The Amusement Bike Park

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Sorry, I meant upshift to harder gear.

all of the gears?
could be a lube problem - inside the jackets, at the pivot points, etc.
check the jockey wheels, they crack and get sloppy too.

if you can support the bike - put in smallest cog, put cable by hand while cranking -
see if the derailleur is slow to move.

did you replace the chain recently? how many miles on the chain?

does it grind then shift ? chain wants to jump down, but doesn't, then suddenly it does?

1555590553583.png

TimBay

all of the gears?
could be a lube problem - inside the jackets, at the pivot points, etc.
check the jockey wheels, they crack and get sloppy too.

if you can support the bike - put in smallest cog, put cable by hand while cranking -
see if the derailleur is slow to move.

did you replace the chain recently? how many miles on the chain?

does it grind then shift ? chain wants to jump down, but doesn't, then suddenly it does?

View attachment 93154
I feel like it grinds and struggles a bit when going down the gears to bigger cogs. Then is slow and club is up to the smaller cogs. Sorry the up and down vs large and small is still confusing to me.

Patrick

Staff member
I feel like it grinds and struggles a bit when going down the gears to bigger cogs. Then is slow and club is up to the smaller cogs. Sorry the up and down vs large and small is still confusing to me.

how many miles on the chain?
do the teeth on the cogs all look like shark fins?

trying to decide between wear, adjustment, lube, sumthin busted.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Could be a number of problems
How long have you had the bike? Did you mess around with the tension? Hard for cable to tighten up by itself
Couple of things,
1. Time for a new cable. Maybe its just dirty and something is kinked up in there
2. Housing is too short or too long
3. Fire and new bike.

I would much prefer fire and new bike

TimBay

Haha. Yeah I messed with the tension a bit. I've only had the bike since october and probably put 60 miles or so on it. I messed with tension a while back when it first started being weird but went way too far. Then backed it off but prolly need to back it off more. Could Also probably use a cleaning. I try to give the chain a good clean every 2 rides, but it's been 3 at this point. I guess I should do it this morning so the lube can set for the afternoon ride.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Haha. Yeah I messed with the tension a bit. I've only had the bike since october and probably put 60 miles or so on it. I messed with tension a while back when it first started being weird but went way too far. Then backed it off but prolly need to back it off more. Could Also probably use a cleaning. I try to give the chain a good clean every 2 rides, but it's been 3 at this point. I guess I should do it this morning so the lube can set for the afternoon ride.

When you got the bike, was this an issue? If not, did you change the chain length? If they answer to both questions is no, then it's likely not the chain.

Failing cables, fire.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Ok.... that explains it. Now your bike is FUBARed.
Loosen the tension and shift to the smallest cog. Shift down 1 and turn the crank. Slowly tighten the tension until the chain moves to the next cog and there is no noise. Move the chain to the rest of the gears and adjust as needed.

Patrick

Staff member
Ok.... that explains it. Now your bike is FUBARed.
Loosen the tension and shift to the smallest cog. Shift down 1 and turn the crank. Slowly tighten the tension until the chain moves to the next cog and there is no noise. Move the chain to the rest of the gears and adjust as needed.

you are assuming the low/high stop screws were not turned....

lube. then adjust.

Top Bottom