The DIY thread - DIYourself

My childhood home had a coat closet converted into a powder room - it was built with a family bathroom upstairs, but i'm pretty sure that the outside was used extensively. It used a sink that protruded less than 10" from the wall. it was probably 3.5" deep, 2.5" wide.

code calls for
30" from drain-to-drain for fixtures.
15" from W.C. center to side walls
21" from front of W.C. to any wall/door

That being said, they may allow a variance for a couple inches - esp for a power room.

unless there is access to the side of that W.C. - reaching for the sink over the bowl would not work.

I always wanted to do one of those hanging w.c. where the tank was hidden in the wall - super low profile. Might be a solution with a small sink.

805.jpg

go to enough hotels in the UK or Asia and you'll understand
the three most expensive cities per square foot avg
1) Hong Kong $11K
2) Tokyo $8K
3) London $5K

you did not read that wrong, an average 500 sf apt in HK goes for over 5M, my brother lives there now and had to go to Tokyo to buy a house

also try to retrofit a powder room on the first floor in an old house

55553c81a31273e690c01431dae7415e.jpg
I thought you were looking to do this here . My plumber thought it was stupid to do in a country that we have to have so much and require so much useless space . I must have mis read it .

I thought you were looking to do this here . My plumber thought it was stupid to do in a country that we have to have so much and require so much useless space . I must have mis read it .

I was actually considering it for a retro fit bath here in the US. Many of the older duplexes only have one full bath on the second floor. While looking at a few rental properties, I've seen some poor attempts to carve a full bath within the kitchen. The older homes already have smaller kitchens and the full baths take up close to 20-30% of the original kitchen footprint. Making the bath as small as possible will allow for a reasonably sized kitchen. Is there a minimum code/guideline size for a shower bath? The reason I mentioned the UK and Asia prices is that they've mastered the art of making the most of small spaces. These tiny houses which have been popularized in the reality shows as of late has been the reality for some countries for over 40 years.

3rd coat.
I"m on the blue top stuff now.
i made my wife wipe the ceiling with a damp sponge to knock down the high spots. After an hour she was crying. I had 6 hours into this just last night.
i-JJkFCWR-X4.jpg

3rd coat.
I"m on the blue top stuff now.
i made my wife wipe the ceiling with a damp sponge to knock down the high spots. After an hour she was crying. I had 6 hours into this just last night.

Hate drywall, even more so on the ceiling. I commend you for using the quick stuff, I never have the balls for that so it always takes me days while waiting for the pre-mix crap to dry.

@qclabrat
About the smallest full bath is 5x8 maybe 4x8 driven by fixture separation and shower size.

Variance might be possible, most likely for an existing space.

Anyone know where to get a blank for a toggle switch like this? I removed 2 and I want to cover the holes. Radio shack is my first guess, I just haven't been able to get to the 1 remaining store around here.

IMG_20170218_100355.jpg

Anyone know where to get a blank for a toggle switch like this? I removed 2 and I want to cover the holes. Radio shack is my first guess, I just haven't been able to get to the 1 remaining store around here.

View attachment 47794

there is a small section at lowes that has this stuff. not sure if they will have the blank, but they have the switch.

@rlb Radioshack won't have it (though they do, surprisingly, still have a decent selection of electronics parts). Search online for a "rocker switch blank".

I would've suggested you go to Force Machinery, but...well, they closed years ago. Try calling/stopping by Penn Tool in Maplewood? They've got seconds/beat up stuff in the front that you can ogle at/make offers on, too, if you like that stuff.

View attachment 47794
Rob call Washington one stop , they have a bunch of stuff and prolly have that . It's in Warren county so a bit far for you

WP_20170220_16_30_48_Pro.jpg finally got a hitch rack after years on a Saris Bones

center mount on bumper is pretty rust rotted but guessing bolts to unibody is what's more important. Able to get the center bolts in with a breaker bar and the side where a tow hook was removed, but the other side which has exposed threads was much more difficult which threads were very rusted. Ended up cracking off the nut weld on one and also managed to get the socket stuck. Now the bolt is free spinning and can't get socket off. Two questions, how to get the socket extracted and any issue to only use one or two bolts on one side. I was able to get three on the other side.

WP_20170220_18_02_31_Pro.jpg

fun! put an extension on the socket, and break the socket. its guaranteed.
i'm going to guess you can't drive it out from above with a heavy punch?
might have some luck backing it out with a pry bar under the bolt, and using the ratchet - then you can punch the bolt out of the socket on a bench vise.
(or some air hammer attachment)

side grinder to take the head of the bolt off and drive it up. Use some sort of stainless anchor, or run a new set of threads for an oversized bolt?

use a wire brush for cleaning the inside of copper pipe, and some release agent to clean the threads on any other exposed hole.

no lock washer?

@Dusty the Whale is always a good source on this.

fun! put an extension on the socket, and break the socket. its guaranteed.
i'm going to guess you can't drive it out from above with a heavy punch?
might have some luck backing it out with a pry bar under the bolt, and using the ratchet - then you can punch the bolt out of the socket on a bench vise.
(or some air hammer attachment)

side grinder to take the head of the bolt off and drive it up. Use some sort of stainless anchor, or run a new set of threads for an oversized bolt?

use a wire brush for cleaning the inside of copper pipe, and some release agent to clean the threads on any other exposed hole.

no lock washer?

@Dusty the Whale is always a good source on this.
no access from above and free spinning and hanging since the threaded portion is above the sheet metal
I was running out of day light last night so skipped the thread cleaning, will do it today but not convinced the thread are beyond cleaning from corrosion so maybe just need some muscling
Closed to getting a torch there, but the thought of a red hot socket falling on me puts some senses back to me

Was thinking the same on the washers and anchor, as it did not come with the hardware, going to run over to HD and pick up some and look for options. The bolts are OEM ones from the other side. The hitch bolts are twice as long and would never thread through.

Back
Top Bottom