The Heckle Report

That was good, enjoyed it. All on the iPhone again?
Thanks, and you betcha!

Until I get a computer with some balls and learn how to use my DSLR in video mode efficiently I will keep to the phone. I'd like to have some lens control but the damn phone is so easy to use/edit. I may not have ultimate control of much but it gets the point across reasonably well with minimal effort.

You could spend 10x the effort and not make 2x the video. Stick with the phone, it does really well.

We need to discuss your playlist, however...

Thanks, and you betcha!

Until I get a computer with some balls and learn how to use my DSLR in video mode efficiently I will keep to the phone. I'd like to have some lens control but the damn phone is so easy to use/edit. I may not have ultimate control of much but it gets the point across reasonably well with minimal effort.

Keep it to the phone - I'm amazed at the quality of not only the video but the editing. It's amazing to think you can do it all on a handheld piece of plastic.

Can we get a beard update?

A few words on Providence:

Saturday - I woke up to rain. We were all expecting a hurricane but it was just a drizzle. I was offered a fuzzy companion overnight in the form of Mazy the dog. Turns out Mazy snores and doesn't stop cuddling. EVER. Very little sleep was had. I also was bit by a spider. I showed up to the venue a little late and conditions were wet mud moving towards mostly tacky. There were a few corners that I felt warranted mud tires and from what I learned last year when in doubt choose the mud tire.

I didn't exactly use my 3rd row call up to my advantage. My warm up was chillin in the warm swagger wagon with @Delish. The sprint lasted WAYYY longer then I thought it would and I cracked early and bled a lot of spots. I felt pretty overwhelmed that day in the sprint.

Error 1: There was a off camber loose feature that had a high - low line option. I prerode both and liked the high line a little better. The surface was mostly rutted but was challenging at lower speeds. First lap through the guy ahead of me dismounted in traffic and I did the same. As I was stepping out of the rut SOMETHING tripped me up and I fell on both knees and threw my bike in front of me. I felt like a toddler in the dirt. 5 people passed me.

Error 2: I did a bunch of passing work and came up on a guy pretty quick. I asked if I could get by after he botched a couple corners and he said "You're gonna have to work for it!" So I dealt with 3 corners of bad lines and got by him. 3 Corners later I slipped out on a 180 wet corner and him and maybe 6 opther guys passed me again. Stupid mistake. Of course the guy had to drop "HAH, you pass me then go and do that?!" Thanks bud. He rode for a team that I had a few more bad experiences with that weekend.

I finished in 39th/133 which wasn't bad but I knew if I raced clean I should've broken higher up. After my 1st fall I lost a lot of will, and the second really beat me up. Wasted 1.5 laps passing that train of guys. Passing was tough for me Saturday. I wasn't aggressive.

There was also the steepest, longest, most euro run up I've ever done. Twice as long as the CSI run up (or more!). It was pretty brutal, but great fun to heckle later in the day.

Eric Bauman caught me on the last lap and passed with a couple corners to go. I should have fought to stick to his wheel but I gave him 5 bike lengths into the sprint. Which I closed to the line. If I was on his wheel I think I could have won myself a sprint. Eric said after it was the most polite pass he was ever involved in. When he came into the corner I just pulled to the side a little and said "go for it."

Sunday: I was pretty bummed about how Saturday went. I know I have more in me. Conditions were definitely Fango worthy on Sunday and I set the bike up accordingly.

The course was wayyyyyy faster feeling though I left my Garmin at the farm. doh.

I was trying to get a little more amped up to race on sunday. I pre rode 3 times and took some aggresive lines and hot laps. I felt much more confident and 'fighty.' I even warmed up on the trainer a little. It was only maybe 15 minutes but if was enough to open up my legs for the sprint.

4th row on Sunday, shorter sprint but I was on top of it. I fought for position and made some moves after we left the pavement. Not the best start, but MUCH better.

22nd after the prelude. I had a pretty good first couple laps. I managed to move up to about 15th according to a spreadsheet my teammate made, but I bled a few spots the rest of the race to fast guys working their way through the fodder.

My race highlight: After the open 180 degree left hander right by the Cannondale tent possibly the same guy giving me crap on saturday came up on my left as I was setting up wide for a right hander. He yells "ON YOUR LEFT!" right before contact. My bars turn right, I correct left and use an elbow to keep myself upright. WE BOTH GO THROUGH THE TAPE! HOMIE GOES DOWN IN A CRASHING YARD SALE, BUT I'M STILL ON TWO WHEELS!!! I RIDE BACK THROUGH THE TAPE TWO STAKES DOWN AND ONLY LOSE ONE SPOT! I felt the adrenaline rush and was pissed it fired so early. I was hoping to have that one for later. Scott Yarosh came around me a couple corners later as I'm getting my head on straight. I rode his wheel for half a lap until he crashed on the gravel before the ride up.

Some history on Scott: He's a really nice guy that really has the burning NEED to win. Or, at least beat me, specifically. We traded personal victories a few times last year and he really really hates losing to me.

As I watched Scott skid on both hands and a knee I panic-broke around him just missing (good thing I gave him a couple lengths before that corner)

Bro guy homie caught me with 1 to go and said something about checking him. I spoke to my buddy who was working in the Cannondale tent after the race. He was talking to some coaches who also saw the attempted pass and the consensus was that dude shouldn't have done what he did where he did. I did what I needed to do to stay up, and he payed the price for being a d-bag. Sweet! I wish he didn't catch me again though.

In the final 1/4 lap I caught a rider at the barriers. I turned on the Heckler steeze and dirty sided by the guy at warp speed, which was the wrong move because when we turned the corner into the headwind I was pulling. We hit the pavement for a sprint and he passed me with 15 yards to the line. We finished same time but he had clearly beaten me. Not as close as Gloucester.

22nd on Sunday. Much happier with that result.

Holy week was fun but I'm feeling pretty clobbered. I'm taking next weekend off and hopefully going to find some time to get some miles in before HPCX. Recover ride today then maybe a couple of good efforts the next couple days.

woo

Can we get a beard update?

I saw Maureen for the first time in a week yesterday and she said "OH MY GOD, YOUR BEARD!"

So, I guess getting pretty gnar. I need to trim back my stache as I'm getting rogue follicles in my mouth. I combed out the jaw line and its definitely got some extra volume to it.

Races 12 & 13 - HPCX 1 & 2 - Jamesburg, NJ

Saturday
Sleep wasn't the best friday night. I woke up with some back pain which was either due to sleeping in some contorted pretzel position or possibly to carrying that damn pumpkin across town in my chrome bag.

Breakfast was two coffees, a slice of pizza and 3 homemade chocolate chip cookies.

We hit longfellows deli leaving town and I grabbed a turkey sub with lettuce tomato pickles and mayo. Badda-bing.

Got down to the venue at 12:00 just in time to not preride. Caught up with some MTBNJ crew at the tent and ate half my sub while straight chillin on the Team Oishi picnic blanket. It was beautiful in the sun but pretttty chilly when the clouds rolled in. I skipped charm this year and flatted day 2 at nittany so I wasn't expecting much of a call up but with so many southern MAC no shows I drew number 212 and started 2nd row. Zach rolled up next to me and we had a team start.

My warmup was bleak as I was feeling soso on racing after a week off. At the whistle I only half missed my pedal but didn't really lose any ground. Half way up the start hill the front group kinda slowed down and the rest of the sprint quickly flowed in filling every space, even if there was none. At the top corner the inside line got clogged, I made a quick move to the outside which was open and stayed about neutral with my position. First time up the stairs I ran but ended up with my bike on the wrong side of a wheel, missing an opportunity to make some passes.

I don't race dirty. I usually let people by if they come up hard on me. I try not to chop lines but sometimes (frequently) I find myself doing something stupid on accident which ends with me gaining a position and yelling 'sorry!'

In this weeks edition of "Run away train Matt" we find ourselves on the first lap at the top of the hill. I'm maybe sitting 8-10. We come by the off camber by the beer garden for the first time and there is a small clog up, I find my way by on the left, no harm no foul. The clog freed quick and I maybe gained 1 or 2 spots. Coming down to around the tree before the barriers something told me I should aim my bike at the inside since it was WIDE OPEN. SOOOOO I did that, and dismounted before the tree. Que the runaway train!!

I found myself in a position going WAY too hot towards the bottom with my leg already over the bike. I'm squeezing my brakes at full grip with no sense of deceleration. I unclip and hit the ground running accidentally hip checking the front of the group I just recklessly passed. He yells, I apologize, everyone stays on their bikes and now I'm in third behind Perry. Cool, but AT WHAT COST!?!?

Up the start finish hill I sprint and blow by Perry. Hindsight, I should have sat in. After looking at the data I peaked my HR at 193 during that effort which is on the order of 7 BPM more then my hardest max race effort. The rest of the race may have ended up a little better for me if I didn't do that, it took a while to recover from.

The day 1 course was a total bike handlers course. Super loose tight speed check corners littered with acorns and gravel. I really didn't feel good through any of it and it showed when I was caught and passed by 3 dudes, Zach being the last.

Zach came by with maybe 2 to go and jokingly said "BLOCK PEARL FOR ME" to which I responded with "HOLY SHIT, @pearl IS ON HIS WAY TOO!??!" This was by the tennis courts. In the bottom techy corner tree grove I watched Zach seamlessly rip the corners while I struggle bussed through like it was my first day on a cross bike. He caught EE Nick and they gapped my by 20 bike lengths. Up the hill I closed 10 of them, which opened again after the barriers. That damn sweeping right after the loose dirt mound post barriers got me every lap with either a washout near crash or a shitty line.

Nick and zach sprinted for the podium and as I watched from the bottom of the hill. Nick won by a tire! Hell of an effort from both guys!

In the end I finished 5th. I had my parents, Aunt, Cousin, Cousin's wife, brand new second cousin and cousin's friend cheering for me. Henry was the dude with the sign that said "Ride like you have a pair / Never trust a fart" I had a beer with my cheer group then scooped up an 'ABUS' chain lock. PODIUM SWAG!

Food for the rest of the day:
1. I ate half 2 of my turkey sandwich in the lot.
2. I stopped on the Turnpike for a wopper jr. w/ cheese and medium fry
3. I had a medium soft serve vanilla w/ rainbow sprinkles at south street creamery in Motown
4. Wholefoods indian ~1/2 pound modest serving
5. Five halloween oreos at 11:30pm

BED at midnight. All that climbing sparked up my appetite...

Back
Top Bottom