The DIY thread - DIYourself

rick81721

Lothar
this is not uncommon (the second part, not the first - well maybe both)

a few of the faucets i've done were better attacked with a sawzall, than a wrench. brass is soft - piece of cake.

I employed the old bend it back and forth until it snaps off strategy.

gtluke

The Moped
My favorite thing to do on a hot day is get hotter.
Tree removal day
i-sHVCbf6-X3.jpg

i-CJRNw98-X3.jpg

All cleaned up already. I think I ran my death trap of a wood chipper for 2 solid hours.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Not that i am allowed to do electrical work in a multi-dwelling unit, but if the electrician says he'll inspect, and put it under
his name, who am i not to save some $$$

so this property, which will remain anonymous, was built in the 70s - and to save $$, they tied the circuits for the a/c to the heat - figuring that
the two would never be on at the same time, so why not. That won't fly now - luckily there was room in the box. Found the offending wires, and removed
them from the box where they tied to the heat - then ran some new wires to a new service switch for the air handler, and a new wire to splice into the
wire for the condenser. Also had to add a service light and outlet in the attic where the air handler will be replaced.

This one did require shutting off the mains, which were outside. so event he lugs were dead. That made it easy.

forgot to take an after picture - but when i was done, it was even more crowded.......

IMG_7086.JPG

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not that i am allowed to do electrical work in a multi-dwelling unit, but if the electrician says he'll inspect, and put it under
his name, who am i not to save some $$$

so this property, which will remain anonymous, was built in the 70s - and to save $$, they tied the circuits for the a/c to the heat - figuring that
the two would never be on at the same time, so why not. That won't fly now - luckily there was room in the box. Found the offending wires, and removed
them from the box where they tied to the heat - then ran some new wires to a new service switch for the air handler, and a new wire to splice into the
wire for the condenser. Also had to add a service light and outlet in the attic where the air handler will be replaced.

This one did require shutting off the mains, which were outside. so event he lugs were dead. That made it easy.

forgot to take an after picture - but when i was done, it was even more crowded.......

View attachment 55235
Holy crap. That looks like something I'd put together.

hotsauce

Not exactly DIY but not sure where this goes. I'm having PSEG troubles, it's getting annoying, and I'm starting to get mad!

Bought a new apartment mid-May, locks were changed meter room in early June, PSEG has the new keys. Since they've had the new keys, I've only gotten estimates which are over 100% more than actual. PSEG and the NJ Board of Public Utilities says estimates are based on previous years use, no matter who was the owner.

I've gotten into a routine of taking the actual meter reading then calling PSEG to report it since it's always outside their parameters of what can be reported online. This whole dog-and-pony show is BS. How do I fix it?!

rlb

Not exactly DIY but not sure where this goes. I'm having PSEG troubles, it's getting annoying, and I'm starting to get mad!

Bought a new apartment mid-May, locks were changed meter room in early June, PSEG has the new keys. Since they've had the new keys, I've only gotten estimates which are over 100% more than actual. PSEG and the NJ Board of Public Utilities says estimates are based on previous years use, no matter who was the owner.

I've gotten into a routine of taking the actual meter reading then calling PSEG to report it since it's always outside their parameters of what can be reported online. This whole dog-and-pony show is BS. How do I fix it?!

New meter so they can read it remotely, that was the fix for me. Or do it manually every month (gets lame). Electric was not a problem since my meter is outside. They replaced my gas meter over the winter with a remote unit which largely solved the problem. However I still get estimated bills now and then when they can't handle coming around to read the meters.

THATmanMANNY

Is a corroded car brake line fitting hard to repair? Assuming I can get it off.

First timer for this.

Where do I start? Any special tools I need? Do I need to replace the steel line too bc that be PITA

IMG_4135.JPG

rlb

Keep the couch and torch the car.

Get PB blaster and spray it once every day or so for about a week, that will help loosen the line nuts. Yes you need to replace the line because the nuts are held on by flared ends (see pic). Theoretically you could cut the line, put on a new nut, then re-flare (flare tool needed). But you would need some slack in the line (which you don't have) and most likely the nuts will twist the line and break it when you try to loosen them.

Why do you need to fix it, is it leaking? Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much...

3091_st.jpg

Patrick

Staff member
Is a corroded car brake line fitting hard to repair? Assuming I can get it off.

First timer for this.

Where do I start? Any special tools I need? Do I need to replace the steel line too bc that be PITA

View attachment 55736

if it is the lines - and only at the one spot - you rent/buy/borrow(hint) a double flare kit, and a few fittings, some short pieces of line, and a bender. Not
difficult - if along the length of the lines, there are many rust spots, pick up some line, and replace it end-to-end.

many look rusted but last forever.

THATmanMANNY

there is a big leak at the fitting in the center of the pic so it needs to be replaced. Brake pedal to the floor.

it looks to be just the fittings

above the fittings the lines are all coiled up (looks like a stretched out slinky). Maybe I can stretch it a bit and just attach a new fitting. I'll share a pic when I can

should prolly replace the one on the right too. The nut of the fitting is absolutely eaten away. Another failure waiting to happen.

Patrick

Staff member
there is a big leak at the fitting in the center of the pic so it needs to be replaced. Brake pedal to the floor.

it looks to be just the fittings

above the fittings the lines are all coiled up (looks like a stretched out slinky). Maybe I can stretch it a bit and just attach a new fitting. I'll share a pic when I can

should prolly replace the one on the right too. The nut of the fitting is absolutely eaten away. Another failure waiting to happen.

you might have a hard time getting the flare kit to lock to the line at the turn (since the fitting has to go on first, and won't go around the turn)

rlb

That's odd, never saw that before. However I can't say I'm a brake expert so maybe its supposed to be like that. What kind of car?

Top Bottom