The Amusement Bike Park

RobW

Did you pick up a new chain ring? I found the brand new 32t race face NW. yours for 25 bones

TimBay

Did you pick up a new chain ring? I found the brand new 32t race face NW. yours for 25 bones
I think I'm gonna stick with 30t for now. Thanks dude. Now I just jave to actually get out on the bike. Hoping for today!

TimBay

FB_IMG_1562177035183.jpg

TimBay

I was starting to wonder this as well but am glad this didn't end up being true! It was cool bumping onto you at Harts yesterday! Looks like you've ridden 3 or 4 times in the last week or so! Nice!
Yeah, had a rough few weeks, tho one of those was all rain. I really want to get out more and am going to try and start doing more morning rides during the week as well.

Been feeling good, but am getting stuck on some climbs. I might have to session one spot on the long climb to rocky point and just get it nailed down. I'm so frustrated that this one spot keeps stopping me from cleaning that climb. That and I need to get my pedal timing down at that downed tree section. I really want to make that without dabbing. Anyway, thise are my current goals. Just gonna take it a section or two at a time.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Yeah, had a rough few weeks, tho one of those was all rain. I really want to get out more and am going to try and start doing more morning rides during the week as well.

Been feeling good, but am getting stuck on some climbs. I might have to session one spot on the long climb to rocky point and just get it nailed down. I'm so frustrated that this one spot keeps stopping me from cleaning that climb. That and I need to get my pedal timing down at that downed tree section. I really want to make that without dabbing. Anyway, thise are my current goals. Just gonna take it a section or two at a time.

You'll get there. Seriously. 2 years I ago I was in your shoes. Some of those climbs were like kryptonite to me. It didn't matter what I did I couldn't clean them...until one day I got one. Another day I got another one and so on. Keep trying and you will succeed. It's a great feeling when you finally nail one of those spots that have been a thorn in your side. It will erase the frustration from the countless previous attempts.

TimBay

Blogtasticness (hear that doogie houser end of episode typing as you read this): So, I've been riding more (though still not nearly as much as I'd like), which is rad. As a noob, I reflected on how much easier and more fun riding is 9 months into this sport/hobbie than when I first started. Simple climbs that I thought I'd never pedal up and would make me breathe crazy heavy are pieces of cake now. Some are still out of reach, but I can just taste that sweet victory and am craving it. I've learned a lot about choosing the right gears and shifting at the right times. Riding with other people has definitely helped. My trail sherpa/guru @Tim has been a huge help and ratcheting/buying a multi-tool stand out as the biggest lessons...other than having a positive cool dude attitude toward the sport and the fact that half my bike is his old stuff. @Paul H pointed out the gear grinding (shifting under load), which I've been working on and getting better at. I'll always remember @jklett saying something to the effect of "my stubborn polish blood doesn't let me quit" which has helped me power through climbs (I'm not polish). @qclabrat just seemed sorta zen out there with his back-of-the-pack style. @Kangdoy is a rad beast. Anyways, this shit is so much goddamned fun.

End sappy shit. Time for noob question:

With my consistently engaged interest in this sport and my constantly infrequent research into the next bike, it's time for Tim's Noob Question...

I've slowly been narrowing down next season's purchase of my full squish trail steed. The ToEG is great and all, but daddy's gonna need a real real biike next season. My choices are based on brands sold by LBSeses because I want to support local business. Here are some of the current contenders and since I want to try and be budget, I'm praying for a 2019 leftover anyways.

Trek Fuel EX 7 - because I shop all my bits and pieces that aren't much cheaper online at my local Trek shope

Salsa Spearfish Deore - because I could probably find an XT drivetrain/brakeset upon purchase and still be under 3k (then fork upgrade eventually) (HIlltop sells them and you know...Vreeland/mtbnj shop)

Salsa Horsethief Deore- all of the above, but more squish (is more squish more better?)

Specialized Stumpy (comp?) - IDK, seems like a good workhorse for these parts.

Anything I'm missing? I feel like SC Tallboy should totally be on the list, but I think they're a little pricier for what you get and I'm trying to keep the bike around/under $3k. If I could get the aluminum R build for under 3k that would prolly be a good option.

Yes demoing yada yada, but aren't most demo bikes the higher end of the series? So I'd be demoing something completely different than these options. How does that actually compare? A Spearfish carbon with GX is going to be a very different bike than a Spearfish with the deore build since a lot of components will be different. Jesus this is long and i have a almost a year to decide. Anyways, hooray for bikes!

Kangdoy

Blogtasticness (hear that doogie houser end of episode typing as you read this): So, I've been riding more (though still not nearly as much as I'd like), which is rad. As a noob, I reflected on how much easier and more fun riding is 9 months into this sport/hobbie than when I first started. Simple climbs that I thought I'd never pedal up and would make me breathe crazy heavy are pieces of cake now. Some are still out of reach, but I can just taste that sweet victory and am craving it. I've learned a lot about choosing the right gears and shifting at the right times. Riding with other people has definitely helped. My trail sherpa/guru @Tim has been a huge help and ratcheting/buying a multi-tool stand out as the biggest lessons...other than having a positive cool dude attitude toward the sport and the fact that half my bike is his old stuff. @Paul H pointed out the gear grinding (shifting under load), which I've been working on and getting better at. I'll always remember @jklett saying something to the effect of "my stubborn polish blood doesn't let me quit" which has helped me power through climbs (I'm not polish). @qclabrat just seemed sorta zen out there with his back-of-the-pack style. @Kangdoy is a rad beast. Anyways, this shit is so much goddamned fun.

With my consistently engaged interest in this sport and my constantly infrequent research into the next bike, it's time for Tim's Noob Question...

I've slowly been narrowing down next season's purchase of my full squish trail steed. The ToEG is great and all, but daddy's gonna need a real real biike next season. My choices are based on brands sold by LBSeses because I want to support local business. Here are some of the current contenders and since I want to try and be budget, I'm praying for a 2019 leftover anyways.

Trek Fuel EX 7 - because I shop all my bits and pieces that aren't much cheaper online at my local Trek shope

Salsa Spearfish Deore - because I could probably find an XT drivetrain/brakeset upon purchase and still be under 3k (then fork upgrade eventually) (HIlltop sells them and you know...Vreeland/mtbnj shop)

Salsa Horsethief Deore- all of the above, but more squish (is more squish more better?)

Anything I'm missing? I feel like SC Tallboy should totally be on the list, but I think they're a little pricier for what you get and I'm trying to keep the bike around/under $3k. If I could get the aluminum R build for under 3k that would prolly be a good option.

Yes demoing yada yada, but aren't most demo bikes the higher end of the series? So I'd be demoing something completely different than these options. How does that actually compare? A Spearfish carbon with GX is going to be a very different bike than a Spearfish with the deore build since a lot of components will be different. Jesus this is long and i have a almost a year to decide. Anyways, hooray for bikes!

Haha! Thanks dude! Always a great time riding with you. Still gotta get you up north! Anyways, I only have experience with the Fuel EX 7 as that was my first FS bike. I was very happy with it and it took it to a good amount of places (Jungle, HM, Wildcat, Mountain Creek, Sourlands). And it held up great. As I learned more about components/gear, I upgraded a few things. Now @jklett is the new owner of it and I'm sure he'll chime in on his experiences other than it has the 'Kangdoy Curse.' I've heard great things about the Stumpy just from reading what people say about it here.

I never demoed the Hightower before buying it. I just went with it and loved it on the first day I rode it. I don't know much about demoing a bike, but the day I got the Hightower, Jay @ Halters made a lot of angle adjustments. Shifters, break levers, handlebar, seat, drop-post. So I'm not sure if they do that on demo bikes? I feel like they just give it to you without making any adjustments to what's comfortable for you. I could totally be wrong, so hopefully someone who's demoed bikes can say otherwise.

Good luck with your research!

Last edited:

Kangdoy

Oh and also check out the warranty on each of those on your list!

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser

Should also look at the Giant Trance 29er
You get a lot of bike for the money

Last edited:

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Haha! Thanks dude! Always a great time riding with you. Still gotta get you up north! Anyways, I only have experience with the Fuel EX 7 as that was my first FS bike. I was very happy with it and it took it to a good amount of places (Jungle, HM, Wildcat, Mountain Creek, Sourlands). And it held up great. As I learned more about components/gear, I upgraded a few things. Now @jklett is the new owner of it and I'm sure he'll chime in on his experiences other than it has the 'Kangdoy Curse.' I've heard great things about the Stumpy just from reading what people say about it here.

I never demoed the Hightower before buying it. I just went with it and loved it on the first day I rode it. I don't know much about demoing a bike, but the day I got the Hightower, Jay @ Halters made a lot of angle adjustments. Shifters, break levers, handlebar, seat, drop-post. So I'm not sure if they do that on demo bikes? I feel like they just give it to you without making any adjustments to what's comfortable for you. I could totally be wrong, so hopefully someone who's demoed bikes can say otherwise.

Good luck with your research!
I’m on the demo tour this year trying out various bikes. Setup has to be done quickly as it’s the equivalent of going to an “amusement bike park” ?. Wait in line then go for a ride. Yes, one will ride the higher end version if they are looking to buy entry level but the geometry should be the same. Components wear out and get upgraded/replaced anyway but you can’t change the shape of the frame(or maybe you can if you crash hard enough). I would recommend that you demo bikes that you have an interest in. Heck demo the entire lineup if you get a chance. I ride mostly Ringwood so I assumed I would want a Mega Tower or Nomad. After riding various demos two of my favorites so far are the Blur and Tallboy 29er. Polar opposite of what I thought I would be interested in. Not much suspension to work with, but such a great peddling bikes. Blur is a cross country rocket and the Tallboy is a more well rounded compromise between cross country and trail. Next on my list to try will be the Ibis Ripley at Jorba Fest. I still want to try a regular Hightower as the Megatower has more suspension than I need as I’m no longer hitting jumps and drops(or at least nothing to write home about). I had enough years of being airborne riding dirt bikes when I was younger and now want to focus more on ripping through the trails.

Tim

aka sptimmy43

Wow man! Thanks! I didn't realize I had influenced you so much. I'm nothing special I just like riding bikes. Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

As far as a new full squish goes I think you are on the right track. I've learned a few lessons the hard way. The biggest one is to demo bikes. That bike that looks great on paper might not be what it seems when you throw a leg over it. Otherwise I would just caution you against going with too big of a bike as far as travel goes. I really love my YT and I like picking fun lines but I really don't need 150mm of travel to ride 6 Mile, Chimney Rock, and Hartshorne. I am sure my thoughts are a little bit of n+1 and just wanting to play with new toys but I am dying to try out a mid travel 29er. I think a bike in that configuration could be the ultimate do-it-all bike. Also, it seems silly, but if you don't like riding with a pack (I hate it) then make sure the bike can fit a bottle and make sure it can fit one big enough for a typical ride.

Should also look at the Giant Trance 29er
You get a lot of bike for the money

You beat me to it. I was going to toss this one out there. I know Giant isn't the coolest brand out there but they make solid bikes at a decent value and their suspension is well designed. The Trance 29 has been getting some really great reviews.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
You beat me to it. I was going to toss this one out there. I know Giant isn't the coolest brand out there but they make solid bikes at a decent value and their suspension is well designed. The Trance 29 has been getting some really great reviews.
Whatever this guy says... take it with a grain of salt

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Whatever this guy says... take it with a grain of salt

He's a cross country/gravel rider. I listen to a lot of podcasts on my commute and one of them is "The Path" on MBR. Those guys ride Megatowers, Transitions, etc. on what sounds like gnarly trails. They also liked the Trance 29 a lot. But it's a Giant. It's never going to get the same love from the bike media that the boutique brands do. I guess they brought it on themselves by being behind the times on progressive geometry and 29ers for so long.

The Pivot Trail 429 looks like a sick bike, but $$$$.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
He's a cross country/gravel rider. I listen to a lot of podcasts on my commute and one of them is "The Path" on MBR. Those guys ride Megatowers, Transitions, etc. on what sounds like gnarly trails. They also liked the Trance 29 a lot. But it's a Giant. It's never going to get the same love from the bike media that the boutique brands do. I guess they brought it on themselves by being behind the times on progressive geometry and 29ers for so long.

The Pivot Trail 429 looks like a sick bike, but $$$$.
Been watching Clint's YT for a few years now
One thing that bothers me about him is that he basically regurgitates whatever Pinkbike or other cycling publication states. I don't think what he says is wrong or whatever... but if you read one article about a paricular topic... no pt of watching his YT. If Clint is your only source, then cool but I really haven't seen too much unique perspective from him. I guess he is a very well informed individual but it would be better if he offers some more unique opinions of his very own.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Been watching Clint's YT for a few years now
One thing that bothers me about him is that he basically regurgitates whatever Pinkbike or other cycling publication states. I don't think what he says is wrong or whatever... but if you read one article about a paricular topic... no pt of watching his YT. If Clint is your only source, then cool but I really haven't seen too much unique perspective from him. I guess he is a very well informed individual but it would be better if he offers some more unique opinions of his very own.

I watch all kinds of bike related YouTube although I don't watch as much now as I did a couple years ago when I was getting into the sport. You've got to take it all with a grain of salt and learn to discern what various phrases might mean. None of those guys (Clint, Pinkbike, GMBN, etc) are going to openly say anything negative. Let's face it, they get provided with products to showcase on their platforms. That will dry up if they start saying bad stuff.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
I watch all kinds of bike related YouTube although I don't watch as much now as I did a couple years ago when I was getting into the sport. You've got to take it all with a grain of salt and learn to discern what various phrases might mean. None of those guys (Clint, Pinkbike, GMBN, etc) are going to openly say anything negative. Let's face it, they get provided with products to showcase on their platforms. That will dry up if they start saying bad stuff.
I recently started watching MTB yumyum. The host-Jason-keeps it entertaining. It’s true most reviews are similar regardless of the source, but I find his vids better than many that I’ve seen. Bike specs are what they are and most of the comments are similar but it’s how it’s presented that creates interest. Not all bike review vids are created equal.

Reactions: Tim
Top Bottom