The DIY thread - DIYourself

RobW

I’m also in kitchen demo mode. Although mine is DIY. House is 100 years old and had to tear out three layers of ceiling: drywall and separate framing, then tile on top of original plaster. The good news is my ceiling will be 6 inches higher. View attachment 70544View attachment 70545
Did the same thing. Previous owner put a drop ceiling into kitchen area. Ripped that out and vaulted the ceiling. With your ceiling I would make sure it’s the same distance from floor to cieling joist at each joist. If not, you’ll have some fun with that.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
so i got paid for this one - but it wasn't so bad -

lowe's 60" shower door Ove or something like that $750
took about 4 hours alone - probably sub 3 with a helper - functional panel weight about 120lb
working with the hardware was a challenge without another hand.

Good project. would recommend the kit - well designed, sturdy, and has enough adjustment to not f-up.

- i should have stacked the tile for drama, rather than a running bond. it was just so easy with the 5' width.

IMG_1030.JPG

qclabrat

so i got paid for this one - but it wasn't so bad -

lowe's 60" shower door Ove or something like that $750
took about 4 hours alone - probably sub 3 with a helper - functional panel weight about 120lb
working with the hardware was a challenge without another hand.

Good project. would recommend the kit - well designed, sturdy, and has enough adjustment to not f-up.

- i should have stacked the tile for drama, rather than a running bond. it was just so easy with the 5' width.

View attachment 70555
nice work Pat, I have a reno planned for my master bath but my wife wants to hire out. Cause she does not want a whole summer or winter without a bathroom. Mine has one of those stupid bidets. Any thoughts on what to do with it? I could never understand the concept. Poop>>wipe>>short awkward walk to bidet>> rinse>> wipe again. Am I doing it wrong?

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Did the same thing. Previous owner put a drop ceiling into kitchen area. Ripped that out and vaulted the ceiling. With your ceiling I would make sure it’s the same distance from floor to cieling joist at each joist. If not, you’ll have some fun with that.
We were hoping to leave the joists exposed, as the upstairs floorboards look nice (like beadboard) but some sections had been hacked up when the upstairs bathrooms had been remodeled. I’m doing a rough cut wood ceiling, so it doesn’t have to be perfect, but I may have to compensate in places. Like this: 21B6DF05-5903-4BC8-A6FE-93D15F578D47.jpeg

Patrick

Staff member
nice work Pat, I have a reno planned for my master bath but my wife wants to hire out. Cause she does not want a whole summer or winter without a bathroom. Mine has one of those stupid bidets. Any thoughts on what to do with it? I could never understand the concept. Poop>>wipe>>short awkward walk to bidet>> rinse>> wipe again. Am I doing it wrong?

so you want to hire out someone to rinse and wipe? :D

i'm not a fan - but i didn't grow up with one. no ideas!

Patrick

Staff member
We were hoping to leave the joists exposed, as the upstairs floorboards look nice (like beadboard) but some sections had been hacked up when the upstairs bathrooms had been remodeled. I’m doing a rough cut wood ceiling, so it doesn’t have to be perfect, but I may have to compensate in places. Like this: View attachment 70560

that is a cool look - much better than open joists. plenty of tricks to create a level ceiling plane.

Jmann

You need one of those fancy Japanese toilets that has it all built in to the toilet. A friend of mine has one, the lid automatically raises when you get close to it. We have the cheaper add on bidets, kind of eliminates (no pun intended) the need to for separate bidet. I know bidets are weird but I can’t go back to life pre-bidet.

qclabrat

We were hoping to leave the joists exposed, as the upstairs floorboards look nice (like beadboard) but some sections had been hacked up when the upstairs bathrooms had been remodeled. I’m doing a rough cut wood ceiling, so it doesn’t have to be perfect, but I may have to compensate in places. Like this: View attachment 70560
that's a great look, really dig the SS appliances and brick tiles with the reclaimed wood

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
shower drain needs a trap toilet doesnt, so you can probably reuse most of it as long as you put a trap in the line but im not sure.

RobW

Very cool, I like that look. I wanted to do some shiplap on our vaulted kitchen ceilings. My father in law recently had a customer who wanted that in their bathroom but also wanted a faux reclaimed look to it. Since that would of been a huge cost, he decided to hand paint and distress it himself. I think it came out awesome. 1FADEA65-C7A1-45DA-8753-885DCFF9D049.jpeg
AC5951CE-B8B8-438D-ACF5-2CF9A96978D7.jpeg

Jmann

Very cool, I like that look. I wanted to do some shiplap on our vaulted kitchen ceilings. My father in law recently had a customer who wanted that in their bathroom but also wanted a faux reclaimed look to it. Since that would of been a huge cost, he decided to hand paint and distress it himself. I think it came out awesome. View attachment 70583
View attachment 70584
Wow, that came out great. I was going to check out reclaimed wood just to see what was out there, but probably wouldn’t go that route. I haven’t priced rough cut shiplap yet, I used to be able to get it really cheap, but times have changed. A lot of the stuff I used to take for granted has become trendy and the prices have risen.

Jmann

Very cool, I like that look. I wanted to do some shiplap on our vaulted kitchen ceilings. My father in law recently had a customer who wanted that in their bathroom but also wanted a faux reclaimed look to it. Since that would of been a huge cost, he decided to hand paint and distress it himself. I think it came out awesome. View attachment 70583
View attachment 70584
That’s in the vein of what we want to do with our attic one day. Open bedroom with a claw foot tub. And probably reuse all the tongue and groove wood paneling I pulled out of the kitchen for the walls.

Patrick

Staff member
Can the toilet drain be repurposed for the shower? Also what are you thoughts on a shower with a window?

sure - assuming you can get to the plumbing - shower requires 2" drain, so that is what the drains come with - toilet probably has a 4x3 closet bend - cut it off, install reducer, and trap. easy to do from the top. those new linear drains are cool - means you only need to pre-slope/slope in 1 direction. or buy a pan, which is so easy it is like cheating.

window is asking for trouble. but hey, it will last 10 years, and you are out of there!

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i grew up in a house with a window in the shower, NBD, but also didnt get you anything special. use the PVC substitute molding instead of wood if you go that route.

rlb

I have a window in my shower, it's a chore to keep it clean. I need to scrap the existing colonial style molding for something more simple (less lines).

qclabrat

I have a window in my shower, it's a chore to keep it clean. I need to scrap the existing colonial style molding for something more simple (less lines).
Yeah, not ideal, master is laid out strange with the toilet, bidet and shower in room past the tub and vaniety. Also that stupid jucuzzi tub we never used, not even once needs to go.

Top Bottom