The Heckle Report

Sorry I cut off your head.

We had sushi for dinner also.

When you came with 3 to go and yelled, after you went by the official said, "I think he was one of the guys asking for a shorter race" or something like that.

The whole place heard the "3 LAPS TO GOOOOO?????" high Heckle pitched bitch and moan - Had many people laughing!! Classic!

Nice work out there... you have the most painful looking look on your face when you're pushing hard but the glasses offset the intimidation factor.

in comparison - @pearl expression is stone cold solid poker face. It is soo hard to get him to break from that.

Nice job out there!
20150920-_MG_0812-L.jpg

20150920-_mg_0773-xl-tiltshift-X3.jpg

We asked if we wanted to run a little shorter than 60 minutes. Most of the 11 person field sounded pretty ok with a couple less laps with exception to the man who would win the race. He very strongly insisted we had to race the full hour. The same dude was actually lined up behind me. In my head I saw him making an aggressive pass on the start and me eating it ruining Holy Week for myself so I actually offered to trade with him. He was surprised by my generosity and jumped at the trade. I made fart noises at 1 minute and 30 seconds.

THE WHISTLE - NOT MUMBLE!

Hudson dude ripped away and I jumped out pretty quick behind him with @Delish, and 3 or 4 other guys ahead

Hudson dude had to be Gerry right?! haha i sure hope so

recap was top notch! A+++

After the 3rd messed up corner I finally get by on the outside where I connect with @HeavyMetaLance. I call an inside before a light left and saw the door about to close. I pleaded with him not to shut the door but it was too late. He asks who I was and I say Matt and he lets me through on the next corner. THANK YOU LANCE!!!!!!

I was glad that you let me know who you were. There was a train wreck of a rider out there. He had the power, but NO handling skills. He'd pass me in the power sections, then completely jam me up in the turns. It happened over and over and over again. When you came up behind me, I thought you were that guy, and I was DEFINITELY trying to close the door on you since we were heading into some turns. Once I knew it was you, it was cool. At that point, I was wondering if I was getting lapped!!! lol...

I was glad that you let me know who you were. There was a train wreck of a rider out there. He had the power, but NO handling skills. He'd pass me in the power sections, then completely jam me up in the turns. It happened over and over and over again. When you came up behind me, I thought you were that guy, and I was DEFINITELY trying to close the door on you since we were heading into some turns. Once I knew it was you, it was cool. At that point, I was wondering if I was getting lapped!!! lol...
I think I had to fight around that guy before I connected with you! I'd go to pass and he would sprint me then botch a corner!!! Super frustrating. Thanks again

Great recap. I'm glad you mentioned giving Gerry your front row spot because I was going to if you hadn't. Klassy! For the records, I voted for the full hour too.

We need more people doing these Cat 1/2/3 races so I'm happy to see guys like you and @pearl stepping up.

Great recap. I'm glad you mentioned giving Gerry your front row spot because I was going to if you hadn't. Klassy! For the records, I voted for the full hour too.

We need more people doing these Cat 1/2/3 races so I'm happy to see guys like you and @pearl stepping up.
Now that the race was two days ago I have to say I enjoyed it. I'm a long ways away from being in the mixes but can definitely see myself doing more of these purely as a "push myself, who gives an eff who I beat, how high can I keep my HR for an hour," kinda way.

I actually missed the boat on the Night Weasels B race so I signed up for the 1/2/3. It's only a 50 minute race but it is on the side of a ski hill after dark. Should be interesting fo' sho'.

The date on this event was curious, with 2 very local races both days I'm not sure why they didn't choose to go up against Charm instead. I think the numbers would have been better. On that note, I don't think the elite field will be this small again this year until maybe the last race when people are burned out.

Truth time: as we sit here right now what is at the end of both of your derailleur cables?

The field was how we say, tiny...

Truth time: as we sit here right now what is at the end of both of your derailleur cables?
That's a great question.

Either nothing, or electrical tape and with a trip up the Turnpike it is probably back to nothing! Thanks again for the tape up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Race #7 - Gloucester Day 1

Tough start but I fought back and held on to 11th in the Cat 3 field!

I made a video for the day. I've never done one of these before. It's completely shot and edited on my iPhone. Enjoy!

Video was great! You were missed at Hippocross but that looks like a great event as well. How big were the fields? Looked massive in the video - 11th is very strong.

Congrats

better than good! love the shot with the water in the bg and the cyclists going across the scene....

Race #7 - Gloucester Day 1

Tough start but I fought back and held on to 11th in the Cat 3 field!

I made a video for the day. I've never done one of these before. It's completely shot and edited on my iPhone. Enjoy!

Dude.... Sweet video. You totally captured the vibe of the weekend... Organized chaos!!!!

Harry and I had a great time. Thanks for the hospitality at the Laughing Dog tent. :thumbsup:

Video was great! You were missed at Hippocross but that looks like a great event as well. How big were the fields? Looked massive in the video - 11th is very strong.

Congrats
B field was ~115 people

The A field was close to 100. huge amounts of people

Day 1 started up what was the main entrance the last 2 years. Totally different start with a downhill finish. Even almost a totally new course. They added a narrow run up which made for quite the traffic jam the first lap. My race itself was good. I raced clean, no crashes, no flats. My starting sprint was weak at best and I should have fought up 5 more spots but I went out in the high teens. I was really tired on Saturday. I drove the whole way up and was too stoked to sleep when I got to my buddies Friday night. With 3 to go two team mates from Riverside Cycling connected with me. They passed on a straight and I hopped on a wheel. Then they attacked and caught me low on gas. They gapped me a pit and I never caught back. I made it around a few guys that blew up and a couple technicle but mostly raced alone like I normally do. I finished 10th as of first posting then got bumped out of the money at some point for a final posting of 11th. Not bad.

I was shooting video all day and continued after my race. I went to get a sacred sausage from my favorite vendor and we was sold out. Such a shame. I went right to the beer tent and continued to get pretty post race no food sauced during the woman's elite race.

Luke's mom made a massive pot of chili which ruled, then since everyone was still hungry we set out for roast beef. I guess it's a north shore thing, but they LOVE roast beef sandwiches. We went to some hole in the wall place, I got a Junior Threesome on and onion roll which translates to small roast beef with all the toppings. Also got a 'small' fry which was yat bigger then supersized McDonald. SWEET!

It finished up the video before bed then fought for my spot on MY airmattress with Patches the one eyed cat. Once I finally got him out of the way he decided he would scratch at the couch above my head and clean himself next to my ear THE WHOLE NIGHT.

Cool, who needs sleep anyway.

Race #8 - Gloucester Day 2
The day 2 course was very similar to previous years. We got to the venue in time to watch the 4/5 race where I had some friends and team mates racing. Got to watch Jersey locals @MadisonDan and Herry tear it up!

I was feeling about 70%. Between the race the day before, all the sun, and no sleep for two nights I was stressed about the start. I decided to try and quell my nausea with food. By food I mean half a sausage with the works. It actually really hit the spot and I still had 3 hours to race time. It was hotter on Sunday, I scored a bottle cage and decided I was miserable enough and would race with bottle.

I started my warm up with a 5 minute bubble blowing session. Calmed me right down. I rode up some neighborhood hills alone then made my way down to the start. Totally zen. I can't tell you the last time I was so cool for a start.

I made a pretty decent sprint from my second row start up the hill and was positioned about where I would have liked to have been the day before. Nice.

DbtEuGbl.jpg

I made a few passes then hooked onto a train of two other guys and decided to see what racing with other people was all about. I made a move a lap in putting me in second wheel of that train. Another lap in I attacked up the S/F hill and dropped my group. I actually felt really really good. Tons in the tank, and the water kept me happy.

HAPQCazl.jpg

RM1fFROl.jpg

I fought my way to 9th place with 1 to go. Up the S/F climb for bell lap I sprinted closing 10 lengths and passing my way into 8th. I went full power for as long as possible. I bobbled in the 'Sram Chicanes' which cost me some distance but held my shit together enough. A guy who I had passed 2 laps before did some serious work to catch me just in time to sprint to the line. I got stuck pulling him up the hill. He made his move around me and in full bike thrashing we sprinted neck and neck to the line. I needed to shift for the grade but didn't and ran out of leg. I lost the sprint by a tire but was way to buzzed on the effort to even be upset.

YWhTgxVl.jpg

Such a great way to finish a race. Good enough for 9th place and $30 bucks!

All of these photos are from Saturday. ;)

We packed up, said our goodbyes then hit a fried fish place because Gloucester. I had way too much fried calamari.

I remember saying last year that the course was mediocre. This year I would say it was tremendously fun. Super fast, great technical off camber features, loose, dusty, demanding. Just awesome. I forgot my garmin sunday but I think the Saturday average was around 14.5mph. Pretty damn fast.

The key takeaway from the weekend is that I love my team. They are some of my closest buddies from college and when we are all together no one stops having fun.

Wednesday starts #crosscation2015 with a probable rainy Night Weasels under the light in the A field! Then to amherst for a couple days of shenanigans then Divine Providence. Ironically half a team will be in Jersey probably staying at my apartment for a wedding next weekend. Huge bummer, but still excited for Providence which is also looking wet in the forecast.

I'm stoked to hear that Hippocross went well. I'm excited to watch this event grow. Very impressed with the promoting spearheaded by @HeavyMetaLance and I hope to be in attendance next year!!

Back
Top Bottom