The Grand Ave Project

Holy shit that's awesome! Sounds like you've got a great support system in place, AND you can still ride bikes? Win.
Besides, you can always call in JimN as a backup plan.

Got some more work done on the first floor. Dining room is done, living is partially done at the moment. We were hoping the chimney was untouched but it looks like the previous owner put cement right over the brick. Maybe it was damaged but whatever. Since it's going to be an open floor plan and intended on having the exposed brick, we can now choose any stone to lay over the existing chimney.
IMG_5548.JPG

We had lumber delivered today as well.
IMG_5546.JPG

Dude man dropped it all into the front yard. Ended up moving it all to the backyard for some security.
IMG_5549.JPG

Tomorrow we will finish gutting and getting ready for the framer that is coming Monday. This week is some rough plumbing, new electrical and framework. Margaret's dad has some dead stock windows that he's been holding onto for a year that we picked through yesterday that will get fitted into place as well.. We may drag the cast iron tub off the front yard if we are ambitious enough.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new place man! That's a hell of a schedule but I see you're making some great progress too. Hopefully it sticks.

Are you doing an addition or just framing out the new layout? Some days I wish I could have done my house this way, it's nice to know how your house is put together from the inside out.

Congrats on the new place man! That's a hell of a schedule but I see you're making some great progress too. Hopefully it sticks.

Are you doing an addition or just framing out the new layout? Some days I wish I could have done my house this way, it's nice to know how your house is put together from the inside out.
Thanks! we are just framing out the new floorplan, also to firm up the existing walls/floors.

Reactions: rlb
Thanks! we are just framing out the new floorplan, also to firm up the existing walls/floors.
What helps when doing lath / plaster demo is to purchase a few box fans from wallmart and run then venting out the windows , it does a really good job at containing dust . Looks really good, this is always a cool thing to do as a homeowner . Do your self a favor and put your money in the things that make the home efficient like windows / doors , go crazy on insulation . Not many folks get to do this so enjoy the process man .

What helps when doing lath / plaster demo is to purchase a few box fans from wallmart and run then venting out the windows , it does a really good job at containing dust . Looks really good, this is always a cool thing to do as a homeowner . Do your self a favor and put your money in the things that make the home efficient like windows / doors , go crazy on insulation . Not many folks get to do this so enjoy the process man .
NOW you chime in!!! Lol just messin. We had a decent cross wind through the house but that would of been the best way to eliminate the dust.
We have all new Pella and Anderson windows that Margaret's dad has from last years deadstock from the local builders supply. Adding a Pella slider in the back. In the front we are putting some big Andersons on the porch and rest of house. Spray insulation is the only way to do this house. There is no vapor barrier, just studs to old siding and then obviously the vinyl siding.
IMG_5561.JPG

So I guess as with any project like this, there are some things that are not wanted at the current time. A minor but pretty upsetting mistake on the day workers. Instead of peeling the laminated tile off the 110year old hardwood floor, they pulled it up in only the dining room. This is not something that could of been saved either as they removed it poorly. This was pretty upsetting to us. We hope we can match it. MAJOR BUMMER #1

The framers began yesterday, which was another surprise. However, it's needed with the tight deadline we are on. With The kitchen roof being off centered to the floor, and to achieve what we want, they needed to scissor it. Basically just add a new (lower) peak and new beams to lay the Sheetrock on.
IMG_5575.JPG

They began framing out for new windows as well. Upon doing so, and the house being so old. The original wood siding is still on the house along with ASBESTOS siding then the vinyl siding. MAJOR BUMMER #2!! today they are going to try to sit a window in and see what happens. If they are unsuccessful, the siding needs to come off, then asbestos remediation, then plywood on old wood siding and then re-side with new vinyl siding. This is not in the budget this year. Yet we are hopeful it will work with what they have planned... talk about hitting speed bumps in two days... things will get better... to end today's post... we are 28 weeks pregnant and Baby RJ is just about 3lbs and in the 51st percentile... thanks for reading..

Great progress! Some unsolicited advice: do yourself (and your wife) a favor and make sure the baby's room is done by the time you guys start staying there. If there is still chaos going on, having a space where they can escape to is a lifesaver.

The opening for the kitchen is done and the peak is complete. Window framing is successful thus far. The issue behind it is that there is nothing for siding to adhere to when reattached.. basically the guy is just building out the frame so the siding can get reattached.

IMG_5582.JPG
IMG_5583.JPG

Sliding door is last because our lumber is In the backyard. Looking forward to more work this weekend!

Oh, 70 cubic yards of dumpsters and counting!

Finish at least one bedroom, I'll need a place to stay for your labor day blowout. My attorney will fax over my rider. But don't worry I am not that rigid in requirements, I am willing to set my own Sleep Number settings.

How much weight of lath and plaster have you gutted out ? When I did my place I did both floors around 3000 sq ft and it was close to 35 ,000 lbs. crazy if you think about how much load you remove from the structure is replaced with super light weight products . Your build thread is awesome ! Keep it up and congrats on a little one coming .

Looking good man, love the progress. Glad to hear the little man is doing well. Those last 12 weeks are gonna a go quick!

We had been given a cast iron tub that was only 2 years old from a spare bathroom. It was on the front lawn for almost two weeks until someone took it LOL. I mean, not for nothing but who has the cajones to pick up a cast iron tub and haul it away. Apparently someone!

Anyways, we had one framer working on sistering the joists for the second floor. He basically got the first floor ready and supported. He started on the second floor and got the bathroom and a closet framed out. He was moving slow but at least someone was there. There was days that I stopped by and NOTHING was done for atleast 3 days. This was terribly upsetting to Margaret. To put icing on that cake, her dad fired him the next day due to some crap about him just being high maintenance and complaining way too much. (This is the second job he allowed him to work on and he just couldn't get down with the pace-I guess)

9 weeks till RJ3 is here and 7 to get into the house. This begins crunch time and Her dad has an official timeline with not much left to do..(to me it's like a never ending list) but he believes in dividing and conquering. The last two days he's had two crews there. One crew was the masonary crew. They were redoing the basement walls and plastering them. The foundation is two layers of brick and a lot of the mortar was just dust. So plaster and paint to keep the moisture out. The floor will either get some leveler put down or cement.
IMG_5683.JPG
IMG_5685.JPG

The next crew was finishing and adding more frame work for the closets upstairs... also taking down the joist sistering the other guy did and doubled them up.

Off the kitchen was an old porch, the floor was not level, it was in really bad shape. The floor joists were the only thing good about it. In order to make a powder room and a laundry room out of this one porch, we had to build up the foundation and add block piers. This will bring the floor level to the kitchen. Today they got the floor joists in and a sub floor for the powder room section.
IMG_5675.JPG
IMG_5687.JPG

Tomorrow her dad and I will remove the existing door and install the new door but that will be moved 1 foot to make room for the laundry room. We will frame out the powder room walls, window,ceiling and door. It should be a full day for us two. Not sure if other framers will be there or not. But I think her dad's laborer will be with us too. ( hopefully cleaning out the crawl space)

Here's a shot with the plywood off the wall in the kitchen.. soon the sliding door will be installed and the house will be a shotgun style home. Things are moving now, rough plumbing gets started next week and hvac as well. Then electrical and spray foam after the inspections. Then finally drywall! Somewhere in that time all new hardwood flooring will get installed on both floors..I'm worn out but I keep moving because I want to bring my baby home to this home. It's been great getting my hands dirty and enjoyed picking out plumbing fixtures... almost there! One day at a time. Cheers!
IMG_5677.JPG

Last edited:
Makin progress! Once the "stuff before the stuff" wraps up and the "visible" work begins (plumbing, electric, drywall) it'll start shaping up real quick. Good that you're keeping it together and staying focused, always makes a big difference.

Makin progress! Once the "stuff before the stuff" wraps up and the "visible" work begins (plumbing, electric, drywall) it'll start shaping up real quick. Good that you're keeping it together and staying focused, always makes a big difference.
keeping it together- HA!!! Trying the best I can, those pregnant hormones can be viscous. I guess you can say I'm keeping quiet! Lol

Things are starting to get crazy, upon moving the side entrance door, the sill plate was completely rotted. That meant the whole exterior wall had to be removed-
IMG_7237.JPG

Not terribly surprised for 110years old. All the siding for the back half of the house has been removed, the asbestos has been -cough- remiated. :eek: We've got some vertical hardiplank siding that will be installed. Anyways, that wall is up, door installed and doorway framed out for powder room.
IMG_7256.JPG

Rough plumbing has begun and should be a few more days. Tomorrow the framers are coming back to rebuild the back wall and framing out the sliding door(to be installed sat). Friday electrical begins. That's really it for now... oh, Sunday we are doing more concrete work... JOY!

Things are starting to get crazy, upon moving the side entrance door, the sill plate was completely rotted. That meant the whole exterior wall had to be removed-
View attachment 53593
Not terribly surprised for 110years old. All the siding for the back half of the house has been removed, the asbestos has been -cough- remiated. :eek: We've got some vertical hardiplank siding that will be installed. Anyways, that wall is up, door installed and doorway framed out for powder room. View attachment 53592

Rough plumbing has begun and should be a few more days. Tomorrow the framers are coming back to rebuild the back wall and framing out the sliding door(to be installed sat). Friday electrical begins. That's really it for now... oh, Sunday we are doing more concrete work... JOY!
Curious...using PEX of copper for the retrofit?

Back
Top Bottom