The DIY thread - DIYourself

rlb

I've got a problem to solve and I don't want to clog up Luke's thread so here we are. I'm replacing the base molding in my house and I wasn't smart enough to take pictures before I ripped the old stuff out. I have no idea how to transition from the stairway molding to the base molding at the top and bottom of the stairs. Pics in a minute...

Last edited:

rlb

I plan to put quarter round along the top of the stair stringer, but where the base molding butts up against the stair stringer is where I'm going to have a problem.

IMG_20131010_203833.jpg

IMG_20131010_203813.jpg

IMG_20131010_203801.jpg

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is the stairway runners recessed? If not 45 the ends with finished 45 ends.

rlb

Nope, there's a solid 1/8-1/4" gap between the stringer and drywall. Should I notch the quarter round to fit over the base molding, or cut back my base molding a bit to butt against the qr?

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Or rip off the top of another piece of base and continue it down the stairs. Just overlap the pcs on the stair angle to mark and cut. Use some scraps to try it first. Then you could do a smaller quarter round on the stringers

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Separate your wall mold from your stair runners completely. Or knock top corner of the top of stringer to match wall mold.

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's a taller base, 5 1/4 combo base. If you replace yours with that you'll get a similar look.

Or you can 45 the top piece and run it full down the stairs

rlb

How I did mine

Looks good! Seems like you ripped an inch or so off the bottom? I might try that. It will be tougher up top since I don't have a lot of wall space to make the transition. What doe the top of your stairs look like?

That's a taller base, 5 1/4 combo base. If you replace yours with that you'll get a similar look.

Or you can 45 the top piece and run it full down the stairs

Can't replace it, since I laid about 100ft of base molding already this is what I'm stuck with :D

Oops just saw the difference. Call me or Chris :)

That takes all the fun out of it!

Putty and paint

Thats going to be a lot of putty

Yeah I ripped it down because it looked ridiculous with large base on top. If there was room to fill I would of done quarterround in front of the base but I didn't need it

Top Bottom