The DIY thread - DIYourself

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
alternatively, load up your truck and drive to @Jmanns house, he can take it in for ya!

If your in Essex or union county it’s the waste management dump in Elizabeth. Not sure about other counties.

we have weekly bulk pickup and they take pretty much whatever you put on the curb, its nice

serviceguy

Moar pond work, non stop things to do in the spring
View attachment 69847
Finished the infinity bog filter redo, still need to the ornamental rocks
View attachment 69848
Putting in a second bog to empty in the waterfall. The bogs are designed to filter out the ammonia from the fish and contributes to the nitrogen cycle for healthy water.
View attachment 69849
3 fish died since putting in the pond last summer. Just added in 18 small fish.
View attachment 69850
Moar pond work, non stop things to do in the spring
View attachment 69847
Finished the infinity bog filter redo, still need to the ornamental rocks
View attachment 69848
Putting in a second bog to empty in the waterfall. The bogs are designed to filter out the ammonia from the fish and contributes to the nitrogen cycle for healthy water.
View attachment 69849
3 fish died since putting in the pond last summer. Just added in 18 small fish.
View attachment 69850

qclabrat, how are you dealing with the overflow from your pond?

We're under torrential rain right now and we noticed our neighbor working around his pond about an hour ago. Next thing you know there's a river running on the edge of our property washing away what little grass we have there. I went David Livingston on the newly created creek and found a little fall had formed where a few of the stones were missing from the pile that he originally made up to support the black plastic tarp that makes his pond...I am wondering if this is normal or even legal and what would be a reasonable way to deal with it. We don't have a perfect grass as we haven't got to complete the beatification of the property after the heavy restructuring of our floor and foundations, nevertheless we would like to get there eventually and having a creek running through the property wasn't exactly on the plan...at the same time I don't want to sound petty, but when the rain is gone I am sure there will be a nice gigantic pond of mud along the property line. No bueno!

Kaleidopete

Ha...neighbors...hard to deal with. My neighbor sent all their gutter water onto my property via piping 7 years agoBonnie water 2011_01.jpg

Bonnie water 2011_02.jpg
I mentioned it to them and they said , so? That's it, too bad. So now I have a small river during rains and
it makes a small lake at the edge of my property. It's just "too bad for me". Not that it matters a whole lot.

qclabrat

qclabrat, how are you dealing with the overflow from your pond?

We're under torrential rain right now and we noticed our neighbor working around his pond about an hour ago. Next thing you know there's a river running on the edge of our property washing away what little grass we have there. I went David Livingston on the newly created creek and found a little fall had formed where a few of the stones were missing from the pile that he originally made up to support the black plastic tarp that makes his pond...I am wondering if this is normal or even legal and what would be a reasonable way to deal with it. We don't have a perfect grass as we haven't got to complete the beatification of the property after the heavy restructuring of our floor and foundations, nevertheless we would like to get there eventually and having a creek running through the property wasn't exactly on the plan...at the same time I don't want to sound petty, but when the rain is gone I am sure there will be a nice gigantic pond of mud along the property line. No bueno!
I've been away for 2 weeks but my in-laws have been watching my pond for me and no mention of overflow. My waterfall seems to eat water quite a bit with spray. I also have a spill over on one side, though I haven't put in a grate to trap the fish.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Went down to city hall to get a construction permit, was told I need a licensed contractor to do all my electric and plumbing. The woman at the desk told me if I change my cabinets I have to change my outlets to “gcf’s” (I said you mean gfci’s? She said “THEY ARE CALLED GCF’s”). Also if I replace my sink I need a plumber to install it. What kind of works won’t let a man install his own sink?! Also, I thought state law allows a homeowner to do his own work as long as it’s inspected?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Went down to city hall to get a construction permit, was told I need a licensed contractor to do all my electric and plumbing. The woman at the desk told me if I change my cabinets I have to change my outlets to “gcf’s” (I said you mean gfci’s? She said “THEY ARE CALLED GCF’s”). Also if I replace my sink I need a plumber to install it. What kind of works won’t let a man install his own sink?! Also, I thought state law allows a homeowner to do his own work as long as it’s inspected?

Are you in a condo? or multi-dwelling? Connected buildings (rowhouse)
if so, anything that isn't a fixture requires a licensed pro.
Fixtures do not require a permit to be replaced. Cabinets do not require a permit.

GCF - math TLA for greatest common factor. hmm - gfi/gfci and yes, do this anyway - and that doesn't require a permit if the box doesn't move.

what else are you changing?

Jmann

Are you in a condo? or multi-dwelling? Connected buildings (rowhouse)
if so, anything that isn't a fixture requires a licensed pro.
Fixtures do not require a permit to be replaced. Cabinets do not require a permit.

GCF - math TLA for greatest common factor. hmm - gfi/gfci and yes, do this anyway - and that doesn't require a permit if the box doesn't move.

what else are you changing?
I’m in a single family/owner occupied. So as far as I know I should be able to do the work. I was planning on replacing everything I can get to with the walls gutted. I wasn’t to keen on permits but we think we might sell sooner than we intended so I don’t want any headaches.

Jmann

Basically the deal with the outlets from the towns perspective is- if you change cabinets your forced to hire an electrician. Which is bs. I think they are mistaken.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I’m in a single family/owner occupied. So as far as I know I should be able to do the work. I was planning on replacing everything I can get to with the walls gutted. I wasn’t to keen on permits but we think we might sell sooner than we intended so I don’t want any headaches.

unless it is something specific in your town, you can do all of the work. call zoning, rather than building - i think they can help with clarification.

Our guys will require a licensed pro if it is f-k'd up the first time they come to inspect. i've also had multiple projects going, and asked the inspectors for "proper" methods.
One even looked-up some pipe sizing for me, cause i failed for undersized gas line.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Why would pull a permit if you planned to do the work yourself in first place? The only reason to pull is to cover your ass from shotty contractors. If you are moving walls or installing new structures ie. Finished basement then there is no need for a permit.

rlb

Why would pull a permit if you planned to do the work yourself in first place? The only reason to pull is to cover your ass from shotty contractors. If you are moving walls or installing new structures ie. Finished basement then there is no need for a permit.

So you don't have to disclose unpermitted electrical or plumbing work when you sell the house. That would be a big red flag for me as a buyer. I've seen first hand in my house what it looks like when someone who doesn't know WTF they're doing starts playing with wires.

rlb

Basically the deal with the outlets from the towns perspective is- if you change cabinets your forced to hire an electrician. Which is bs. I think they are mistaken.

What town are you in? Bridgewater is pretty friendly to DIY homeowners, I've had several permitted DIY electrical projects. I would ask them what ordinance or code reference requires an electrician or plumber.

Jmann

So you don't have to disclose unpermitted electrical or plumbing work when you sell the house. That would be a big red flag for me as a buyer. I've seen first hand in my house what it looks like when someone who doesn't know WTF they're doing starts playing with wires.
This. Basically the only reason.

Reactions: rlb

Jmann

What town are you in? Bridgewater is pretty friendly to DIY homeowners, I've had several permitted DIY electrical projects. I would ask them what ordinance or code reference requires an electrician or plumber.
Orange. A mess of a town. 25 percent is nice and the rest is a hole. They are probably used to landlords and contractors not actual homeowners

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's what home inspections are for when buying so you better spend the quality time searching for the right home inspection company. And I say this with peace and love if you as a home owner feel the need to have your work inspected then you probably shouldn't be doing it.

rlb

That's what home inspections are for when buying so you better spend the quality time searching for the right home inspection company. And I say this with peace and love if you as a home owner feel the need to have your work inspected then you probably shouldn't be doing it.

I had my home inspected before buying, there was no way they were going to find the taped splices (no box) or buried boxes I found when I started renovating. The building inspections I've had were all formalities. Even if I was looking for someone to check my work that's not what happens in my town. For roughs they check for the presence of ground wires. Finals they plug in the tester to make sure outlets are grounded. It's all CYA.

Top Bottom