The DIY thread - DIYourself

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looking to take a fat bike to Daytona or Indy? @shrpshtr325

lol as fun as that sounds, nope. That was purchased for me on our way out of the pocono race a few years ago, still havent figured out what im going to do with it, came off the 48 car (who won that day) LF iirc without going downstairs to check (yes they mark them all as they come off)

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I decided to tackle my back door replace. Right now my snag is I need another inch in height. I can try to chip away the plaster/ mud up top or change the sill plate and drop down. Sill is already incorrect as it's angled but I'm not sure on details...
Put some sort of moisture barrier under?
Use a treated wood I'd assume, but is that paintable in the long run?
C: none of the above?

Cheers!

IMG_6569.JPGIMG_6578.JPGIMG_6579.JPGIMG_6580.JPG

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ah the old 4 layers of flooring problem.
Buy a pre hung solid wood door without integrated seals on the threshold. Build up thresh hold and custom fit. This of course way before you determine the real RO. You maybe lucky.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ah the old 4 layers of flooring problem.
Buy a pre hung solid wood door without integrated seals on the threshold. Build up thresh hold and custom fit. This of course way before you determine the real RO. You maybe lucky.

After some looking changing the threshold doesn't seem like the worst option, but it sounds like you suggest otherwise. howcome?
I coulda just got a slab but they are vaporware with glass.

Oh, the height problem is the rough opening, not the floor clearance.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I decided to tackle my back door replace. Right now my snag is I need another inch in height. I can try to chip away the plaster/ mud up top or change the sill plate and drop down. Sill is already incorrect as it's angled but I'm not sure on details...
Put some sort of moisture barrier under?
Use a treated wood I'd assume, but is that paintable in the long run?
C: none of the above?

Cheers!

View attachment 69594View attachment 69595View attachment 69596View attachment 69597
Trim 1/2" off the top and bottom of the door?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Trim 1/2" off the top and bottom of the door?

The prehung doors are a "system" with seals and such. No real mods available, if you did hack it you'd lose a lot of the insulating properties.

The sill in place is angled and the door won't sit correctly anyway, and is well worn. Right now replacing it seems like the least terrible option unless Matty says otherwise.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That pic I see looks like almost 1 1/2" from floor finish to threshold. You want your door height to be the same. Otherwise it's just another weekend warrior mistake. Many exterior doors come with adjustable sweep/thresholds I am telling to not get that but one you can make work for your situation. Aka no box store door.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So instead of making the house fit the door, find a door setup that fits the house? I can see that if I'm reading it right.

Fwiw I added the floating floor. Used to be glue on tile.

I removed the (terminology) step or saddle the current wood door had which added maybe 1/2 - 3/4 inch of height onto the threshold. It's actually less awkward without it fwiw

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So instead of making the house fit the door, find a door setup that fits the house? I can see that if I'm reading it right.

Fwiw I added the floating floor. Used to be glue on tile.

I removed the (terminology) step or saddle the current wood door had which added maybe 1/2 - 3/4 inch of height onto the threshold. It's actually less awkward without it fwiw
That's the awkwardness, flow is like your favorite trail so should your property. Dont do standard where standard is not acceptable. Make the auidable and custom your situation. It's not gonna break the bank and you can do this, I know...

qclabrat

Moar pond work, non stop things to do in the spring
IMG_20180531_200652.jpg
Finished the infinity bog filter redo, still need to the ornamental rocks
IMG_20180522_194707.jpg
Putting in a second bog to empty in the waterfall. The bogs are designed to filter out the ammonia from the fish and contributes to the nitrogen cycle for healthy water.
IMG_20180530_174811.jpg
3 fish died since putting in the pond last summer. Just added in 18 small fish.
IMG_20180531_192536.jpg

qclabrat

Ideas to fix a old contactor problem. In-laws had the floors redone and the gap between the tiles and base is about a half inch. IMG_20180603_151340.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Stupid question - is the w.c. level? and the floor is that much out?
it is a challenge to get that far out in such a small distance.

reset tiles under w.c. use smaller tiles to go from level under the w.c. to the level of the tiles around them.

Top Bottom