The Heckle Report

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
Thanks!

On another note, I bled my brake yesterday SO THE EPIC IS BACK IN BUSINESS.

Really guys, I ride mountain too!

I also charged my headlight.

:getsome:

The Heckler

what cat you racing at sussex? :popcorn:

do you heckle more or less during mtb rides?

I should really be racing in the 'A' race, but Bruno has 38 points and Spiller has 33 points (not counting his jr. points) The reach goal I set for myself at the start of the season was to win the Cat 3 state race and if I didn't attack that hill at Marty's I actually could have been a guilt free contender.

So I'm having a bit of an ethical debate since I am sandbagging now, but Spiller and Bruno both are also sandbagging with double the points that I have. I should be the bigger man and race the A race.

I am racing the A race at Cheshire the day before Sussex and will finish my season a B for Supercross (2/3/4 field anyway) Baystate and NBX.

I don't heckle during MTB rides but I do tend to be a little rambunctious. I just like destroying berms and partying on the trails..

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
ya, maybe ill just do the A race if the 3 of you are going to shoot it out for the podium

The Heckler

Race 21 - Cheshire CX

I've felt both racing and in general that the energy level the beard is low. Unsure what that means.

SATURDAY(yesterday)
The team met in the middle at Cheshire CX in (surprise) Cheshire, CT! The race is about 60% in the woods 40% grass. It also features heckle hill - "A 80 meter steep but ride-able climb." Heckle hill is the biggest party I've been to at a sanctioned cross race. The whole climb is lined two people deep with beer and dollars all over the place. Hand up heaven.

For the second year I reg'd for the 123 race and unlike last year I wasn't lapped!! I got a couple beer hand-ups and had a good time. Even before the race I wasn't sure if I wanted to race the full hour, my stomach was in a weird place and every time I got my heart rate up I threw up a little in my mouth. Oh, it was also around 38 degrees.

:puke:

With 2 to go the leader was still 1/3 lap from connecting with me, I had a chance to finish on the lead lap. I decided to stay in and try not to get lapped. AND I DID IT!

leadlaphero.

I was dead the rest of the night. I had a killer pork and mashed potatoes dinner and headed home.

NJ State champ race in the morning and I felt like I got hit by school bus filled with a stomach virus.

Went to bed feeling like a 50% chance of racing Sunday.

The Heckler

Race 22 - SCCX - State Championship

People talk a lot about setting goals at the start of the season. I raced most of my season last year as a Cat 4/5. My 2013 goal was podium CSI in Northampton. Accomplished.

When this season rolled around I had no idea where my fitness stood. My 367 internet points were doped from Cat 4/5. From what I saw “stalking competitors” on cross results if a maintained my 360’s in the B’s the following season I would have improved from the previous year.

Goals. What was a reasonable goal? I didn’t think podiums would be a reasonable goal after Nittany, but I did score points in the 340’s! Much improvement! Get down to 320 for the season was my goal after that weekend.

Momentum.

As the season progressed I not only dipped below 340 but I got under 300! I began to think about the NJ State Championship race. The jersey. Was that a reasonable goal? It was a goal, and it was something to fight for.

Sunday.

I was feeling much better when my alarm went off at 8. I drove up to the venue alone not really knowing what to expect from the course. The temperature was cold. I got 4 laps in ahead of time. The field of guys who showed up to fight for the Jersey was really impressive. Spiller, Bruno, Reinmann, Mr. Pearl, Paul Meier just to note a few. Tremendous competition, this was going to be a hell of a race.

Race predictor had me in red. Thanks for the extra pressure internet. NJ points from my Marty CX got me to the front row at the start.

With a blow of the trombone WE WERE OFF! Sort of. I missed my pedal and stuck around for a second while everyone else decided it was race time. Ooops. Up the opening climb I took the high road up by the guard rail, this helped me get somewhere in the middle. A gap was already forming with Spiller and Bruno charging at the front. Our chase group closed most of the gap on the gravel road. I made moves where I could. The best being up the railroad tie stair hill on lap 1. Paul was in front of me on the left, I was trying to get by on the inside (right) but there wasn't really room for me and my bike. I’m generally not one to push people out of the way. It’s the B field, what’s worth being an asshole about? SO, What did I do??

SPIN MOVE!!!!!!!!

WHATTT?!?!?!!? Yes. It’s safe to say I will never top this radness ever, ever again. I lifted my bike up, spun to the left, clearing the tape allowing me to sneak through the narrow window.

The chase continued. There was a group of about 5 of us in the front at the start of lap 2 (or 3?) I crashed in 3rd wheel, Bruno saw, attacked, and him and Spiller put 10 seconds on me.

CHASE CHASE CHASE CHASE CHASE...

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
oh my god i forgot about the spin move, that was so impressive. i can close my eyes and see it again, and again, and again

soulchild

Nice moves buddy! I didn't see the spin move, but I did fully appreciate when you ran to the tape, opened your jacket and proceeded to

Txx191q.gif

I literally LOL'd :D

The Heckler

HOLD YOUR HORSES!!

Photo evidence of the spin move was captured in another (but close) dimension.

uxvIwC0l.jpg

Paul may or may not have been doing trials facing the wrong way.

CRASH

Taking one half step back after reading Misure Pearl's entry he mentions a possible technical for me. The whole crash: I was pushing the corners following Spiller and Bruno coming into a left hand sweeper I dug a little harder then the bike had to grip and slid out on the non drive side. When I looked back to my bike the guy behind me came in and hit my downed bike and also ended up on the ground. I picked up blue bike and swiftly mounted. My first crank was futile as my chain was dropped but I was quickly able to shift it back into place. This was my first dropped chain in 21.5 races this year. What awesome technology can I attribute this run to? Sram 2X10!! Equipped with rubber down technology (usually, hah.......)

10 Second gap.

Victor - Superfly100guy - was by the pits the whole race giving me time splits and pushing me to catch the leaders. Places I was bleeding time was both downhills, the one after the S/F climb and the one after the barriers. I couldn't recover fast enough to pedal as hard down as the other two.

3 or 4 times I used the gravel road to close the gap. It seemed that Matt and Stephen didn't push hard there, neither wanted to spend energy pulling the other. I would stand out of the corner and pedal as hard as I could as long as I could. It worked a few times, but I would then struggle to hold on around the lake.

On and off and on and off the train. It was brutal, I was at their mercy. Pain cave Heckler:

9Qd4qqEl.jpg

Coming around to the line for the bell lap I was again off the train. But wait! They slowed up! A lot? What.. Someone mentioned it seemed like neither one of them wanted to take the lead for that last lap. Either way I sprinted and connected just as they went up the grass. Pace was cool at this point. Bruno was setting the tempo and I could tell he was recovering. Probably for something big. I'm lucky to be back with these guys at this point. Let's see if I have anything left..

Up the pavement I attacked! I get by Spiller then my legs lock just before I get ahead of Bruno. Not much left.... I'm now second wheel over the barriers. On the next downhill Bruno goes down!!!!! I'M IN THE FRONT! We hit the gravel and I pedal hard but not crazy, I think Bruno was already back on the train. Up the stairs, off camber around the lake, stuck pushing wind but I have a chance. I put the power on after the pit. Around the 180 and its full bore. We caught a lapper just before the pavement and the sprint was on!

As I gave every thing left to give Spiller blew by me like I was bolted to the ground. Matt came by on the left, he was more taxed then Stephen but easily edged me out.

3rd.

I'm happy with third. The goal was the Jersey and I definitely wanted it but from the trombone start I was not the fastest guy in the race. I chased my heart out but the guy who won was the guy who deserved it. He was the guy that raced the cleanest race. From the start to the finish Stephen stayed on two wheels, didn't do more work then he had to and had one in the chamber for the sprint. I think a lot on racing "smart" and "clean," rubber side down, getting the good sprint position. Fitness alone can only get you so far. He had it all yesterday. I also want to commend Matt Bruno for his race. I was actually bummed when he went down and I passed. It didn't feel right, I had actually thought "I hope he gets back on quick."

I took the lowest step the podium with two very fast and all around nice guys on the steps above me. I'm happy the race was as exciting as it was. Thank you everyone who cheered for me along the way. Racing and especially chasing hurts like hell but the support cuts through and helps so so much.

D4rPOgTl.jpg

Beard Report:
Tired, beat up, full, warm, happy.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
most excellent!

Congrats on the podium, you earned/deserve it, there is no other way to look at it.

Mountain Bike Mike

Nice work Heckler... I thought the suspense was for the win announcement... Either way, great recap, I love reading these things.

What's next?

The Heckler

What's next is a great question, I have Supercross, Baystate and NBX on the calender but I may need a week or two off.. :(

We will see though.

Top Bottom