The Day Of The Groundhog

Day 5 of CarbModeration

Moderation sucks.

Jet lagged this weekend despite not traveling, perhaps the Midnite call from the spouse that she was stuck at Logan Airport might explain it. On the upside the drive from Plainfield to downtown Boston was less than four hours.

Zero energy to ride until I catch up on Zzz's.

Another suburban logging expedition this week. Reasonably high stress endeavor.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The net result was no lives were lost, monies were spent and in a few weeks we'll see what the four logs from the tree trunk yield

W

i've got an oak in front of my house that has to come down. trunk is straight.
can i make $$$? i can buck the branches, so it isn't really a tree job.

i've got an oak in front of my house that has to come down. trunk is straight.
can i make $$$? i can buck the branches, so it isn't really a tree job.

My experience is with spending money ( -$$$ ) to remove a tree and create lumber. If you had a black walnut or a cherry it would be a no brainer. For oak if it were a white oak ( rather than red/black/scarlet/turkey etc ) it might be viable especially if large, clean, iron-free and if we're able to be brought down without a crane and if a truck with a grappler could pick it up.

Non-trivial.

-W

pin oak - can be dropped cleanly in one piece, and picked up - no wires.
i can drop it, clean it up. then just have someone come by and pick up the goodies?

i don't want to split the trunk is part of it!

pin oak - can be dropped cleanly in one piece, and picked up - no wires.
i can drop it, clean it up. then just have someone come by and pick up the goodies?

i don't want to split the trunk is part of it!

I don't know anyone who would be interested. Since you are doing all the hard work perhaps you may find the right person out there ( esp if the diameter was 30"+ and two or more 9' logs could be picked up directly by a grappler ) perhaps NJ forestry might know someone locally who buys logs....

I declare 2017 officially started.

Not much noteworthy on the bike thus far.

Did clean my SS for the first time in a year and discover I had the wrong cog in for the past six months. Just stepped down from 16T to 18T until I lose some tonnage.

On that note I'll try and focus on nutrition.

Currently 20 lbs up from my low weight of the year. The battle against sugar and carbs has begun.

IMG_2528.PNG

This graph clearly indicates that frequent weighing is strongly correlated to low body weight and less frequent weighing increases body weight.

Looks to be an awesome weekend to bike.

W

did you go for a colonoscopy in july? that is some outlier!

Go get it. it is 2017 - time to ride.
Looks like the down trend has started.

Holy cow, I am always amazed at people's weight swings throughout the year. Honest question, do you have different pants for winter and summer? (assuming you wear pants to work and not shorts in the summer)

IMG_3003.PNG

Getting a healthy diet has been a challenge thus far this year, so mostly using the 'fat pants' end of the wardrobe....

Saratoga 400k (plus)

Any ride that starts at 1am is likely right up my alley and this was no exception.

Showed up at the Start/Finish in Westfield Mass at midnight, with approx eight other crazy people. One difference was everyone else looked way over-dressed, legs covered and many layers. I planned for a temp range of 50-75 degrees ( shorts, thin base shirt, short sleeve jersey and arm warmers ) by start time it was 50 degrees and I was cold from standing around. My plan was to go with 42x17 gearing to be able stay with a group through the first half of the ride. Plan went out the window as I launched at the start and tried to quickly get to the hills and warm up. Only one turn in the first 40 miles and oodles of climbing. I did not see anyone else from the ride for the next 8.5 hours. One of the best parts of the ride was the next few hours biking in complete darkness and ripping down hills where I could not see anything other than a tiny spot of light from the headlight. Temps dropped to the point that I was not warming up on the climbs and shivering on the looong downhills was starting to get dangerous. Soon enough however the sun rose I got out of the hills and temps climbed. Uneventful ride to Saratoga, awesome long 'lunch' at 9:30am and spun back to the 190 mile checkpoint and the climbs that were fun 12 hours earlier were very tough grinds on the way back, 42x17 made sure of that. Final 20 miles were downhill but now the feet and hands were screaming due to ride duration.

IMG_3043.JPG

Back to the start at 6:50pm with perfect weather and the plan was to tack on a 50 mile loop to Amherst but got last minute advice against that and to instead hop on the new bike trail to Hartford Conn. Trail was beautiful and pretty effortless but I was very uncomfortable not matter what I did so I just attempted to tune out the discomfort. :-(

IMG_3045.JPG

With 7 miles to go after 10pm, still deep in the woods my bottom bracket started a death rattle and began seizing. Glad I am not the crying type or it may have gotten ugly. It was dark and again cold out. Had back pedal and un-jam the BB many times in the final half hour but finally arrived back at my hotel at ( corrected typo ) 11pm. Garmin 1000 and extra battery worked perfectly as did my L&M lights. Showered, changed and did a Taco Bell run at 12:30am. Good day indeed.

IMG_3049.jpg

Last edited:
holy Batman, single speed, hundreds of miles and elevation, bravo

did you happen to see another rider named Tim? Brother of a friend

Back
Top Bottom