The DIY thread - DIYourself

w_b

SInce we are on the masonry tack, I've got some deteriorating block/stucco walls lining my driveway. Not surprisingly, my wife wants to tear everything out and go new. Yeah, right. My Benjamin-Printer is busted.
I want to kick this down the road a few years with a cheap DIY patch. So far, my plan is to pack it with quickdry cee-ment and smoke a few cigars while it cures. I recognize this may not be the best plan. Looking for opinions and / or guidance on lipstick color for this pig:

IMG_2042[1].JPG

Last edited:

qclabrat

SInce we are on the masonry tack, I've got some deteriorating block/stucco walls lining my driveway. Not surprisingly, my wife wants to tear everything out and go new. Yeah, right. My Benjamin-Printer is busted.
I want to kick this down the road a few years with a cheap DIY patch. So far, my plan is to pack it with quickdry cee-ment and smoke a few cigars while it cures. I recognize this may not be the best plan. Looking for opinions and / or guidance on lipstick color for this pig:

View attachment 68917
what's underneath? all cement or concrete blocks

RobW

View attachment 68917
first step- expose the crater from top, remove all loose stuff. then put some forms up to retain fresh concrete. it wont be perfect at first. then when you are done filling in the craters, get a morter/stucco mix and skim coat the sides and top. finish off with paint! VIOLA!

Mountain Bike Mike

View attachment 68917

Signed up for this fix... will watch you waste you time and some money only to cave to the wife’s demand.... Good Luck

w_b

what's underneath? all cement or concrete blocks

Blocks
first step- expose the crater from top, remove all loose stuff. then put some forms up to retain fresh concrete. it wont be perfect at first. then when you are done filling in the craters, get a morter/stucco mix and skim coat the sides and top. finish off with paint! VIOLA!

This may work better than my plan, sounds reasonably easy too. Thanks.

Signed up for this fix... will watch you waste you time and some money only to cave to the wife’s demand.... Good Luck

I see what you did with the word "cave". Yes this is undoubtedly the safest approach, but Benjamins ...

qclabrat

Rebarred and cemented the pond bog walls, took about 20hrs, not fun and rain not helping. Lilies coming in the mail so need to refill and start up filters. Anyone know where to get lava rock in bulk? Need it for filtration substrate on the bottom and will lighten the load on the walls
IMG_20180514_201026.jpgIMG_20180517_202628.jpg

qclabrat

i assume youre going to backfill that wall?
fill back with pea gravel, about 3 yards instead of 5. Was hoping to add lava rocks on the bottom to help with the bio generation process to consume the ammonia in the water. Will this make a turtle/frog/plant bog instead to supply/filter the pond, which means about 8 inches of water instead of gravel all the way to the top. Pond is about 1500 gallons, this bog about 400 gallons but be adding a second bog to supply the waterfall which is about 200 gallons. Need that much bog surface with plants to properly clean the pond water. Shit looks so much easier to do in videos...

RobW

fill back with pea gravel, about 3 yards instead of 5. Was hoping to add lava rocks on the bottom to help with the bio generation process to consume the ammonia in the water. Will this make a turtle/frog/plant bog instead to supply/filter the pond, which means about 8 inches of water instead of gravel all the way to the top. Pond is about 1500 gallons, this bog about 400 gallons but be adding a second bog to supply the waterfall which is about 200 gallons. Need that much bog surface with plants to properly clean the pond water. Shit looks so much easier to do in videos...
My concern was support for the wall you built. Cross beams against your patio would help retain that wall. A wall with consistent pressure against it will fail. Unless it is built as a retaining wall

qclabrat

My concern was support for the wall you built. Cross beams against your patio would help retain that wall. A wall with consistent pressure against it will fail. Unless it is built as a retaining wall
can you clarify what you mean by cross beams against the patio?

qclabrat

that is a patio where the stone is right? what goes in where the pvs pip is? water? is water on both sides of new wall?View attachment 69090
Not sure how to do it since the bog is essentially a concrete foundation with an EPDM rubber liner dropped in. No where to connect the cross beams without putting holes in the liner. Will see if there's a way to brace it in the front then attached to the deck (not a patio) like a frame.

RobW

Not sure how to do it since the bog is essentially a concrete foundation with an EPDM rubber liner dropped in. No where to connect the cross beams without putting holes in the liner. Will see if there's a way to brace it in the front then attached to the deck (not a patio) like a frame.
Drill holes through block and run threaded rod if need be. Metal plate on each side of block with nuts securing to block. On deck section do something similar.

rlb

Decided to tackle the bearing on my POS trailer today. First order of business was hitting the spindle with emory paper so the bearing goes on freely. Not quite sure how the old bearings were installed, but it wasn't by hand. Got the outside section polished up and the bearing slides over it nicely. I didn't bother with the inside since I still had the remainder of the old bearing to deal with.

I hit that with the air chisel from the back. All that did was beat up the seal shaft, but no big deal since it was already pretty well scoured. I hit the side of the bearing which chipped it (good thing I was wearing my goggles, it went straight to the face). Another couple of taps and the whole thing cracked then slid right off.

$25 later, I have a redi sleeve and new seal on the way from rock auto. I should be hauling branches again in no time....

IMG_20180519_164418.jpg

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
spent some time this morning fixing our washing machine, we have a samsung which is prone to a "dC" error code on the display, this code indicates an out of balance condidtion and has been an intermittent issue for a couple weeks. Friday it started to do it EVERY SINGLE time it would go into the final spin cycle. Turns out the suspension rods that were installed are prone to wearing out and have been super-ceded by a heavier duty suspension rod.

Attachments

• 20180520_112955.jpg
    20180520_112955.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20180520_113333.jpg
    20180520_113333.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20180520_114802.jpg
    20180520_114802.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180520_131950.jpg
    20180520_131950.jpg