The DIY thread - DIYourself

rlb

Orange. A mess of a town. 25 percent is nice and the rest is a hole. They are probably used to landlords and contractors not actual homeowners

Yeah I'm sure that's what it is. Keep trying, maybe miss cranky will be on a smoke break one of those times.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
you must moved there for property tax rate....
Taxes still aren’t cheap. I bought there because of proximity to the city, and I’m literally on the south orange line and my house cost have of my neighbors. And we don’t have children, so schools don’t matter to us.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
good find there.
if not moving any electric or plumbing, nor changing a wall or opening, no permit.
new outlets, faucets, sinks, cabinets, floors, tile, light fixtures are all remodeling. have at it!
and pictures! we need pictures....

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's

qclabrat

Taxes still aren’t cheap. I bought there because of proximity to the city, and I’m literally on the south orange line and my house cost have of my neighbors. And we don’t have children, so schools don’t matter to us.
Yeah, that's what I meant, when we were almost married and looking, looked at West Orange. Blown away by the $20k taxes for a 500k house. You get a lot of house for the money but pay it back in taxes which you'll never recoup.

Jmann

Yeah, that's what I meant, when we were almost married and looking, looked at West Orange. Blown away by the $20k taxes for a 500k house. You get a lot of house for the money but pay it back in taxes which you'll never recoup.
Fortunately my taxes aren’t anywhere that expensive, but it is frustrating knowing that your getting very little in return. We are probably going to sell once after I finish the kitchen and attic. Take the profit and run.

Patrick

Staff member
i couldn't find the "stuff you find when remodeling" thread - so i'll throw this in here.

I was stripping a bearing wall, in prep for replacing it with a single beam. A previous "professional" had added a pass through.

IMG_1584.JPG

when i got in there, i found two buried electrical connection "floating" in stud cavity, and no header. Nice job.

IMG_1907.JPG

the duct tape wrap was a nice touch.

oh, current ugly stage 1 demo.

IMG_1909.JPG

Last edited:

serviceguy

i couldn't find the "stuff you find when remodeling" thread - so i'll throw this in here.

I was stripping a bearing wall, in prep for replacing it with a single beam. A previous "professional" had added a pass through.

View attachment 76260

when i got in there, i found two buried electrical connection "floating" in stud cavity, and no header. Nice job.

View attachment 76261

the duct tape wrap was a nice touch.

oh, current ugly stage 1 demo.

View attachment 76262
I think I beat that, my kitchen wall did not have a frame at all.

At the same time I was remodeling the kitchen, my boss had contractors re-doing his bathroom. When they opened the wall they found boxes connected with extension cords inside. Unbelievable.

Jmann

Speaking of things found renovating: last night I had a friend stop by to get a more experienced opinion on a couple issues before I start finishing my kitchen. I’ve got rot in joists and plate from a previous upstairs bathroom leak and wanted his advice in reinforcing it. He said I had to bite the bullet and cut out part of the rotted plate which means I need to build a temporary wall while switching in a new plate. While looking at that we realized that the entire wall doesn’t have any support in the basement. There was likely a wall that was removed when the basement was finished but removed to widen the stairs. Two floors and the roof line are sitting on that wall. So I will have to jack up from the basement and put a supporting wall in.35ACCE7B-6A53-47EB-86B0-8754846B87C2.jpeg

Patrick

Staff member
Speaking of things found renovating: last night I had a friend stop by to get a more experienced opinion on a couple issues before I start finishing my kitchen. I’ve got rot in joists and plate from a previous upstairs bathroom leak and wanted his advice in reinforcing it. He said I had to bite the bullet and cut out part of the rotted plate which means I need to build a temporary wall while switching in a new plate. While looking at that we realized that the entire wall doesn’t have any support in the basement. There was likely a wall that was removed when the basement was finished but removed to widen the stairs. Two floors and the roof line are sitting on that wall. So I will have to jack up from the basement and put a supporting wall in.View attachment 76364

i'd also note that is the wrong fernco fitting on the plumbing, an exposed coupler needs to be banded.
and that any reduction should be done on a vertical (although i think that is a code violation also) - otherwise it creates a shoulder inside the pipe
for crap to get caught/water to sit..

gl with the project!!!

Jmann

i'd also note that is the wrong fernco fitting on the plumbing, an exposed coupler needs to be banded.
and that any reduction should be done on a vertical (although i think that is a code violation also) - otherwise it creates a shoulder inside the pipe
for crap to get caught/water to sit..

gl with the project!!!
At this point if it doesn’t leak I’d rather just leave it. I’ve still got a leak in the sink drain a couple feet over in the wall. I have a couple plumber friends, hope to have at least one of them look over everything before I rock the walls.

serviceguy

Speaking of things found renovating: last night I had a friend stop by to get a more experienced opinion on a couple issues before I start finishing my kitchen. I’ve got rot in joists and plate from a previous upstairs bathroom leak and wanted his advice in reinforcing it. He said I had to bite the bullet and cut out part of the rotted plate which means I need to build a temporary wall while switching in a new plate. While looking at that we realized that the entire wall doesn’t have any support in the basement. There was likely a wall that was removed when the basement was finished but removed to widen the stairs. Two floors and the roof line are sitting on that wall. So I will have to jack up from the basement and put a supporting wall in.View attachment 76364

I-beam in the basement if you want to retain the open space.

That picture was taken after the cutting I suppose? What was supporting the lighter colored studs?

Jmann

I-beam in the basement if you want to retain the open space.

That picture was taken after the cutting I suppose? What was supporting the lighter colored studs?
The lighter colored boards were 2x6s crappily sistered to the joists when the shower stall was installed above it at some point. They weren’t doing much.

Top Bottom