The Gang Goes on a Bike Ride

hotsauce

Hello MTBNJ gang! I've been quite absent. After my son was born in mid-September, I just haven't found time to post or check in.

I joined a road team, hired a real life coach, and have been pouring much of my free time into training on the road with some minor success. A few top 10s in the Cat 4's and way better fitness than I've ever had in the past. I even convinced @1sh0t1b33r and @StayHydrated to race in Fort Lee last weekend. @1sh0t1b33r told me that I'm not slow anymore.

Things took an interesting turn in the late spring when I was approached to interview for a position at an endowment in Ann Arbor, MI. Originally it seemed like a crazy idea but both me and my wife burning the candle at both ends with a kiddo in the mix made the thought of a simpler life very appealing. One thing led to another and I recently accepted the position so I'm in the last days of work in NYC before we close up life on the east coast and head out (mid)west. The organization is a big upgrade for me with more potential for professional growth without working 70 hours a week.

I never ended up buying a MTB. I needed a contractor to do some renovations to build out bike storage but it was impossible to find anyone in Hoboken so it never materialized. Two contractors came out to take a look but then my calls were never returned and the estimates they promised never materialized. I HAVE ridden a MTB in Michigan though! When I was out scoping out the town for a weekend, one of the guys from the company took me out to the DTE Energy Foundation trail which was pretty tame but fun nonetheless.

I'll be focusing on the MICX this fall which isn't as robust as cyclocross in the Northeast but part of the relocation is a desire to find a simpler life and not racing a 100 person cat 3 field is part of that. Once we get through our first Michigan winter and get set up, a MTB will likely be a necessity with so many trails around.

I'll be back on the east coast a lot for work and to visit family so I won't be totally gone, unless the Midwest really is that good.

hotsauce

Also the Thursday night Liberty State Park CX practice is being run by Charles Gomez this year. Head out tonight and have some fun!

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If the fields aren't big, you might come back as a Cat 1 yo. Stay fast, stay frosty. Check in with us once in a while with CX write ups!

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
WOW! congrats on the new job and successfully getting out of NJ!

hotsauce

I bought a MTB (finally) and ripped some trails. That is all.

IMG_1228.jpg

hotsauce

Dusting off the cobwebs on this for a hot minute. I'm moving to Baltimore next month and just hopped on the waitlist for Rattling MTB Marathon and saw at least one MTBNJ-er there which reminded me of you fine folks.

Once upon a time, I was told to race Iceman Cometh while living in Michigan, which I recently did. For posterity's sake, I'm pasting my race report below for your reading enjoyment. Long and the short of it is that Traverse City is a really fun place and flying out to Iceman is a bucket list event.

Iceman Cometh race report - the “on your left” remix
This was my first Iceman and was on my bike-bucket list before leaving Michigan at the end of the year. It was also my first “MTB” race. I started in wave 37, basically at the back.
  • Course
    • This isn’t an MTB race, it’s a double-track gravel race. There was only a few miles of single track and it was all groomed flow that was basically just brown payment with more twists. Most of the course was slightly sandy double track with some larger sand-pit sections.
  • Conditions
    • It was a Nice-man year. Temps at the start were in the high 30s to low 40s when I started. Finish was in the high-50s. The ground was basically bone dry.
  • The race
    • I started in the first row of my wave and went off well from the gun. One guy went out very fast and I couldn’t stay close enough to his wheel to catch his draft so I slotted into the second group a few seconds back before we left the airport. I hit the first loose sand section wayyy too close to the guy in front of me and had to hit the brakes when he took a bad line. I swiftly went over the bars then felt OK for a quick second only to see my bike coming in hot right at my head. All was fine other some lost pride and I got up and back on the bike pretty quickly.
    • I ended up settling in just behind a local fast woman and we worked well together for the next 10 miles. It basically turned into passing at every opportunity then patiently waiting on the narrow sections of the trail. I was moving at threshold for a while until I couldn’t keep her wheel up a punchy hill without blowing up and then rode solo for the last 20 miles.
    • I pre-rode the last 5 miles of course the day before which was nice to have the familiarity of what to expect. Around 25 miles in, I realized that I had a chance of breaking 2 hours and pushed a bit harder.
  • Result
    • Finish time was 2:02:46, just barely shy of breaking the 2 hour mark. 14.91 mph average. I ended up passing 649 people and was only passed by 4 others. 11 of 54 in my age group (men 37) and 809 of 3462 overall.
  • What went well
    • I had a goal of having fun but racing well, which I accomplished
    • The event was organized super well. I was wary of the logistics of a point to point race but these guys have it down.
  • What I could improve
    • If I had unlimited funds, I’d race this on a 1-by gravel bike with big tires. An MTB is overkill on this course and probably cost me a lot of time.
    • Fitness wasn’t prefect, so that could always be better. Getting a house ready to sell really kills your fitness.
    • Like every cold-weather race, I overdressed and was overheating within the first 10 minutes. It’s so hard to remember not to overdress.
  • Gear
    • Specialized Chisel with 10-50 cassette and 32t chainring. Specalized Fast Track tires.
Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/6220616183

IMG_6140.JPG

(this was from pre-ride, it was nuts-o post-race)

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dusting off the cobwebs on this for a hot minute. I'm moving to Baltimore next month and just hopped on the waitlist for Rattling MTB Marathon and saw at least one MTBNJ-er there which reminded me of you fine folks.
All that matters. Welcome back to the part of the country where it doesn't snow 3/4 of the year.

In all seriousness, are you moving into the city or "I live in Baltimore but it's 45 minutes to get to Baltimore, Baltimore."?

Congratulations on racing a MTB! Hopefully we run into you at some east coast races.

hotsauce

In all seriousness, are you moving into the city or "I live in Baltimore but it's 45 minutes to get to Baltimore, Baltimore."?
LOL. Living in Towson for 6 months until we figure out something more permanent. Basically on the border of the City/County of Baltimore(s).

All that matters. Welcome back to the part of the country where it doesn't snow 3/4 of the year.
It snowed 3 inches here yesterday. Yes it snows a lot but man, Midwest summers are downright pleasant - unlike the swampy East Coast summers.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm moving to Baltimore next month and just hopped on the waitlist for Rattling MTB Marathon and saw at least one MTBNJ-er there which reminded me of you fine folks

That’s me I think. lol.

I did that race this past year and the course is great. I had some problems during the race so I need to redeem myself. Plus I’m in the 45+ group now so I’ll need to get my shit together. Lol.

Cool you’re doing back to the east coast. Good luck on the move

hotsauce

3,400+ racers?? Holyfawk
It's a gravel race masquerading as a MTB race but hey, I'm a MTB racer now...

Kerry Werner had a good race recap video on YouTube which is worth a watch. He talks about gear selection a bit.

That’s me I think. lol.
Ding ding ding.

I'm on the fence about it for scheduling reasons so happy to be on the wait list and kick the can down the road on shelling out the reg fee.

Top Bottom