The DIY thread - DIYourself

I have no idea how I got these outlets so close to being perfect for the tile I didn't know I was using. Height is off by 1/8" but it'll juuuuuust squeeze under an outlet cover and I can just squeeze in the bottom outlet screws. The crazy part is that I started with a whole tile on the right side. First double outlet fit exactly the tile. Exactly. Second single outlet fit half a tile. Exactly half. Bonkers.

View attachment 59491 View attachment 59492 View attachment 59493
how you planning to finish between the tile and top? My contractor just grouted it to the granite but its starting to need regrouting or another solution. I don't want to put down a back splash or quarter round

how you planning to finish between the tile and top? My contractor just grouted it to the granite but its starting to need regrouting or another solution. I don't want to put down a back splash or quarter round

Needs to be silicone grout. They sell all the matching grout colors in silicone tubes. It looks exactly the same when dried, even the same texture. Way more flexible. Your contractor cut corners, shame shame! You have to do silicone on the countertop and corners, then wait for it to dry 24hs, then do grout. So they just skipped that.

it should be done with siliconized grout. the grout company should sell it.
same as the bathtub to tile, and inside corners of tile walls (they never do this) - and tile to molding joints.

edit -- ^^^ what luke said

Needs to be silicone grout. They sell all the matching grout colors in silicone tubes. It looks exactly the same when dried, even the same texture. Way more flexible. Your contractor cut corners, shame shame! You have to do silicone on the countertop and corners, then wait for it to dry 24hs, then do grout. So they just skipped that.
it should be done with siliconized grout. the grout company should sell it.
same as the bathtub to tile, and inside corners of tile walls (they never do this) - and tile to molding joints.

edit -- ^^^ what luke said
so that's different from what you get in tubes at HD?
almond-dap-caulk-7079818130-64_1000.jpg

Is this also used in the tubs?
Always just used regular silicone

yes - if you want that nice color/texture match. More important when doing some non-std color (think red or silver/grey grout.)
the line up the inside corner of the walls is very noticeable.

I have my kitchen apart again, minorly. And hobbling on a shit knee and in between stretching and icing.
I should have drawn up my kitchen in exact detail in autocad so I could have not spent probably 3 hours doing math and fighting with a tape measurer to figure out the exact placement of the first tile on the wall as to eliminate any shitty tile cuts or any tile having less than 1/4 tile at a vertical line.
left wall, right side of left cabinet, left side of vent, right side of vent, left side of right cabinet, electrical outlet, right wall
I did end up finding the magic number.

i-bk2DvsV-XL.jpg
i-SF3vXKX-XL.jpg

what are you putting between the poles?

didja rent an auger? or do they do nothing up there?

2x2 welded wire with poly coat
Will use a tension wire kit on top and bottom. Lots of bowling ball sized basalt. Contractor said they would also need to hand dig and would be 6k, saving 4 doing it myself across 2-3 weekends

2x2 welded wire with poly coat
Will use a tension wire kit on top and bottom. Lots of bowling ball sized basalt. Contractor said they would also need to hand dig and would be 6k, saving 4 doing it myself across 2-3 weekends

going to set the posts in dry cement, or use a mixer (or hand mix - don't do it)

Back
Top Bottom