The Heckle Report

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My sons first words are going to be:

"CRASH AND BURN YOU BEARDED FREAK!"

Congrats on the double win, i would however stop winning now before you are forced to do something stupid...like move up to A :)

Maybe I'll locate my camel back and baggys and race with you at CXmeir....actually, im only interested in racing if you are heckling, so not sure its worth it if we are in the same class.

vlkslvr

Seems like those days are past you man!

"Cat 3 to 2: Voluntary upgrade with 15 points. Twenty points or two wins if the field had at least 30 competitors is a mandatory upgrade.*"

Looks like you are moving on up!

Should have not bridged back on Sunday and taken that third so you could continue to Sandbag the Cat 3's.

Mountain Bike Mike

Congrats on the double win, i would however stop winning now before you are forced to do something stupid...like move up to A :)

Maybe I'll locate my camel back and baggys and race with you at CXmeir....actually, im only interested in racing if you are heckling, so not sure its worth it if we are in the same class.

I think my kids would get a kick out of Heckler... Muppet...

I agree with you on the Heckling support - Between Pearl, Matt and Sean, I don't think I would enjoy the agony as much without them.

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK

Thanks!

Unfortunately I will not be racing CXmeur... My team's hometown race is also this weekend so I will be in MA at Cycle-Smart.

I've talked to a team mate who is a UCI Cat 2 racer and we more or less determined any local races I should do the A field and any big UCI event ie, CSI, supercross, NBX and Baystate I will still have competition in the 3 fields.

The UCI license is something like $80 bucks and registration goes up $10 just for racing those fields as an 'A'. I would rather get called sandbagger for 3 weeks then hemorrhage more money just to get lapped and pulled. There are a bunch more faster guys up north.

I'm going to upgrade at the end of the season, train hard and attack the 'A's full force next season.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Unfortunately I will not be racing CXmeur...

BooThisMan.gif

mandi

Heckler doesn't want to upgrade to spend money for UCI license, yet wants me to. Ain't that some shit

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
I was standing at the top of the downhill when you went in the tape. Good glue job on dude in front of you's tires. His near miss was textbook tire roll move. Also, impressed with your calmness in untangling the bike!

The Heckler

Should have not bridged back on Sunday and taken that third so you could continue to Sandbag the Cat 3's.

I had that thought before the race and it is the single grossest thing I could have done during that race. Aside from a poop hand-down to a 'lucky' spectator.. But yes.. I know what needs to be done..

Also, impressed with your calmness in untangling the bike!

Thanks! That's actually pretty meaningful to hear. Read? Read.

The Heckler

I don't just go ride my bike very much these days. Most days I get home and grumble, grab the road bike and pick a route I frequently do. This time of the year especially is about quick easy workouts. Now and again I take the MTB out but I need to bleed my front brake so that's sidelined at the moment.

Yesterday for my birthday Zach and I grabbed some jersey pocket beers and set out to explore the trails at Mountain Way by Greystone on cross bikes.

Thanks to the leaves the trail was almost impossible to follow without the help of the blazes. The terrain was super rocky but made for very fun challenge on skinny tires with drop bars. There were couple sections we hiked thanks to a huge slope.

At the top of the hill we found a pretty cool boulder formation perfect for a cold one. The trees are probably peaking right now in this area, or maybe on their way out of peak. Either way the colors were spectacular and everything on the ground was still very bright.

phdTJjnl.jpg

We were short on light and were watching the time closely. On the way out there was a glowing orange at the tree tops that caught my eye across a meadow. The light has been amazing before the sun goes down. I completely forgot what autumn light is like. Truly the golden hour.

qiCxI1Cl.jpg

25 trips around the sun.

The Heckler

Races 19 & 20 – Cycle Smart International

Look Park - Northamption, MA

SATURDAY

This is the big one for the team. Just 25 minutes away from the cozy back alley shop and team namesake, Laughing Dog Bicycles.

eq6HGxEl.jpg

The whole crew reunites for this weekend with friends and family all showing up in swarms.
CSI has a history of being a “grass crit.” The course snakes through the manicured fields of Look Park making use of baseball infields with tight corners to break up long smooth straightaways. The last couple runnings have also included a top wooded section that makes incredible use of terrain features to create slower technical sections. Overall the course is fast and very fun to power through.

The drive up was routine. The car was packed to the max but that’s expected with 4 people, pit wheels, bedding and 2 days of cold weather race gear. Sleep Friday night was limited thanks to a tiny air mattress and too few blankets being shared between Kate and I. The forecast for Saturday called for rain about mid-day. You know, around when my race would be. I got a few pre ride laps in the dry when I heard “rain is on its way!!” over the loud speaker.

I’ve been battling a chronically loose headset on the new bike. I’ve been too lazy to pull everything apart and take a look but Saturday was finally the day. Once I popped the top cap off it was obvious that everything took a compression set after assembly and shake down and the top cap was basically flush with the top of the steer tube. Easy fix only requiring a ~1mm spacer. Well, I didn’t find one of those but I did find a ~1/4mm spacer which was just enough to do the trick. I do now need to take a little off the steerer this week.

The rain came in slow and conditions were really difficult to judge as far as tires selection. I ended up with Griffo rear and Limus front. (Hindsight it was a dual mud tire day. My second row call up turned into a midpack start as I spun my tire for two cranks after missing my pedal. Oooof. New England Cat 3 start sprints make MAC 2/3/4 sprints seem easy. Every time the whistle blows up north I’m greeted with a punishingly fast and moderately terrifying reminder.

Saturday featured a killer steep and loose run up. I couldn’t help but to laugh about every lap as I struggled to hustle to the top. On the first lap I yelled how “Euro” it was. The spectators laughed, my competitors gasped for air. I raced clean and fought my way into the teens staying upright through some very greasy conditions. I managed to connect with a nemesis of mine and only had ¼ lap to attack and put a gap on him. He’s a strong sprinter. I went around the wide 180 right before the barrier approach and put the power on too early. Slipped right out falling on the drive side! While on the ground I noticed my rear shifter paddle laying beneath me. I detonated my shifter! The crowd at the barriers were yelling to get up and run!!

c9LQJZal.jpg

I felt drag in my rear wheel but had to deal with it. Over the barriers I mount, and shift into the little ring up front. My rear shifter was holding on only by the cabels. I finished my race single speed 36/13. This gear was a little harder than I would have liked as I worked through the slow baseball field turns. I sprinted my face off and fended off the guy behind me. I finished 15th/120. Not bad but some better tire choice or smarting riding I may have avoided the cost of a new shifter.

I felt terrible Saturday. The lack of sleep from Friday night was all I could feel. Halfway into the race I was bonking which is very unusual for me. My eyes felt heavy, and my legs were screaming. To top it off my new helmet was squeaking the whole race. On that note I’ve gone FLASH ORANGE!

DkFVs8Hl.jpg

Oh. On the broken shifter. I forgot to mention my number was 13 for the whole weekend. I didn't want to get yelled at so I wore it right side up even after everyone was telling my I had to flip it. The luck continued into Sunday.

p4svg8Al.jpg

To be continued...

The Heckler

I decided last night the beard would continue into winter. There will be no stupid mustache this year, only a burly man beard.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
In the offseason can you change your hobby to indoor flea markets and make a thread, The Haggle Report?

The Heckler

Sunday

Things got a little rowdy after the race Saturday. I felt like garbage, drank a coke and ate a sausage then had a few beers and some sambuca. Needless to say I got almost every elite rider's spirit animal. I think Adam Craig said an elephant, Mike from Cuppow said it was me, Adam Myerson wouldn't reply because he hates heckling, also had monkey, chimp, unicorn and some MIT rider said his computer. Much fun was had in the woods.

Art.
2lH3RQDl.jpg

Saturday night we cooked a killer pasta and vegi team dinner and relaxed. I purchased a Queen air mattress and got a half decent nights rest.

I also cabled up a loaner Apex rear shifter to i could race the next day.

CSI DAY 2

We showed up around 9. Parker (Laughing Dog owner), Brought a wind screen for the tent, a floor tarp, camp stove, chilly, beer AND A PROPANE HEATER!!! Talk about #1 tent on club row. The wind was howling and the temperature had dropped a little.

SaDJ44nl.png

I went to throw on my shoes and pre-ride at 9:40 when I began frantically ripping things out of my Bailey Works. I FORGOT MY SHOES AT THE HOUSE!

Mind you the house was only 30 minutes away and my race was at 12:45. Not all was lost. I drive back to the house in Pelham and figure my shoes would be in one of two places.

Wrong. They were nowhere to be found. Kate and I rip through everything for 20 minutes. No luck. We go to leave, and I'm feeling like someone shot my dog. I start the car, put it in reverse and decide "NO!"

I turned off the car and ran back inside to the room I was sharing with zach and the ladies and notice his air mattress is slightly off the ground. I looked at it 20 minutes before and didn't notice anything odd. Well, there they were. Under the mattress.

BACK TO THE RACE!

I preride and the course features a pretty crazy wall around a tree. Seriously, look at this thing! (ridden left to right) I gave it one effort riding and came around with wayyyy too much momentum and one foot hopped down the hill sideways with my bike between my legs.

Wy3d92Bl.jpg

The rest of the course is similar to the day before with a few tweeks here and there. Overall a fun course. I think they pulled the technical wooded section.

Second row call up again. F/R tires Fango/Griffo, #13 bib, perfect tacky terf. Not a great start, Zach appears next to me from three rows behind and tells me if I learn how to start I could probably be pretty fast. We hit the tree wall feature and it was pretty jam packed. My goofy foot dismount had me downhill from my bike which I think was an advantage. (gold sleeve and blue bike visible running down hill)

nEQoB1Pl.jpg

I gave a hard effort and worked my way up quick and caught Bradford of The Drifters. He and I have split most of our races up to this point so he was good to ride with. We soon connected with the fastest slow rider I know. This guy is always pretty far up in the field. He is a bigger dude and can really motor but every time I'm behind him I know I can be going faster. So you make a move on him he sprints you and shuts the door and slows down again. There is no amount of "Can I pass on you left" or "Please let me by" that will open a door. It's just annoying and I'm not the only one to have experienced this from this exact racer.

Bradford and I finally put some space on the slow fast guy and also on another nemesis David Kozikowski with a couple to go. I put space on Bradford running the tree at the start of the last lap but actually slowed down slightly and wanted him to connect. It took 1/4 lap and in this time David and Slow/Fast's group were gaining. I would have blown up if I stayed alone.

Brad and I switched off and he got ahead before the barriers. We had 10 lengths or so on the group behind us and only 1/4 lap left. We rounded the corner where I crashed yesterday and I attack through the barriers. Brad went left and I had plenty of room to get by. I beat him into the corner and opened up everything I had. We was faster through the baseball field corners to I pushed the straights as hard as I could. I had 5 seconds on Brad and only 6 seconds on the chase group at the finish line. Finished 8th/100 which was good enough for $35!! Nice.

No racing next weekend. Signed up for Marty's Fried Turkey ride on Sunday.

Next up Cheshire CX and Sussex.

Last edited:
Top Bottom