyone was laughing hysterically.

I'm fully planning on getting one of these:
upload_2016-8-22_10-0-4.png

4th Annual 6 Mile CX Social

I've been going down to six mile once in august with Zach since we started racing this CX thing in 2013. Year 1 it was just us, year 2 and 3 @vlkslvr joined us. This year the group size doubles AND NOBODY FLATTED! SIQQQ!!!

Zach came down to haul furniture to the curb and we walked through with our landlord to make sure he didnt see anything big that I would need to fix. With that we got out a little late and showed up 3 minutes before wheels down. AND I FORGOT MY JERSEY. Rad.

Tyler from LDBCX drove up from Philly and Zach-o was in town from his new place in Fall River, MA so we had two out of staters, @rsinger814 on the party brand Macho Man, @MadisonDan provided the vuvuzula and @Delish graced us with his magical sprinkle kit and supremo turning coaching. (@Dominos, you TOTALLY crushed it on the kit design. Seriously, you rule.)

Eric had the hookup with a spare jersey on the condition I buy some MTBNJ socks. YO, I'VE BEEN TRYING TO GET SOME MTBNJ SWAG FOR THREE YEARS. So now I own 2 pairs. Great design, Defeet stuff is solid.

RIDE TIME!
That first field is so much fun. You cold start into some flowey, smooth, fast jumpy pumpy goodness that just absolutely brings out my inner child and has me smiling like a maniac.

The whole out and back is a blur of laughing, hooting and hollering. We pushed pace through some stuff, got pretty brappy, two wheel drifted some stuff then dialed it back a bit. Eric had some great tips which immediately made me turn faster. #1 being elbows out! Though it takes a but ton of thought at this point to keep them up. Also, SO TIRING!

Overall awesome day on the bike.

I didn't sync yet so here is Ryan's file:
https://www.strava.com/activities/689103073

SOME PIX!

Great crew
IMG_5896.JPG

Ty is a car owner for the first time in 3 years or so.
IMG_5890.JPG

Six Mile Legs!
IMG_5892.JPG

Oh, yeah! And then as if the ride wasn't good enough the ice cream stop at LJ's Boardwalk moved the day into another galaxy of awesome.

Call this the 4th Annual 6 Mile CX Social 2nd Annual Ice Cream Social.
IMG_5895.JPG

On a side note my buddy shared this gem yesterday. This is from my first CX race in Monson, MA. Zach doubled up and I began to set the framework to my Heckling.
IMG_5898.JPG

oh man that ice cream spot is fire, mandis moms salon is right across the street. many cones have been crushed

BUT YOU SKIPPED THE RED/WHITE TRAIL :p

Hotsauce and I have slated Granogue as our first CX race ever. I hope not to bring shame to the great state of New Jersey.

Back
Top Bottom