The DIY thread - DIYourself

szymon

Here's another project that went wrong I did on Tuesday.
Trying to mount ATV tires on my tractor. I tried for 20 minutes to use my air compressor to get the tire seated on the rim, just couldn't do it. Tire was just not wanting to be wide enough at the beads and it was deformed from shipping.
The ol ether in the tire trick worked great, but it flame throwered a crazy blast of fireball at me and it destroyed my hand and burned off all my hair.
of course I'm a total moron for doing it, BUT IT WORKED.
But now my veins are tattooed to my skin. All those lines are my veins cause they stuck up the most. So dumb.
even dumber for not setting up the video before attempting.

I've always had luck using straps, my last tractor tire was a nightmare it needed 3 or 4 2"racket straps to get the tire close enough to inflate. Getting the old tire off was a bigger problem because it wouldn't pop off the bead, sledge hammer didn't do it and ended up putting pallet forks on a loader and pushing down with the tip to finally get it to pop off the bead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
what are you pluggin the diretv box into?

pos belkin wireless a/p, router, NAT - no vpn, but that would be a way to isolate the problem, since the cable modem couldn't do any type of packet inspection.

gtluke

The Moped
I had to cut my tires off with a sawzall. I had them filled with water (rv antifreeze) but it still froze. Tried to thaw them out but didn't have enjoyed time and took a saw to em. Haha. Thankfully my tractor is very small. Antique wheelhorse.
Once I cut the tire off I could get into the bed better and knock it off the rim.
Today the rear tire was flat, ugh, there's water in those too but the rears have tubes which makes it worse. Hopefully it heals itself. Ha.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
pos belkin wireless a/p, router, NAT - no vpn, but that would be a way to isolate the problem, since the cable modem couldn't do any type of packet inspection.

So what you trying to tell me is that you have to plug an Internet service provider's box into the Internet?

Patrick

Staff member
So what you trying to tell me is that you have to plug an Internet service provider's box into the Internet?

it is time warner (spectrum) country up there
they supply a basic arris cable modem with 1 IP

I plug a basic home router/nat box in
- at this point, all my wireless devices can connect and work.
i plug in a couple wired devices: smart tv, Oil Tank level bridge, ATT microcell.
everything is still working.
- i plug in the directv box (which is connected to a satellite dish - it isn't one of the new internet only things) - and the house goes offline.

i do some basic diagnostics on the router, and it says it can see the cable modem (it is getting an IP address) but it can't see the internet.
i get on the internet via lte, and the time warner site says it can access the modem - i'm too lazy to take down all the needed info to ping the router from the outside. cause i need to drive a mile up the road.

is this different than what other people do? other than some providers supply wireless access along with the cable modem, and more IP addresses??

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
it is time warner (spectrum) country up there
they supply a basic arris cable modem with 1 IP

I plug a basic home router/nat box in
- at this point, all my wireless devices can connect and work.
i plug in a couple wired devices: smart tv, Oil Tank level bridge, ATT microcell.
everything is still working.
- i plug in the directv box (which is connected to a satellite dish - it isn't one of the new internet only things) - and the house goes offline.

i do some basic diagnostics on the router, and it says it can see the cable modem (it is getting an IP address) but it can't see the internet.
i get on the internet via lte, and the time warner site says it can access the modem - i'm too lazy to take down all the needed info to ping the router from the outside. cause i need to drive a mile up the road.

is this different than what other people do? other than some providers supply wireless access along with the cable modem, and more IP addresses??

I dunno I just found it ironic you need an Internet connection to make a DirecTV box work.

https://forums.att.com/t5/DIRECTV-D...takes-down-home-Internet-service/td-p/4686553

Patrick

Staff member
I dunno I just found it ironic you need an Internet connection to make a DirecTV box work.

https://forums.att.com/t5/DIRECTV-D...takes-down-home-Internet-service/td-p/4686553

it doesn't "need" it - it is a backchannel for on-demand content, and logging PPV. There is also a cloud-dvr capability for current shows.

directv also has broadband networking built into some of the boxes, or uses a DECA (twisted pair to broadband bridge) - so they can see
each other over the cable (rg-6) - there are also diskless/tunerless clients that use a primary receiver to source material - newer clients boxes are wireless.
I'm not sure if they use their own channels.

thanks for the forum find, with only 1 dtv box, i'm not in the situation described. - i have one more idea when i head back up. there are two rj45 ports on the back
of the box - i'll just try the other one. and bring another DTV receiver up, to see if it happens on both.

i just have a feeling something else is going on.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
it doesn't "need" it - it is a backchannel for on-demand content, and logging PPV. There is also a cloud-dvr capability for current shows.

directv also has broadband networking built into some of the boxes, or uses a DECA (twisted pair to broadband bridge) - so they can see
each other over the cable (rg-6) - there are also diskless/tunerless clients that use a primary receiver to source material - newer clients boxes are wireless.
I'm not sure if they use their own channels.

thanks for the forum find, with only 1 dtv box, i'm not in the situation described. - i have one more idea when i head back up. there are two rj45 ports on the back
of the box - i'll just try the other one. and bring another DTV receiver up, to see if it happens on both.

i just have a feeling something else is going on.

1dlbfv.jpg

gtluke

The Moped
Undecided what to do here. I like the shelves, works great in this room. I hate the materials. Do I redo it?
I had good luck using Shellac primer on mdf, it stiffens it up a lot and I have it here. But ugh, ancient shit mdf.
Just what I need, more projects.
And @soundz has my table saw.
20180218_161900.jpg20180218_161907.jpg

Patrick

Staff member
Undecided what to do here. I like the shelves, works great in this room. I hate the materials. Do I redo it?
I had good luck using Shellac primer on mdf, it stiffens it up a lot and I have it here. But ugh, ancient shit mdf.
Just what I need, more projects.
And @soundz has my table saw.
View attachment 63950View attachment 63951

buy decent upper cabinets for a kitchen whatever height works - make sure they don't have a center style - create some sort of sliding cover for the top - or leave it open for convenient stuff ???
build a base if you need to make up a couple inches.

would go up rather quickly.

w_b

Paint them to match the walls and never look back. That is, if it really does work for you.

You could always add a simple support mid span later if/as they concave.

gtluke

The Moped
man I an not figure out a good layout for lighting for this room.
this is the best I can come up with. damn joists are the the way of making anything that makes sense.
1519091061905.png

Danimal

Here's another project that went wrong I did on Tuesday.
Trying to mount ATV tires on my tractor. I tried for 20 minutes to use my air compressor to get the tire seated on the rim, just couldn't do it. Tire was just not wanting to be wide enough at the beads and it was deformed from shipping.
The ol ether in the tire trick worked great, but it flame throwered a crazy blast of fireball at me and it destroyed my hand and burned off all my hair.
of course I'm a total moron for doing it, BUT IT WORKED.
But now my veins are tattooed to my skin. All those lines are my veins cause they stuck up the most. So dumb.
even dumber for not setting up the video before attempting.

i-sz7hFwj-X2.jpg
Next time get a ratchet strap and loop it over the tire and start cranking down. It should help to push the tire bead toward the rim and with some inflating and compressing the tire at the same time should get the tire started. Make sure you remove the ratchet once the tire starts inflating

Top Bottom