The Amusement Bike Park

TimBay

also that lack of cover plate on the outlet is annoying me.
I have a extras at home, come by and I'll leave in my mailbox...
Haha. It was poorly mounted and I shorted it a while back just leaning on it a little. So i jad to cut into the wall and find the short and fix it (old cloth bx) I actually have plates and should cover it. I kind of need major work on my garage. It was damaged during sandy before we moved here and its also leaning a bit due to cobtact with dirt in thw back kessing everything up. It's honestly sort of a tear down but its useful space with resale value.

Holy fat finger typing Batman. Sheesh

TimBay

Believe it or not there are these places called "local bike shops" that can take care of all this nonsense. Just saying
But I want to learn how to do stuff myself. Plus, this is a beginner bike. I figure I can mess things up and learn from the experiences. Some minor upgrades to learn what I like and don't like and when I eventually upgrade to something more expensive, I'll have a better understanding of what I like and how to manage it. At least that's the plan.

RobW

But I want to learn how to do stuff myself. Plus, this is a beginner bike. I figure I can mess things up and learn from the experiences. Some minor upgrades to learn what I like and don't like and when I eventually upgrade to something more expensive, I'll have a better understanding of what I like and how to manage it. At least that's the plan.
don't worry, @rick81721 only knows how to change a tube...

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think it's either that or new chain, right? I might just snag another master link today and see if that at least solves the issue rubbing... Then I can just order a new chain. It's funny how taking the pics, it seemed like the derailleur is less out of whack and I noticed more how far stretched it was for the 46t. That said, I'm getting the grinding on the lowest 4 gears, not just the 46...could that still be because of chain length?
Did you set limit screws with chain off? Again, chain tends to pull, so you’ll get best results with chain off. Maybe.

TimBay

Did you set limit screws with chain off? Again, chain tends to pull, so you’ll get best results with chain off. Maybe.
I did. I believe they're good to go. I also don't think the chainline looks too bad there.

TimBay

added a couple links (little/big) to the chain. It maybe helped a little, but gears 2 & 3 are still grinding on the end of the derailleur. Oddly, 1st gear sounds great, so I'm really not sure what it is. Womp Womp. I think @Tim is going to rescue my bike for me...or fire. I'm getting practice at breaking chains and master links and reattaching them, so I got that going for me.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
added a couple links (little/big) to the chain. It maybe helped a little, but gears 2 & 3 are still grinding on the end of the derailleur. Oddly, 1st gear sounds great, so I'm really not sure what it is. Womp Womp. I think @Tim is going to rescue my bike for me...or fire. I'm getting practice at breaking chains and master links and reattaching them, so I got that going for me.
If the hanger isn't bent, the cage might be. I had to straighten a few twisted cages before. Just a thought.

Generally if it's only a couple gears and everything else is ok on either side something is bent. Most likely it's the hanger. The hanger's purpose in life is to bend or break before the derailleur, and more importantly, your bike frame.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Fire.... new bike

But seriously.... you are losing saddle time. I understand you want to learn to wrench and I am all for that but at the end of the day....whats it worth to you to be able to ride? Perhaps its time to take it to the LBS? Looks like Hilltop has a super fast turn around.

TimBay

Fire.... new bike

But seriously.... you are losing saddle time. I understand you want to learn to wrench and I am all for that but at the end of the day....whats it worth to you to be able to ride? Perhaps its time to take it to the LBS? Looks like Hilltop has a super fast turn around.
Hasn't even been a full week yet. Patience.

TimBay

Big thanks to @Tim for the gear and helping me sort out the noise. Maiden voyage of tje 1x was a success. The cool picture I thought I took, not so much. Fucking touchscreen glooves my ass. Dammit

TimBay

twas the issue?
Eh, the hanger was a little tweaked. He also just bent the lower cage out on the bottom of the derailleur. I think I need to get my chainline a little straighter, which is probably the main issue. But it definitely works pretty great. I'm stoked.

Also like your use of twas.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Fire.... new bike

So I was about to jump on this as well and I’m glad I didn’t. @TimBay had everything installed perfectly. The derailleur was indexed perfectly. From the best I can tell the chainline *might* be off a little bit I’m not 100% sure just by eying it up. We didn’t measure anything and I don’t know exactly what parts he has on there. The very end of lower cage (past the jockey wheel) may have been bent in a little so in the biggest cogs there was a slight rub. It wasn’t really that bad and a little love from a pair of pliers got it dead silent.

I can’t fault anyone for wrenching their own stuff unless they are truly mechanically inept. Money and potentially time saved by doing your own work within your ability leads to more riding. Hell, there are a couple guys I ride with once a week and both have missed a couple rides lately because their bikes were in the shop.

TimBay

So I was about to jump on this as well and I’m glad I didn’t. @TimBay had everything installed perfectly. The derailleur was indexed perfectly. From the best I can tell the chainline *might* be off a little bit I’m not 100% sure just by eying it up. We didn’t measure anything and I don’t know exactly what parts he has on there. The very end of lower cage (past the jockey wheel) may have been bent in a little so in the biggest cogs there was a slight rub. It wasn’t really that bad and a little love from a pair of pliers got it dead silent.

I can’t fault anyone for wrenching their own stuff unless they are truly mechanically inept. Money and potentially time saved by doing your own work within your ability leads to more riding. Hell, there are a couple guys I ride with once a week and both have missed a couple rides lately because their bikes were in the shop.
Yeah! You can't set a bike on fire if it IS fire! Seriously, it was 1 week between rides, so I missed 1 to 2 rides of saddle time. That's not too bad, I think. I also learned a ton in the process of trying to fix it. All in all, it was a great experience and I'm glad I did it (mostly) myself. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and advice.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
So what was the verdict after your first ride on a true 1x with appropriate gearing?

TimBay

So what was the verdict after your first ride on a true 1x with appropriate gearing?
I liked it. I was a bit sluggish and stiff from the start, so it was just a fun ride. It was great having more gear in both directions.
1st time cleaning that climb going up grand where it meets laurel. Decided to head home on the fire road from there, so I didn't get to attempt the super hard climb.

Top Bottom