The Guitar Player Thread.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
The METAL. These days I spend most of my days listening to bands like Born of Osiris, Between the Buried and Me, August Burns Red, Suicide Silence, etc...The heavy stuff. Some of the timing and riffage by these guys is pretty hard to get a grip of. These are 2 of my favorite.

Back Burner intro by August Burns Red

And a lick from HAARP Machine's debut album

And if you're in the mood, Rationalist by August Burns Red. The breakdown section of this song with the arpeggios is SICK!!

wonderturtle

I play guitar. But after watching capedocs, mullers, and vreelands videos videos of me playing will not be made public.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
image.jpeg

Seriously tho, nice playing Jim. Great technique. I don't think I have a video of me playing other than from a more than a decade ago... On VHS. Don't play guitar as much as I play bass. 4 strings is about my level. I used to be able to some of the Victor Wooten slappity slap stuff but haven't practiced it in so long I lost it. I can still play most Les Claypool stuff tho. I'll have to post up a video. Upright was more my thing but that was in music school daze.

Sandman98

My friend and I goofing around with some riffs and RATM tunes. Ive been looking for a bass player for a power trio band but no luck and then I stopped looking and spend more time on riding bikes. Nothing serious, i just want to play with other musicians.

Steve Vai

Is there anything that anyone would like to know? Licks or riffs or anything like that? I think between all of us we can get a lot of peeps going.

For today, back to the HEAVY.

Steve Vai

Back to Satriani. Like most of us, he was my intro to instrumental guitar playing. I studied the Surfing with an Alien album and learned most of it, which was hard at the time. I posted one already. Here's an improv Jam using Satch's style. I use a bunch of these licks and phrasing to this day.

rick81721

Lothar
Back to Satriani. Like most of us, he was my intro to instrumental guitar playing. I studied the Surfing with an Alien album and learned most of it, which was hard at the time. I posted one already. Here's an improv Jam using Satch's style. I use a bunch of these licks and phrasing to this day.

Great vid but who's the guy without a beard playing?? ;)

Steve Vai

Any tips for speed @jimvreeland ? I have always had a difficult time coordinating my left and right hands.

At this point I almost exclusively use economy picking when playing fast runs. Basically it's a Legato technique using primarily hammer-ons and pull-offs and sweep picking down like you're sweeping an arpeggio. Watch my right hand in the first 2 videos I posted and you'll see what I mean. I pick like every 3 notes or so. On the lower end of the run I'll palm mute to give the impression that I'm picking everything.

Here's an example that starts with straight alternate picking and then switches to economy.

As far as building alternate picking speed, a metronome and a basic scale shape are your friends. It's repetitive and boring but the payoff is worth it. Spend time working on it each and every time you pick up the guitar. Clean and precise, making sure each note sounds and your hands are in time. Technique first, speed second.

Here's an example of brutally fast alternate picking.

Steve Vai

Let's play a game. Post a track to jam on and let's all try to put something over it. As an example, this is the Backing Track for the funkish jam I posted a couple up. Super easy track to jam over with tons of options...Hit it and post something up.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I'm gonna have to pull all my crap outta the closet now. I got the bug from all this. I'm so impressed with the restraint in Sandmans vid. There's no way I wouldn't scream "come wit it now" and throw my self whole body into the wah riff even in a little room with no one around. Jim, what effect(s) are in line in the settle for nothing lead? I really liked the tone.

Top Bottom