The EXTREMELY Fuzzy Dog Adoption Thread!

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Been a long time since I posted here! Holy cow. We got back into fostering recently. Our latest is Maggie, some sorta ‘Doodle derivative. She’s very sweet but skittish. Loves people, kids, other dogs. Pretty young, great shape, nice coat and teeth. No accidents in the house which is nice.
North Star Pet Rescue if interested.

6A9BC0FC-CC38-4033-8B84-3F42FD89EABB.jpegD8C15FD4-1AE1-4BD3-A575-88A6C80B0DB0.jpeg9E588894-27AD-4A0C-9910-FC2E4C711D15.jpegA27C7E02-F896-478A-92BB-87D42A86D346.jpeg

Last edited:

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I can’t believe I’ve never seen this thread! I like animals more than people. I’m so happy you’re doing this, I will totally foster dogs someday. Right now my rescue Staffie is NOT terribly dog friendly and as such she is destined to remain an only dog for her golden years. ❤️ ? ?

RobW

I can’t believe I’ve never seen this thread! I like animals more than people. I’m so happy you’re doing this, I will totally foster dogs someday. Right now my rescue Staffie is NOT terribly dog friendly and as such she is destined to remain an only dog for her golden years. ❤️ ? ?
pack walks help with staffies. had a few in my past... pack walks really are key with them. it builds their insecurities

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's

We've had to work finding the right fit. But it can be a lot of fun and you get to experience a lot of doggie "personalities".
I haven't posted here for years, so there's that!

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So, dogs! This is Camille. She looks like a cattle dog mixed with a hound or even a Doxie or shepherd. She’s sweet, housebroken, good on leash, good with other dogs and so far okay with kids. No cats, unless you want a lot of chaos! She can be a little skittish with men unless I’m walking her, then I’m cool. Kind of a no brainer, you could drop her in almost anywhere and she’d be cool. We thought about keeping her but our little S*it mix isn’t a huge fan, but he’s a jerk.
Feel free to PM for more info.
Link to bio and info

2022A161-BA6E-43FA-A6D5-A88768D2DCAE.jpeg

rlb

She looks sweet! Also sounds like a great family dog. Is the Covid rush over? Either way I bet she goes quick.

pibbles

covid rush never stopped. been trying since march to get a male pittie but no luck, they only give the puppies to previous adopters......

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@rlb It’s backed off a little but still high demand. I’m surprised she’s still around but a lot of folks have passed her up due to her age (5-6). Shes a good girl. No chewing, no aggression, she’s like Dog 1.0.

@pibbles I feel like the rescues almost force people to breeders or pet stores sometimes. We put a lot of time and effort into the dogs and want the best for them but the application process can be a bit much imho. Wish there was a better way.

Reactions: rlb

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
what does that mean? Just making sure before I show the pictures to the wife.
He’s really never been on a leash so he has no leash manners. Eventually they get the idea but it’s annoying at first.

Young dogs will chew stuff and kinda lead with their mouth. In this case you might be petting him and he’ll kinda mouth you, it’s not a bite just the dog getting a little excited and using their face. The more he wrestles with our other dog the more he does it with us. When he’s calm and relaxed he rarely does it. Very typical young dog behavior (babies put everything in their mouths also) just have to correct it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
He’s really never been on a leash so he has no leash manners. Eventually they get the idea but it’s annoying at first.

Young dogs will chew stuff and kinda lead with their mouth. In this case you might be petting him and he’ll kinda mouth you, it’s not a bite just the dog getting a little excited and using their face. The more he wrestles with our other dog the more he does it with us. When he’s calm and relaxed he rarely does it. Very typical young dog behavior (babies put everything in their mouths also) just have to correct it.

Asking a serious question here. Why does it need to be corrected? Bear did this when he was younger a lot but never hard and he learned quick enough what OUCH meant. He grew out of it. Do some dogs not grow out of it? I always felt like that was just part of his puppy charm.

iman29

Asking a serious question here. Why does it need to be corrected? Bear did this when he was younger a lot but never hard and he learned quick enough what OUCH meant. He grew out of it. Do some dogs not grow out of it? I always felt like that was just part of his puppy charm.

From my experience with my own and training other dogs for people some dogs do not outgrow it in fact it gets worse if you don’t correct it. Some dogs learn more easily than others too.

If you were consistently saying “ouch” when Bear did this when he was younger in a way you were training him without realizing it and he responded well.

When Shelby was younger she was very mouthy to the point her sharp puppy teeth would scratch and slice my fingers. Not a bite just enough to hurt. We used “OUCH!”
As a command along with some other gentle techniques (press tongue down with thumb for a few seconds) to get her to realIze it’s not ok to mouth us and replaced it with a toy or chew bone instead.

She’s 3 now and even at the peak of her play excitement the most she will ever do is gentle mouthing for a split second before she realizes that’s no good. Even if anyone tried to shove a hand or finger in her mouth now, she will pull away and not grab on at all. This is reenforced often during playtime
Just to be sure she doesn’t forget.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
As you said, you do actually correct him (ouch!) but I know what you mean.
A. As @iman29 said, it can get worse, turn into going after shoes, socks, etc and could become an bigger issue especially with a larger dog.
B. Sigh. We're always mindful a dog may be returned. It's really hard to adopt out a full grown, out of control dog so we do try to stress some sort of training/socialization.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
And the latest, Paul! The nice folks who run our rescue went on vacation in the Bahamas and (of course) ran across a woman who runs a 100+ dog rescue all by herself. Apparently the stray dog situation on the islands is massive and the locals treat them like vermin. So we've started to pull some dogs from there as well as down south.
Paul is a Bahamas pup, he's sweet and kinda shy, also pretty hilarious as he's in the awkward adolescent stage and can't control his paws.

Side note, we are looking for fosters in our area. We have more requests to pull dogs than we can handle right now. If anyone is interested let me know, our rescue will work hard to find you a foster that fits your family and will provide all the dog stuff, vet, etc.

Paul!
84142889_500x475.jpg

Top Bottom