The Grand Ave Project

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
most people who rent their property make money . otherwise there would not be any rental homes

flawed logic applying in single case.

The value in this home is the time and thought put into renovating.
it can not be unlocked renting, because of the risk. Sure, could get lucky and have a 10 year renter that loves the place like their own.
in reality, it is going to be someone that loses their job, and it takes 5 months to evict, and they decide their inability to pay, and
being thrown out is the owner's fault, so a few extra holes to patch and pissing in the dishwasher are fair trade.

want to rent a home to make $$, patch the walls, paint, make sure most stuff works, rent.

i've had both types. multiple times. won't do it again. even if i went slumlord or executive levels.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
flawed logic applying in single case.

The value in this home is the time and thought put into renovating.
it can not be unlocked renting, because of the risk. Sure, could get lucky and have a 10 year renter that loves the place like their own.
in reality, it is going to be someone that loses their job, and it takes 5 months to evict, and they decide their inability to pay, and
being thrown out is the owner's fault, so a few extra holes to patch and pissing in the dishwasher are fair trade.

want to rent a home to make $$, patch the walls, paint, make sure most stuff works, rent.

i've had both types. multiple times. won't do it again. even if i went slumlord or executive levels.

I don’t disagree with your logic in OP’s case and some of your personal cases, but I disagree with generalizations. I still think my statement is true. There are 50million rentals in the US. They are all doing it to break even or worse?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I don’t disagree with your logic in OP’s case and some of your personal cases, but I disagree with generalizations. I still think my statement is true. There are 50million rentals in the US. They are all doing it to break even or worse?

i'm saying they are places to live - 10% of the number you quote is section 8 or subsidized. I'd suspect a good number are seasonal.
what is the ratio of "choose to rent" vs "have to rent" ?

Good renters (like you) are hard to come by.

Perhaps pricing questionable renters out of the market would help?

I need to read this when i'm awake - http://www.jchs.harvard.edu/sites/default/files/harvard_jchs_americas_rental_housing_2017_0.pdf

Sure, you can make money renting. If i spread the risk over 10 units? probably not a problem. but then it is a job.
ya also cannot get blood from a stone. something goes wrong rent-wise, it isn't recoverable.

The Kalmyk

Yes, yes and yes

Top Bottom