The Day Of The Groundhog

bigW

Gonna hit Bubble cross day-of reg tomorrow and hope the clocks getting set back allows for a commute or two before the year is over.

Was looking at a Plainfield map from 1895 and discovered that my house is nearly on top of a velodrome site....

image.jpg

Gonna have to get myself some Crescent Wheelmen kit....

image.jpg

-W

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm surprised you haven't had to fight off random attacks on your home from descendants of the CW.

bigW

Need to try something different through the cold months, starting every April super heavy and out of shape is a real drag at age 52.

This winters plan : work with a personal trainer twice a week to get some routine started at the gym. Without some structure I have been unable to get motivated to enter the gym.

First two weeks have been promising, all sorts of things hurt which is all I could hope for....

Biked out to PA for the weekend. The good news on Friday was no tornadic crosswinds....

image.jpg

The only thing more I could have wished for in this sunset pic was to be 20 miles closer to Northhampton PA. Wind made me question the wisdom of piling all my worldly possessions onto the bike Jed Clampett style.

Ride back on Sunday was more pleasant.

image.jpg

Plan to hit the gym tomorrow.

-W

bigW

Took advantage of a quiet holiday week to sneak in a commute that was not entirely in the dark.

Biking home thru Newark tonight 'Nutrition' came to mind:

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think Bobby Flay would have his ass handed to him in a throw-down with these icons.

For sure his chicken would taste better but he is annoying and would quickly be beaten senseless and robbed. I do not patronize these establishments while wearing Lycra so no transfats until I got home.

I hate to complain about the cold before December but it felt quite chilly today.

-W

bigW

Mileage for the year is 7,500. Hoping the moderate weather lasts and I can make it to 8,000.

Tried to research the Plainfield Crescent Wheelmen but did not come up with much. There seem to be many cycling clubs with the same name in 1894-1900, I assume due to the popularity of Crescent bike company product ( such as the 20 pound 'Scorcher' bike )

Two 'interesting' ads, the first for what appears to be a shaft drive bike...

image.jpg

Might just be me but second ad seems to extol the Joy of Cycling

image.jpg

bigW

Nutrition:

Have been getting the correct amount of protein, fiber, fluids and fat. Carb intake is off the hook however. Purchased a Withings Bluetooth enable scale to perhaps create a documentation trail of shame to discourage multi day bake-o-binges.

Training:

Aiming for 8,500 miles and 60 commutes this year. Not much time on the MTB and only two CX races. Started some basic core strength work with a personal trainer as every muscle not bike related needs a complete overhaul.

Bathroom Remodelling:

Chaos just in time for the Holidays.

image.jpg
image.jpg

That's the Trifecta right there.....

Warren

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i solved the guilt-tracking scale problem by never stepping on it after the July push.

Nice job on the miles!
And of course, gl with the bathroom, cause that is what we are about around here.....
So just out of curiosity, is the camera laying on the ceiling of the entry way, or did this get project creep into the foyer?

bigW

i solved the guilt-tracking scale problem by never stepping on it after the July push.

Nice job on the miles!
And of course, gl with the bathroom, cause that is what we are about around here.....
So just out of curiosity, is the camera laying on the ceiling of the entry way, or did this get project creep into the foyer?

Bathroom floor ( mud job ) and foyer ceiling had to go. Beams have been installed, should be 'go' for a new floor with a curb-less shower.

Project creep will be kept to a bare minimum.

W

bigW

Nutrition : shit.
Training : shit.
Bathroom remodeling:

Insulation sprayed :

image.jpg

Floor structure for curbless shower done :

image.jpg

W

bigW

Progress on the bathroom remodeling

image.jpeg

And my hi tech scale has assured me that I am making nice progress. Looks like I'm trending to be over 190 lbs in time for HoH.

image.jpeg

Not sure how weighing myself more often will help me lose weight but I'll give it a try. ;-)

W

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
needs an extension on the shower head to reach the W.C.
squeaky clean.

Looks great!

bigW

Life has been very busy and training program is running on 5 of 8 cylinders. I did however sneak in two notable rides this week.

Last Saturday I spent a full day ( mostly sitting on someone else's back wheel ) doing TheLongestDay. 14 hours from Port Jervis to Cape May ( 208 miles, 11:48 moving time ). Skipped the monument as we were just there two weeks prior. Holy hell the Pine Barrens are mind numbing. The legs are not used to 100% duty cycle where there is no pause in pedaling for three hours at a clip.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This weekend totally different story. Was gonna visit a peep in Pittsburg and do Hilly Billy Roubaix in Morgantown WV. Was expecting a ride like HoH but less paved roads. Not at all what was in store for me. Pre-race foreshadowing was the sheer number of super-skinny riders, perhaps 5% MTB's.

Very extreme ride. Very steep gravel/mud climbs in traffic, very steep descents with super-sized gravel. The first 25 miles were brutal, including a crazy 1/2 mile of surreal mud and the deepest puddles I have ever seen (super fun). I pressed the tricross commuter into service with 35c cross tires, as it turns out anything with less volume would have been a huge mistake.

Sun was blasting out there, between that and sky high HR, I was on the verge of overheating/vomiting for the next 25 miles (thankfully mostly paved roads). All the technical punchy climbs took a huge toll on the legs. My small chain ring was bent and I could not use the 27 tooth cog in the cassette or chain would drop, rear brake would not longer release once applied. Mud everywhere two water crossing were knee deep with the bike shouldered.

The last 25 miles was a heat/nausea grind. I had started dead last and was steadily passing people, every steep gravel uphill had many many people walking it, I sat and suffered but kept passing. I drank 90% of my water at the rest stops, while riding I just used it to pour on my back/neck. Almost ate shit on a few steep descents where I just did not have enough total braking force (tired muddy cantilevers ) to keep from accelerating. The base of the final monster hill was a top ten near-miss that would have been a very bad wreck.

Looking at the temp on the garmin I was shocked that the temps were not in the 90s for the whole race. Took an hour or longer to cool off after the race. Legs felt good and even gave a tow to two MTB riding peeps in the final two mile flat road run.

Finished 15th in Men Masters 50+ ( perhaps 50 registered )

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/620865120

Toughest ride that I have ever done. I made a vow if I did not die out there to get Mini-V brakes, if anyone has advice on that lemme know. Good to be alive.

W

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 194

Pampa

Life has been very busy and training program is running on 5 of 8 cylinders. I did however sneak in two notable rides this week.

Last Saturday I spent a full day ( mostly sitting on someone else's back wheel ) doing TheLongestDay. 14 hours from Port Jervis to Cape May ( 208 miles, 11:48 moving time ). Skipped the monument as we were just there two weeks prior. Holy hell the Pine Barrens are mind numbing. The legs are not used to 100% duty cycle where there is no pause in pedaling for three hours at a clip.

View attachment 37001

View attachment 37002

This weekend totally different story. Was gonna visit a peep in Pittsburg and do Hilly Billy Roubaix in Morgantown WV. Was expecting a ride like HoH but less paved roads. Not at all what was in store for me. Pre-race foreshadowing was the sheer number of super-skinny riders, perhaps 5% MTB's.

Very extreme ride. Very steep gravel/mud climbs in traffic, very steep descents with super-sized gravel. The first 25 miles were brutal, including a crazy 1/2 mile of surreal mud and the deepest puddles I have ever seen (super fun). I pressed the tricross commuter into service with 35c cross tires, as it turns out anything with less volume would have been a huge mistake.

Sun was blasting out there, between that and sky high HR, I was on the verge of overheating/vomiting for the next 25 miles (thankfully mostly paved roads). All the technical punchy climbs took a huge toll on the legs. My small chain ring was bent and I could not use the 27 tooth cog in the cassette or chain would drop, rear brake would not longer release once applied. Mud everywhere two water crossing were knee deep with the bike shouldered.

The last 25 miles was a heat/nausea grind. I had started dead last and was steadily passing people, every steep gravel uphill had many many people walking it, I sat and suffered but kept passing. I drank 90% of my water at the rest stops, while riding I just used it to pour on my back/neck. Almost ate shit on a few steep descents where I just did not have enough total braking force (tired muddy cantilevers ) to keep from accelerating. The base of the final monster hill was a top ten near-miss that would have been a very bad wreck.

Looking at the temp on the garmin I was shocked that the temps were not in the 90s for the whole race. Took an hour or longer to cool off after the race. Legs felt good and even gave a tow to two MTB riding peeps in the final two mile flat road run.

View attachment 37003

View attachment 37004

View attachment 37005

View attachment 37006

View attachment 37008

View attachment 37009

Toughest ride that I have ever done. I made a vow if I did not die out there to get Mini-V brakes, if anyone has advice on that lemme know. Good to be alive.

W

Congrats! Truly an epic ride. I like the shot of the suffer score

UnionRider475

View attachment 37001

View attachment 37002

View attachment 37003

View attachment 37004

View attachment 37005

View attachment 37006

View attachment 37008

View attachment 37009

W

Hey is that 3rd guy from the left Dave Kavanaugh?

Top Bottom