The DIY thread - DIYourself

gtluke

The Moped
View attachment 55815 Here is what I meant about the coiled lines like stretched slinky..
They do that for stress relief. You don't need to replicate it like that if you are replacing the lines.
I recommend copper nickle brake lines and a flaring too. The copper nickle line is more expensive, but you can bend the crap out of it by hand and it won't kink. Regular line is very thin walled and kinks easy. The copper nickle stuff is very soft and has thick walls, so you can bend it and not worry.
I changed the brake lines out on my neighbor's truck with it, it was like $100 in crap.
I should actually sell you the fitting assortment and left over line I have.

THATmanMANNY

Nissan Titan. This is located behind the front driver wheel fender. ( I removed the fender)

Not sure if my Titan uses flare or bubble flare. Or does that depend on the fitting.

Man still $100 in crap? Going to visit the local shop and see how much they would charge for the job.

THATmanMANNY

I fixed my brakes issue. I just sold the MFer today as is lol, 10hrs after listing. 13years and did its job. Sad to see her go but she wasn't getting much use or love the past three years due to my long commute. Sad. Still settling in that she is gone.

rlb

I fixed my brakes issue. I just sold the MFer today as is lol, 10hrs after listing. 13years and did its job. Sad to see her go but she wasn't getting much use or love the past three years due to my long commute. Sad. Still settling in that she is gone.

Haha that was easy enough!

ChrisRU

Raised deck and side loading ramps = more trailer space.
IMG_20170806_111945431_HDR.jpg

+ They double as campfire benches
IMG_20170806_113721710_HDR.jpg

I'll have to strap it down excessively but I think it will be better than standing it up. I only need the extra room a few times a year. Should hold me over until a bigger trailer comes along.

qclabrat

@rottin' asked about my pond project which I've not done much here on the progress, still working on it....

hole dug, added gravel and mortared blocks for foundation
WP_20170626_18_48_06_Pro.jpg

two layers of underlayment, Roofing shingles and moving blankets
WP_20170626_19_01_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20170626_19_34_47_Pro.jpg

150 pound 45 mil rubber liner was complicated to fit the irregular shape
WP_20170626_19_41_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20170626_20_11_58_Pro.jpg

filled with treated water and after cycling filter for a few days, added fish a few each day. Was going on vacation in July so had to move fish out of the garage tanks
WP_20170627_07_52_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20170704_10_31_39_Pro.jpg

Pond stayed this way till after my 3 week vacation. Water turned pea green which is okay, as the algae was was controlling the ammonia levels and contributing to the nitrogen cycle. Added a heron net as we have them here.
WP_20170705_19_34_15_Pro.jpg

Next was the bog filter which is the where the plants will consume the ammonia and eventually starve off the algae and give me clear water. Needed to build a raised tank against my deck.

qclabrat

Bog done, water clearing up nicely
putting in a bog means I don't need chemicals and carbon to clean the fish waste

Built the bog foundation
WP_20170805_20_04_56_Pro.jpg

2" pvc supplies the bog
WP_20170813_11_12_36_Pro.jpg

inlet flows upward and to plant roots which turn ammonia to nitrates
WP_20170813_16_59_57_Pro.jpg

2 yards of pea gravel made the pond muddy
WP_20170820_19_46_16_Pro.jpg

clearing up and put down 14 pots of plants on the pond shelf. Used clay kitty litter as the substrate in the pots.
WP_20170826_14_08_44_Pro.jpg

last part is not my specialty, redo the waterfall and improve aesthetics

rlb

was waiting to get some OH beer when returning your grinder. Though they are always out. Guess I'll just need to owe you for now. I'll try to drop it by next week when you are free.

Don't sweat it man, but thanks anyway. I'll probably work from home on Friday if that works for you.

gtluke

The Moped
back at tree removal this week. 4 more down
3.5 in the shredder already.
Contemplating taking one more down but it's a super awkward trunk. Kinda nervous.
i-WfPRPMN-X2.jpg

i-G2CFXxN-X2.jpg

i-nnHxWc9-XL.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
How to spend $400 on a $40 part......sort of.

the check engine light came on, and the the rough idle started. i think it was in that order - and that should have been a clue.

Figured it had been 80k miles since the last tune-up - probably needed plugs. so picked up a mid-priced plugs ($36) for my
2003 envoy with 4.2L - no need to pull the codes, its just going to tell me it is missing....maybe even tell me which cylinder.
NBD - grabbed a new air filter also.

the 4.2 is an inline 6 cylinder DOHC design in a vertical orientation - meaning the cylinders move perpendicular to the ground.
The spark plugs are straight down from the top - and each plug has its own coil pack, so no wires to fail. the problem is that anything
falling into the spark plug well, goes down the spark plug hole.
IMG_7582.JPG

the front coil pack is removed - see the hole.

so i'm 30 minutes in, and have the front 5 plugs changed, and coil packs re-attached.
(i also found that the valve cover gasket is leaking into the plug wells, but meh - that will burn)

as you can see - the back plug has a bit of a challenge to it - but the tool collection is strong here.

i get the spark plug socket over the plug, and fish a short extension in, then drop the ratchet handle on -
the plug will not move. remember i don't want to break the plug, cause the ceramic chips could fall in.

I get an 18" long 1/2" drive breaker bar and get the plug moving - it's going, but it is tight - way tighter
than it supposed to. i have my ratcheting torque wrench, and there is enough room to get 1 pawl to engage,
and it is a struggle. Check the internet, and this is common - but why just one - we'll i'm thinking the last time
something was wrong, i had the dealer do the plugs - so they either didn't do the back one, or didn't use anti-seize -
by the look of the plug, they skipped it. Also put out an sos to @extremedave - see what he info he had.

Dave's advise to let it sit with the liquid wrench, and rock it back-n-forth a bit was a winner. plug was out in 5 minutes this morning.
I button up the resonator (i think its a resonator) and fire the car up - still running rough. I quick internet search says everyone
replaces the coil packs on these cars around 200k miles (i have 205k, and it is 15 years old next month) - so i purchase a coil 6-pack ($250)
and replace them - fire it up, and it is running about the same. figure i need to take it for a little longer drive, so i put about 10 miles on,
and stop at autozone to pull the codes. it throws something about the cam and crank sensors not happy - the solution is a VVT solenoid.
(variable valve timing solenoid) - autozone has one, $40.

other than having to remove the power steering pump, it is a simple swap - less than 15 minutes.

fire it up - still running like crap - so i'm thinking cam position sensor (or crank position sensor) - or maybe i got a bad coil?

run back to autozone, and get the new codes pulled. Misfire on #1 - well the #1 position has a wiring harness going over it, mounted in a solid channel.
it is interfering with the placement of the coil pack - so i take my time removing and replacing the #1 coil pack and re-seating the electrical connection.
and fired it up.

purred like a kitten. in the end, it took about 5 hours, and over $400 - it was probably just the solenoid - although it was time for plugs.....

typical 80/20 rule - 20% of the problem will take up 80% of the time.....

now it is time to get the 4wd back on-line, and if that doesn't cost anything, maybe i'll get winter tires, so that @gtluke's family can feel safe.

Top Bottom