The Amusement Bike Park

RobW

I liked it. I was a bit sluggish and stiff from the start, so it was just a fun ride. It was great having more gear in both directions.
1st time cleaning that climb going up grand where it meets laurel. Decided to head home on the fire road from there, so I didn't get to attempt the super hard climb.
is that the red hill?

TimBay

O
Status on the chainring?
Ordered longer chainring bolts. Wrote Bikesmiths, but I think it's user error not using long enough bolts. Will probably figure out how to get your 32t on it until I decide on what 30t to get.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
O
Ordered longer chainring bolts. Wrote Bikesmiths, but I think it's user error not using long enough bolts. Will probably figure out how to get your 32t on it until I decide on what 30t to get.

What exactly happened? Pics?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I think it's user error not using long enough bolts.
Been there... done that
Screenshot_20190528-070307.png

TimBay

What exactly happened? Pics?
Shit, I shoulda taken pics. So, using my amazing strength, I put the power down and "snap". The chainring was separated from the spider. It's a 30t so its threaded with built in spacer. I guess I didnt use long enough bolts so they were only really threaded at the thin spacer section and snapped half of them clean off and the other 2 half off. So, after futsing around, jklett had the genious idea to flip the ring around. It sounded a little crunchy at first but made it the rest of the ride.

serviceguy

With longer bolts you should be able tp recycle you chainring, or did the threads were completely trashed? Picture of the broken part?

TimBay

With longer bolts you should be able tp recycle you chainring, or did the threads were completely trashed? Picture of the broken part?
I'll take a pick when it get to wrenching it. My problem is that 2 of the holes are only half broken. So the thickness of the chainring in those spots is larger than the ones that were completely snapped. Right now it's mounted backwards, but I imagine it's directional and this would cause premature wear on my chain.

serviceguy

So you snapped the spacer blocks on two bolting positions? What brand is the chainring? It shouldn't be directional because there's no ring ports to jump from one ring to another, if narrow wide you just need to pay attention on how the chain is fitted, that's all. If anything you may have a worse (or better) chainline.

TimBay

So you snapped the spacer blocks on two bolting positions? What brand is the chainring? It shouldn't be directional because there's no ring ports to jump from one ring to another, if narrow wide you just need to pay attention on how the chain is fitted, that's all. If anything you may have a worse (or better) chainline.
Oh cool. It's a Shun (cheap shit) and is narrow wide. I have spacers to better the chainline, so maybe I'll just go that route. With the long bolts I should be good to go. Jklet said the noise could just be the bit of wear in one direction. It definitely faded a lot as I rode it out.

serviceguy

Oh cool. It's a Shun (cheap shit) and is narrow wide. I have spacers to better the chainline, so maybe I'll just go that route. With the long bolts I should be good to go. Jklet said the noise could just be the bit of wear in one direction. It definitely faded a lot as I rode it out.
The 30t ring is usually the only one with spacers to clear the chain from rubbing on the spider. I would also check that.

serviceguy

Feel free to use the pic I posted above and photoshop it green

Kind of hard to determine the condition of the threads from that picture. So do you guys recommend buying the 'cheap shit' chain ring? They seem pretty consistent... I bought a Race Face 30T 104BCD on sale for $24.99, they're now back to $49.99.

TimBay

Kind of hard to determine the condition of the threads from that picture. So do you guys recommend buying the 'cheap shit' chain ring? They seem pretty consistent... I bought a Race Face 30T 104BCD on sale for $24.99, they're now back to $49.99.
I cant recommend shit as a noob. We got it back on and rode another 8 miles or so on it right there, so I thino theyre fine. Gonna add some spacers for better chainline and use the raceface 12.5mm bolts, which I imagine should be plenty long enough.

TimBay

510 wearers: did your shoes feel tight in the toe? I'm wondering If I should go a half size up, or treat it like ice skates where you get used to it being tight. My big toe feels slightly cramped in the front and side and I feel like the shoe isn't going to loosen up because of how stiffly it's built.

mtbiker87

So.... I just a new pair, and fearing that very thing, went up 1/2 a size. I like the way they fit, but probably didnt have to size up. Never had to in the past either.

Top Bottom