The DIY thread - DIYourself

hahaha ooops! looks like mine was just worn the hell out! should have looked up a new one so I knew it was crazy worn out. My old one is less than in inch thick, my home made one is 1.5" and I bet this one is 2"
Doh, oh well, next time.

05UZNzH.png
Yup that's what I'd expect to see. Did you get your snow blower attachment used i guess? Never saw it without the wear on it?

Yup that's what I'd expect to see. Did you get your snow blower attachment used i guess? Never saw it without the wear on it?

Yeah used. My tractor is 47 years old :)

I'll flip it around. I'd probably buy that eBay one. I can't think of how I'd cut those ovals without a shit ton of time. Maybe 2 drill holes and a pneumatic cut off wheel, but it would be a mess. So I have a $9 non reversing one.

I was able to quickly cut the slots with a metal chop saw at work so it was easy.

just drill an oversized hole instead of a slot, as long as you can get a good drill that doesnt walk around before starting you will get the holes in line enough that youll still have your adjustment, then use washers if necessary (shouldnt be IMO) to cover the rest of the gap so the bolt doesnt pull through

I've had a winter long project to install a chimney cap and top seal damper, which keeps getting derailed by weather time and hard to source parts. Last night our house was smoky which I attributed to wind blowing fireplace smoke back down the chimney.

This morning I found the real culprit, a plant that was literally burning on top of a radiatior. The cover gets hot but never too hot your can't touch it. It must have been a perfect combination of the soil retaining heat and maybe some fertilizer with a low flash point. Wacky. The video is better but I can't upload it.IMG_4961.PNGIMG_4962.PNG

I poured water on it and stuck it outside. Two hours later it was still smoking so poured more water and it sizzled like crazy. Also is going to take awhile for the house to not smell like smoke. And it's that nasty burning weeds smell, not the nice campfire or woodstove smell.

I poured water on it and stuck it outside. Two hours later it was still smoking so poured more water and it sizzled like crazy. Also is going to take awhile for the house to not smell like smoke. And it's that nasty burning weeds smell, not the nice campfire or woodstove smell.
@Jmann I think there are a few around here who like that burning weeds smell ;)

hey i have the same label maker!

looks good, i have a pair of these hanging on the wall in my workshop for small parts.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Akro-Mils-44-Compartment-Small-Parts-Organizer-Cabinet-10144/203538913

I keep thinking I should get one of those too, I have one in the basement and it is pretty useful.

Really what will help me the most is getting rid of my galant. Once that is gone I can start throwing out buckets of bolts. It's amazing how often I need to replace bolts in that car or have to make something that requires hardware. No permanent fixes for a car on it's last legs :0

Okay, this is probably an easy one for you all.

Looking to add a shelf in a closet, span is 43" and change.
Looking to use 3/4" Melamine (16" wide) for the clean look and maintenance.

Due to stud placement, I'm planning on using shelf brackets at either end.

The question is how to keep it from sagging.
I'd rather not use more brackets in the middle of the run to not clutter the space below.

I'm considering
A) 1x2 oak strips fore and aft. Tacked and glued to the front (leaving a 3/4" lip), and then the full length as a cleat where it meets the wall.
B) a full length 12" pine stair tread mounted underneath the melamine.
Less elegant, but solid wood support.
C) fuck what it looks like, make the shelf out of a 2x12 and 2x4.

Will option A cut it?
I know it has to do with what will go on the shelf, it shouldn't be more than 30lbs, but let's assume at some point heavy crap will get put on there, so let's overbuild it.

What you all got?
Paging @ktmrider @mattybfat @fidodie

Last edited:
Plan A will work , just glue the nosing strip and rear band to the shelf , use a polyurethane adhesive , its bullet proof , how is the lake home coming along ? Did they finish the house across the street ?

i would concur that option a should work fine, we did something similar in the base of the staircase to our walkup attic, i only put the cleat along the back, nothing at the front and no sagging yet (2 years), i cant say how much weight is actually on the shelves tho . . .

p.s. i tacked the cleat to the bottom instead of the top so we could have a smooth shelf to slide stuff onto

do what da ktm says. let me know if you want a biscuit cutter, and pocket screws.
i'd put the cleat on the front, and forget the back, use a clip in the wall at the two studs

Thanks all-
Plan A it is.

And @ktmrider the house is going pretty well. Got confirmation on the non-code installation of the wood stove (slammer), and hoped we could get away with it, but no one reputable will clean the chimney, so that's the next big nut: new stove and liner.
Other than that, it's mostly just piddly stuff like closet shelves.
Been loving it, and exactly like you said: hard place to leave on Sunday night.

House across the street is all buttoned up- looks great. Like they just plopped something down from Aspen.
It was years in the making/planning, so I'm real happy for them.
And my property value ;-)

Back
Top Bottom