The DIY thread - DIYourself

gtluke

The Moped
more air pressure, less gun pressure against wood.
you'll never see the dent from the driver when filled. well you might, but nobody else will.

contrast of colors and patterns looks great.

Yeah i can't get on the floor much to do the fill, and 1/4 land perfectly where no fill is required. Wish they all did.
I have 100psi of line pressure at my compressor, but I'm using 100ft of hose, which shouldn't be a problem because I'm not rapid firing.

How would one normally finish this section? I had 2 choices.
Self return (I KNOW MY STAIRS NEED TO BE RESTORED)
i-2r2XgRk-X2.jpg

or what I ended up doing
i-3SvFMwF-XL.jpg

i-h96s6Jt-XL.jpg

I did a self return on the other side
i-TrqfBTH-XL.jpg

i-4QgDz64-X2.jpg

you can see the shit marks from my shit nailer in the last pic, most annoyed that it leaves 2 marks.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
luke is your shit nailer a nailer/stapler hybrid unit? bc that mark matches pretty closely to what my shitty nailer/stapler leaves, i have since acquired a proper nailer with adjustable depth settings among other things which eliminate those marks

rlb

I like option 2 on the lower end of the stairs.

Feel your pain on the POS nailer. I have a harbor freight unit that I bought when I first bought my house. Works well enough but I have the same exact problem as you. Didn't stop me from hanigin nearly every single piece of trim in the house with it.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@gtluke - i like it returned into the stair stringer.
Top of the stairs is always interesting.

i think the gun is skipping, unless it shoots staples too.

gtluke

The Moped
luke is your shit nailer a nailer/stapler hybrid unit? bc that mark matches pretty closely to what my shitty nailer/stapler leaves, i have since acquired a proper nailer with adjustable depth settings among other things which eliminate those marks

Yeah I think it does staples too. Maybe I'll blow $100 on a proper shitty brad nailer. I have all the rest of my windows and trim to do in the house.

@fidodie I think I like the return better too, oh well I already did it. Maybe I'll redo it when I fix up the stairs.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah i can't get on the floor much to do the fill, and 1/4 land perfectly where no fill is required. Wish they all did.
I have 100psi of line pressure at my compressor, but I'm using 100ft of hose, which shouldn't be a problem because I'm not rapid firing.

How would one normally finish this section? I had 2 choices.
Self return (I KNOW MY STAIRS NEED TO BE RESTORED)
i-2r2XgRk-X2.jpg

or what I ended up doing
i-3SvFMwF-XL.jpg

i-h96s6Jt-XL.jpg

I did a self return on the other side
i-TrqfBTH-XL.jpg

i-4QgDz64-X2.jpg

you can see the shit marks from my shit nailer in the last pic, most annoyed that it leaves 2 marks.
Why didn't you return the shoe to the wall too ya noob.

Patrick

Staff member
Yeah I think it does staples too. Maybe I'll blow $100 on a proper shitty brad nailer. I have all the rest of my windows and trim to do in the house.

@fidodie I think I like the return better too, oh well I already did it. Maybe I'll redo it when I fix up the stairs.

23g pin nailer!

for the cool kids. holes are so small ya don't need to fill them.

Patrick

Staff member
I've got one, but I need the Bostitch for the 1" pins, mine only does 3/4 which sucks.
My 5 piece nailer it was $60 ha ha

all the $$ saved with DIY means you should get better tools! although those throw-away pancake compressors are nice.

Reactions: rlb

gtluke

The Moped
I have no idea how I got these outlets so close to being perfect for the tile I didn't know I was using. Height is off by 1/8" but it'll juuuuuust squeeze under an outlet cover and I can just squeeze in the bottom outlet screws. The crazy part is that I started with a whole tile on the right side. First double outlet fit exactly the tile. Exactly. Second single outlet fit half a tile. Exactly half. Bonkers.

20171115_221051.jpg 20171115_221110.jpg 20171115_221103.jpg

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have no idea how I got these outlets so close to being perfect for the tile I didn't know I was using. Height is off by 1/8" but it'll juuuuuust squeeze under an outlet cover and I can just squeeze in the bottom outlet screws. The crazy part is that I started with a whole tile on the right side. First double outlet fit exactly the tile. Exactly. Second single outlet fit half a tile. Exactly half. Bonkers.

View attachment 59491 View attachment 59492 View attachment 59493
Glad to see you're putting your down time to good use:)
Hows the knee doing?

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's

yup i have a porter cable (i think) that does 18 and 20 gauge brads iirc, all the adjustments, got it as a gift.

i will second the shitty throw away pancake compressors, i got mine from harbor freight for $40 and it drives nailers just fine, sucked when i needed to try filling up car tires with it, but thats a thing of the past now

jnos

I have a Porter Cable finish nailer that leaves the same big mark. I also have a Senco finish nailer that only leaves the nail hole.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have a Porter Cable finish nailer that leaves the same big mark. I also have a Senco finish nailer that only leaves the nail hole.

have you tried adjusting the depth wheel on it? i believe its next to the trigger on mine, if you dont know what im talking about ill try to get you a picture. (if its a really cheap one it may not have it?)

Top Bottom