The DIY thread - DIYourself

qclabrat

Stupid question - is the w.c. level? and the floor is that much out?
it is a challenge to get that far out in such a small distance.

reset tiles under w.c. use smaller tiles to go from level under the w.c. to the level of the tiles around them.
Yeah, that's my job now...

qclabrat

Stupid question - is the w.c. level? and the floor is that much out?
it is a challenge to get that far out in such a small distance.

reset tiles under w.c. use smaller tiles to go from level under the w.c. to the level of the tiles around them.
Sorry didn't answer your Question
Toilet level, looks like aholes just crank down on the bolts. Not sure what happened, but I can tell from the door jams off by a good 1/2 inch. Should plywood be under or wonder board stuff

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Toilet level, looks like aholes just crank down on the bolts. Not sure what happened, but I can tell from the door jams off by a good 1/2 inch. Should plywood be under or wonder board stuff

if the floor was uneven, then unless it is made up with self-leveler, or mortar under each tile (which is tough) the tile will be uneven. still 1/2" from back to front of w.c. seems a lot!!!

the cheap way is to make the floor flat, yet uneven. typically want something waterproof under tile in a wet area. i've used durock, hardibacker, and ditra. current project is ditra over slab, and durock on the walls.

IMG_0970.JPG

client's only bathroom, so had to install the w.c. sat level, but would rock to a low tile...(woops, dats what shims are for.)

Last edited:

2WHLZ

got tired of the muddy corner of my yard this weekend... this should
951alNVjQWm8rFJ515NavAJ9cvHiNVDSvNd0PEyVA9tZvHPaHihAw0s3-PBs7BZd-7crXXebDXRh-IGMMiG75Ti9HuTI_k522gGYI0W-KTpmu5JyTHmbAJOq-AXzi8gyXT9HKlaaHSXtCweiXh6RGJxsurt4_LMM8Z5bWCFHP4_mr9eOl62Ao-c7Rih6V7D35qyPCsQ4lvV4ofRBkIfRHuuatrP0ueAc3DWC_hMRf6Qp3R6cX3zFClcNMpuCXAYkVj6wmU_GHShGIvy5ZKd1BQv1KMk3_sEHQNHSXSQ5pe880VpR39SOfY3IUsCN7DPjj9tqaRSYYn30vKVwag0ZoxNMbVw0HyVCQhLtGy1NkoQqtr3rdaMwzuBWFDXZ0yF5ayPFkmP54SF7KiIyvjOmad3JF5SmVtNUxgfapZpzfe0VkJhWnSVAjoEd0dt14fGCDUyCGLrR9tADJ1fggci1Fta_Hh1twrUAMuXydG7nY5hNXjS_-K9aUTr3JMakHGnQA1NXOOBdNK-hST3RyIKGuuOYITGDESYLDPrpLsJAR-XgeLwjhN8YYysN29QwhHfN9jcOjOSb8IQWNLcNT80UwP2oUysUfjXWZx9KWcDp=w903-h677-no
do the trick

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
got tired of the muddy corner of my yard this weekend... this should
951alNVjQWm8rFJ515NavAJ9cvHiNVDSvNd0PEyVA9tZvHPaHihAw0s3-PBs7BZd-7crXXebDXRh-IGMMiG75Ti9HuTI_k522gGYI0W-KTpmu5JyTHmbAJOq-AXzi8gyXT9HKlaaHSXtCweiXh6RGJxsurt4_LMM8Z5bWCFHP4_mr9eOl62Ao-c7Rih6V7D35qyPCsQ4lvV4ofRBkIfRHuuatrP0ueAc3DWC_hMRf6Qp3R6cX3zFClcNMpuCXAYkVj6wmU_GHShGIvy5ZKd1BQv1KMk3_sEHQNHSXSQ5pe880VpR39SOfY3IUsCN7DPjj9tqaRSYYn30vKVwag0ZoxNMbVw0HyVCQhLtGy1NkoQqtr3rdaMwzuBWFDXZ0yF5ayPFkmP54SF7KiIyvjOmad3JF5SmVtNUxgfapZpzfe0VkJhWnSVAjoEd0dt14fGCDUyCGLrR9tADJ1fggci1Fta_Hh1twrUAMuXydG7nY5hNXjS_-K9aUTr3JMakHGnQA1NXOOBdNK-hST3RyIKGuuOYITGDESYLDPrpLsJAR-XgeLwjhN8YYysN29QwhHfN9jcOjOSb8IQWNLcNT80UwP2oUysUfjXWZx9KWcDp=w903-h677-no
do the trick
google direct links are ephemeral. please post a "sharable link" so we can all enjoy your work.....;)
(this means i can't see it)

rick81721

Lothar
Finished painting trim in the front, power washed siding and rear deck/stairs (btw the old power washer died, a craftsman - if anyone wants to try to play with it, it's free. If not, it goes to the dump. It ran not well for a few hours, then when tried to start it a few days later, wouldn't run at all. Just starts and dies. Fiddled with it for awhile, then gave up and bought a new one).

Next project is this - hardwood floors have several stains from dog urine - I tried several years ago to bleach it multiple times, this was the best I could get it):

31704149_2041474945893546_4238488098100477952_n.jpg

What are the options? Replace the boards? Or sand and re-stain the entire floor to a darker color? Gotta sell this dump soon!

Update - got an estimate yesterday to sand and restain to a darker color the entire floor. Surprisingly reasonable, the problem is he says we (and the cats) would have to bail out of the house for a week. Going to get an estimate for board replacement, other options could be to have the floors restained after we move out, or just screw it and give the new owners credit to do whatever color they want.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
we (and the cats) would have to bail out of the house for a week.
Yeah.... between sanding everything and then stain/poly/poly, you don't want to be near that... plus footprints = bad. Prolly easier after you're out. Or, leave as is, and hope to only give partial credit.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Update - got an estimate yesterday to sand and restain to a darker color the entire floor. Surprisingly reasonable, the problem is he says we (and the cats) would have to bail out of the house for a week. Going to get an estimate for board replacement, other options could be to have the floors restained after we move out, or just screw it and give the new owners credit to do whatever color they want.
Just leave a half-filled coffee mug on top of the stain so they don't think it's dog piss.

qclabrat

More pond work
Checking the flow for the waterfall before I connect it to the bog in the back as the supply. Almost done, a little more rock work and it should be self sufficient. Water health numbers are great without adding any chemicals or bacteria. There still a little string algae but will starve off after the plants take off. So far this spring, added 18 small fish and a bunch of water lilies, lotus and irises.
IMG_20180612_195245.jpgIMG_20180612_195447.jpg

serviceguy

More pond work
Checking the flow for the waterfall before I connect it to the bog in the back as the supply. Almost done, a little more rock work and it should be self sufficient. Water health numbers are great without adding any chemicals or bacteria. There still a little string algae but will starve off after the plants take off. So far this spring, added 18 small fish and a bunch of water lilies, lotus and irises.
View attachment 70479View attachment 70478

While I do appreciate your well done job, looking at your pond sadly reminds me of the one installed by my neighbor, an endless supply of mosquitos that make our garden activities a nightmare. He's got fishes in there, I am surprised they don't eat all the mosquito eggs.

qclabrat

While I do appreciate your well done job, looking at your pond sadly reminds me of the one installed by my neighbor, an endless supply of mosquitos that make our garden activities a nightmare. He's got fishes in there, I am surprised they don't eat all the mosquito eggs.
fish eat the larvae like Doritos, either your neighbor lied about fish or overfeeds them. Are they koi or goldfish? Makes a difference on amount of food for each. Also how is he circulating water, if not, he's just breeding Culicidae.

So @qclabrat is why there are all of these damn mosquitoes in NJ?
I've never been bitten by one while riding a bike. Ride more and take less breaks.

Last edited:

serviceguy

fish eat the larvae like Doritos, either your neighbor lied about fish or overfeeds them. Are they koi or goldfish? Makes a difference on amount of food for each. Also how is he circulating water, if not, he's just breeding Culicidae.

I think he's just bubbling the water for what I can see. I am sure that mozzies have no shortage of breeding spots in the Ringwood woods surrounding my house, that said we could do without more of it!

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm guessing the flange is probably too proud,
which is no good the base isn't providing any support.
It shouldn't be a major job to replace the flange with one of the proper height and shim the base for level if the floor is uneven.
They make various height flanges and rings that should be able to solve it.

Top Bottom